• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercedes 560 SEC vs. Corvette C4 ZR-1

What would you do?

• Sell the 560 SEC and get the ZR-1

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Keep the 560 SEC

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Everyone who has provided reasons to keep the Benz or offer some other alternative you have pushed back on, so obviously you want the ZR1. Just because the ZR1 was designed by Lotus doesn't make parts available.

Last time I looked, C4 ZR1's were not overly cheap which leads me to believe you have arrived at this selection purely because you want one, which is fine, then you should have one.

Everyone who has provided reasons to keep the Benz or offer some other alternative you have pushed back on, so obviously you want the ZR1.

Last time I looked, C4 ZR1's were not overly cheap which leads me to believe you have arrived at this selection purely because you want one, which is fine, then you should have one.

I think that basically sums it up.
Maybe i can find one for a testdrive. That would take the risk out of the equation.

Last edited:
I would keep the Mercedes and add performance upgrades.

I thought about that. But at the end this will probably cost as much as the ZR-1 while still giving lower performance and lowering the cars value.

In this german show they are comparing the 500 SEC (with AMG suspension and bodykit i think it was) with a regular C4 corvette.
Regular Corvette outhandled and won the race.

https://dmax.de/sendungen/youngtimer-duell/kiez-konige-chevrolet-corvette-vs-mercedes-benz-500-sec/

Is a C6 too much for your budget? Some say the C6 has better engines from which to choose.

I rode in a friend's 2013 model year C6. No squeaks or rattles and the interior was holding up well. The paint finish was very good. Great acceleration of course and wonderful exhaust sounds.

https://www.klipnik.com/best-used-cars/which-corvette-should-you-buy-c4-vs-c5-vs-c6/

Last edited:
Well as I said I think you have already made up your mind but what about a SL55 or SL63 AMG? I am very sure they are much better built than any C4 and they look bad ***.

A sports car out handles a large sedan. Do tell:poke::rolleyes::D

There are fast cars and there are fast drivers:D.
I've seen normally aspirated Porsche 944 cars outperform "better cars" at the track (driving day events).

In twisty-turny roads I embarrassed a "better" and very determined SVO Mustang with my naturally aspirated 1984 Shelby Charger. His suspension sucked. He passed me once we hit a long straight section of road. Overall, I was not impressed. The Shelby Charger was always a fun driving machine.

What am I saying? Horsepower doesn't compensate.​

You need a retired 440 powered 1978 Plymouth Fury or Dodge Monaco police car. :D

I voted to keep the Merc.

A new set of BBS wheels (period correct of course) and a few engine modifications, and I think you will have a great GT car. IMHO The Vette is more of a track car. A 500 mile jaunt in a Vette would break your ***. The Merc is bred for the Autobahn. A few upgrades and she will be a whole new motor.

Unless of course you want to make a proper upgrade for the Autobahn and get a BM. :poke:

2011 335xi.JPG
2014 328xi.jpg

2016 328xi-1.jpg

I voted to keep the Merc.

A new set of BBS wheels (period correct of course) and a few engine modifications, and I think you will have a great GT car. IMHO The Vette is more of a track car. A 500 mile jaunt in a Vette would break your ***. The Merc is bred for the Autobahn. A few upgrades and she will be a whole new motor.

Unless of course you want to make a proper upgrade for the Autobahn and get a BM. :poke:

View attachment 1224215 View attachment 1224216

View attachment 1224219

A BMW B6 or a B7 Alpina. That's the ticket!

A proper BMW is probably over budget!

@Michael_
Try using https://bringatrailer.com/ to research selling prices and pictures/descriptions from past auctions. Also, their website will give a plot of the selling prices. Here are screenshots as examples.
Screenshot_20220115-083354~3.png

Screenshot_20220115-081653~2.png
Screenshot_20220115-081845~2.png

What am I saying? Horsepower doesn't compensate.​

I'm not going to pick either choice because I think you need to do some more research first.

The 560 is a known car to you. You have one that is now in excellent shape and should do the job comfortably on the autobahn. However, I can see from the posts here that you really would like an older Corvette, i.e. the ZR-1.

But will you really be happy with the ZR-1 on long trips? Sure, it handles well and has the power. But I think you need to go drive one to verify how you like it and how you fit in it. And when you test drive it, you need to drive it on some "less than ideal" roads. If you then still like the way you fit into the car and the way it drives, then pull the trigger and buy one. Once you sell the 560, it will likely be tough to find another one in similar condition.

He takes 500 mile trips quite frequently.
Quote "That's what I want it for: Being able to cover wide distances as fast as possible on the German autobahn!"
Oh!, he needs a motorcycle! :D

autobahn.jpg

He takes 500 mile trips quite frequently.
Quote "That's what I want it for: Being able to cover wide distances as fast as possible on the German autobahn!"
500 miles won't take much time:rolleyes:
German+autobahn+explained+in+one+gif_088762_5290366.gif

Is a C6 too much for your budget?
what about a SL55 or SL63 AMG?
A BMW B6 or a B7 Alpina. That's the ticket!

