• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measuring Pushrod Lenth

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Did my measuring for pushrod lenth and came up with 9.00, outside of cup to end of ball end.
Summit has one that measures 9.030. That should work just fine. So I receive them today and they measure 9.200 from outside of cup to end of the ball.
Too long!
So I guess Comp Cam measures to the inside of the cup? Everywhere I've looked they want the measurement to the total outside. What's what?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-13-21-49-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-13-21-49-58.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot_2015-10-13-21-48-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-13-21-48-59.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 240
Summit lists them as overall length but comp lists them as effective length. They are 9.030 effective and 9.200 overall. Call smith brothers pushrods and order them however you need, just be sure to tell them whether the measuement you give them is overall or effective length.

Figures, Summit even states overall lenth in the add...

Back to the drawing board. What happen to throwing these engines together with what we had laying around!

Mate, the ball end is spot welded in to the pushrod tube, but the cup end is just a light press fit (the summit page states that too). Easily removed, then pushrods best shortened in a lathe with a parting tool. If you can't do it, any machine shop can... I did all mine in under an hour.

A year ago I had access to a machine shop but now I work somewhere else doing QA. Might contact a former co worker!

As stated above, Smith Brothers. Easy people to work with.

You also need to consider the wall thickness which is determined by your spring pressure and cam lift. I didn't see that mentioned on the ad you posted. Smith Brothers or Manton can help you with this.

You also need to consider the wall thickness which is determined by your spring pressure and cam lift. I didn't see that mentioned on the ad you posted. Smith Brothers or Manton can help you with this.

They are 0.080 wall thickness. Sent them back. I contacted my former co-worker and we're going to cut down a long set that I already have. Gotta do what you gotta do!
Thanks to who replied on this. Live and learn!

I used Manton for my pushrods and they did a great job on them. Good luck with yours , Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back