• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal ceilings

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
Any one using one in a cold environment that heats their barn? I was considering metal instead of drywall but I’m concerned it could sweat? Any tips or tricks?

Shouldn’t sweat so long as you have 6 mil vapour barrier then insulation. If ceilings were to ‘sweat’ You’d have a lot of moody drywall out there wouldn’t you. Vapour barrier and insulation are the key.

Shouldn’t sweat so long as you have 6 mil vapour barrier then insulation. If ceilings were to ‘sweat’ You’d have a lot of moody drywall out there wouldn’t you. Vapour barrier and insulation are the key.

do I need the vapor barrier even with faced insulation?

Spray foam insulation is popular nowadays too and also acts as a vapour barrier. In my parts it’s a bit more spendy though. Check with your local building supply companies for direction on this. Also exteriors specific supply companies will have the latest on all the roofing technologies available to you.

Last edited:
Not a cold environment.. as I have R52 in the ceiling, but you'll love the light reflection and clean look of just using galvanized roofing for a ceiling..
DCP01361.JPG

We have steel ceiling and tube heat, Spray foam insulation, dry ceiling all winter here in Iowa.
maddie cullen b day shop sept nov 081 (640x480).jpg

I live in an actually cold place. Lotsa metal ceilings and walls in garages and wash bays, etc.
Vapour barrier is key. In Canada by code it is, I think, 6 mil plastic which is very thick, not like Saran Wrap. Fibreglass batts under that.
At least here the facing on insulation is no longer considered vapour barrier.

I have a small unfinished room in my shop. metal roof, un-insulated, always dry........ my floor however, in the insulated area; sweats horribly on humid, rainy days when the temperature is right..... go figure

I have a metal ceiling in all my exterior ceilings with blown in cellulose insulation and no vapor barrier. Last I checked steel holds water quite well. I keep the shop at 60* minimum most of the time. Mid Michigan.
Mike
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back