It has to be an american classic with sports car performance that i can buy for the money i can get selling the 560 SEC +/- a few grand.
With very few exceptions i'm not into modern cars or cars made outside the united states.

A new set of BBS wheels (period correct of course) and a few engine modifications, and I think you will have a great GT car. The Merc is bred for the Autobahn. A few upgrades and she will be a whole new motor.

Last time i looked, installing a supercharger from koenig specials which would give around 400hp was like 10k.
Probably another 10k for wheels, tires and suspension upgrades?
Then you should probably replace some old parts before adding +160hp.
Then the german tüv might wants me to upgrade brakes despite the stock ones being really good already

The AMG 6.0 engine (naturally aspirated 4V) is made out of unobtainium.

I'm really not a mercedes expert but as far as i know
- You do not have to many aftermarket support like with a 350sbc
- Stuff is going to cost you. A lot!

I'm not going to pick either choice because I think you need to do some more research first.

The 560 is a known car to you. You have one that is now in excellent shape and should do the job comfortably on the autobahn. However, I can see from the posts here that you really would like an older Corvette, i.e. the ZR-1.

But will you really be happy with the ZR-1 on long trips? Sure, it handles well and has the power. But I think you need to go drive one to verify how you like it and how you fit in it. And when you test drive it, you need to drive it on some "less than ideal" roads. If you then still like the way you fit into the car and the way it drives, then pull the trigger and buy one. Once you sell the 560, it will likely be tough to find another one in similar condition.

I absolutely agree.
Finding a ZR-1 i can testdrive should be the next step. Hopefully i can find one. :)

Edit:

Anyone driven both a Viper GTS and ZR-1 Corvette?
How do they compare in driver (leg) room and ride "comfort" ?

It has to be an american classic with sports car performance that i can buy for the money i can get selling the 560 SEC +/- a few grand.
With very few exceptions i'm not into modern cars or cars made outside the united states.

Last time i looked, installing a supercharger from koenig specials which would give around 400hp was like 10k.
Probably another 10k for wheels, tires and suspension upgrades?
Then you should probably replace some old parts before adding +160hp.
Then the german tüv might wants me to upgrade brakes despite the stock ones being really good already

The AMG 6.0 engine (naturally aspirated 4V) is made out of unobtainium.

I'm really not a mercedes expert but as far as i know
- You do not have to many aftermarket support like with a 350sbc
- Stuff is going to cost you. A lot!

I absolutely agree.
Finding a ZR-1 i can testdrive should be the next step. Hopefully i can find one. :)

Edit:

Anyone driven both a Viper GTS and ZR-1 Corvette?
How do they compare in driver (leg) room and ride "comfort" ?

I have a 01 Viper GTS ACR and as I mentioned I had a 96 LT4 Vette, in fact for a very short time I had them at the same time before I sold the Vette. Since you are after a ZR1 I won't get into power, but in terms of ride quality I would say that they are relatively similar, however the Viper far out handles the Vette. That said, the price of G2 Vipers is skyrocketing at the moment.

I have a 01 Viper GTS ACR and as I mentioned I had a 96 LT4 Vette, in fact for a very short time I had them at the same time before I sold the Vette. Since you are after a ZR1 I won't get into power, but in terms of ride quality I would say that they are relatively similar, however the Viper far out handles the Vette. That said, the price of G2 Vipers is skyrocketing at the moment.

Thanks, thats good to know. :)

I have my decision made.

I will not take the risk of selling the 560 SEC just to find out that i do not like the ZR-1.
So i will try to find a ZR-1 that i can testdrive.
If i really like it i will sell the 560 SEC and buy a ZR-1. If not i will just keep the 560 SEC.

I dont know any other car in the 30k range that i think could be an improvement over the 560 SEC
given my personal perferences. (Of course there will be many that perform better)
So if i can't testdrive a ZR-1 then that's too bad and i just keep the 560 SEC for now.

That said,
There is a big us car dealership about 50 miles from where i live that also rents new c8 corvettes and everything.
They sold two first gen ZR-1 corvettes last year.
I tried to rent them but they didn't let me. I dont get it since the C8 is worth much more.
But it shows that it wont be easy to find one for a testdrive...

C4s are plastic junk, but it being a ZR1 it will hold some value in spite of itself.
I just recently passed on a low mileage 05ish SL55 in AMG trim for $20k. The only reason was it was a 2 seater. A legit 200mph car that had enough tech for its age that could sent a rocket to the moon. Quality is typical Mercedes
When it came out it was limited to 185 as the tire technology did not support it. With the right tires it can be unlocked . Great place to be and have one of these in the stable.
Ive had my used Merc for a year and love it.

Auto Transport Service
Back