• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What RPM is Redline for a 1972 - 400 engine?

Stock oiling on a B engine is about as good as it gets. oil pump is very much just a good way to heat the oil and stretch the timing chain. Don’t need or want an argument but, the only way I would geHVt on the over-oiling train is, if I have a 10 quart oil pan full of 20w/50 and most door cars don’t have that luxury.
Oil pump is very much just a good way to heat the oil and stretch the timing chain.
EXACTLY how does it do this??? By magic??? Please explain or please furnish the documentation that supports your inferences.....or is this just another one of "my buddy's" unsubstantiated expletives.....curious minds want to know......
BOB RENTON

I have RPM Heads which states - "power from 1500 to 6500 rpm"
And a Lunati - 10230703 which states - "un-equaled power to 6200 RPM"
Lift: .494''/.513''

I have a somewhat stockish valve train with Mancini - "hardened" stock type rockers, chromoly push rods.

and a totally stock bottom end with known miles.

Trying to figure out how far I can push this thing before bad things happen.

Right now, I have a rev limiter set at 5,000 and it's been fine for about a year now, but with the RPM Heads and Cam maybe I can get away with more?

Thanks!
how much oil pressure do u have? it will determine the safe rpm u can hit with out damaging the motor

I think it's around 20-40 It's not real high. Like I say it's a stock bottom end so it just kind of is what it is. Once it dies I'll then make it a stoker or something of that nature. Till then I just planned on keeping it as is.

20-40..for 5500 to 6000 RPM….I’d be putting the HV oil pump you have on! It is a big block and easy to change.

You could try too run it with an extra quart of oil with the HV pump. Really won’t matter though, we have ran a HV pump with stock pans with no trouble at all. Most of the bearing trouble we have had with big blocks is with standard pumps. I know one big block we lost a bearing on was a 72 400 with the standard pump.

Unless the HV pump also has a high pressure spring, it will not pump that much more oil than the stock pump. It depends on how much the pressure is changed. For an engine only running 40 psi it likely won’t run more than 60 lbs with the HV pump, so it hardly changes anything in terms of volume or power requirements.

For power required to drive it (equation for hydraulic Horse power HHP)
HHP = P*V/1714

So if it pumps 40 psi & 10 gph, that is .23 HHP

If the HV pump makes it to 60 psi it will add a couple gallon per minute of flow, but it isn’t enough to matter, a filter is only is ussually only rate for 12 to 15 gph.
60 PSI X 12 gph is .42 HHP

Less than 1 HHP, hardly any change in power or flow.

A stock pump with tight oil clearance and a shimmed pressure spring can require as power and pump as much or more oil than a HV pump. Some of our big blocks engine will run 100 lbs cold. You have a LONG LONG ways to go before you have to worry about drain back problems.

If your only running 40 psi max, I suggest you leave your shift points at 5K. If you want to shift higher, get a HV pump and raise the max pressure so it will live for awhile.

Last edited:
20-40..for 5500 to 6000 RPM….I’d be putting the HV oil pump you have on! It is a big block and easy to change.

You could try too run it with an extra quart of oil with the HV pump. Really won’t matter though, we have ran a HV pump with stock pans with no trouble at all. Most of the bearing trouble we have had with big blocks is with standard pumps. I know one big block we lost a bearing on was a 72 400 with the standard pump.

Unless the HV pump also has a high pressure spring, it will not pump that much more oil than the stock pump. It depends on how much the pressure is changed. For an engine only running 40 psi it likely won’t run more than 60 lbs with the HV pump, so it hardly changes anything in terms of volume or power requirements.

For power required to drive it (equation for hydraulic Horse power HHP)
HHP = P*V/1714

So if it pumps 40 psi & 10 gph, that is .23 HHP

If the HV pump makes it to 60 psi it will add a couple gallon per minute of flow, but it isn’t enough to matter, a filter is only is ussually only rate for 12 to 15 gph.
60 PSI X 12 gph is .42 HHP

Less than 1 HHP, hardly any change in power or flow.

A stock pump with tight oil clearance and a shimmed pressure spring can require as power and pump as much or more oil than a HV pump. Some of our big blocks engine will run 100 lbs cold. You have a LONG LONG ways to go before you have to worry about drain back problems.

If your only running 40 psi max, I suggest you leave your shift points at 5K. If you want to shift higher, get a HV pump and raise the max pressure so it will live for awhile.
EXCELLENT REVIEW AND PRESITENTION. I've mentioned before, on my RS23V0A****** GTX, with 0.002"-0.0025" main and rod bearings clearance and 10W-30 Mobil1 (plus 1 pint ZDDP) oil pressure cold @ 2500 RPM = ~80 psi and at 180 degree temp @ 3000 RPM, oil pressure is 65-70 psi with a HIGH VOLUME PUMP. Standard pan, windage tray and 1 qr over filled (~7qts total) and absolutely no over temperature oil or stretched timing chain. Just thought you might like to know..
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back