• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal vs Wood Garage ? What would u do?

I'm planning on:
  1. Metal
  2. 14' wall
  3. 40' wide minimum
  4. 60' long
  5. Hurricane rated 125 mph. Open span inside. See pic below.
  6. Steel reinforced concrete slab
  7. 3,000 psi concrete
  8. 4" thick except thicker around perimeter and piers.
  9. Insulated film (forget what the e stuff is called)
  10. No electric
  11. No plumbing
  12. Doors & windows extra.
  13. Above was quoted two weeks ago: $24 per square foot "turn key"
  14. Clearing lot and all stumps: $4,000 and is my responsibility to sub out.
  15. Dump truck loads of "dirt" is my responsibility to sub out. Around $400 per load.

Not going with wood because of:
  1. stratosphere pricing for lumber.
  2. contractors not interested in building anything but houses they can slap up in a hurry. It's been this way here for the past 8 years.
  3. termites.
  4. all manner of wood boring insects
Screenshot_20210314-195546~2.png

I'm planning on:
  1. Metal
  2. 14' wall
  3. 40' wide minimum
  4. 60' long
  7. 3,000 psi concrete
  10. No electric
  11. No plumbing
  15. Dump truck loads of "dirt" is my responsibility to sub out. Around $400 per load.

2. contractors not interested in building anything but houses they can slap up in a hurry. It's been this way here for the past 8 years.
  3. termites.
View attachment 1083957
Better get that is writing. Concrete alone averages about 8.00 a square foot.

Better get that is writing. Concrete alone averages about 8.00 a square foot.
Absolutely ! Insurance company sent an appraiser to our place 4 years ago trying to drop our coverage after 25 years and he assessed our (open frame, uninsulated) 5000 square foot x 16' wall hangar alone for $458,000 CDN to replace if it burnt to the ground.. and concrete don't burn.

Last edited:
Have you looked into the curved building's a buddy of mine put his own up with family helping. He put up a stem wall to raise up the building to give him more space on the side's. Which seem to be the problem with those type of building's. Or if you search on line you can find building's that have been ordered and are lying in fields. Cheap but shipping can push up the pric.

Have you looked into the curved building's a buddy of mine put his own up with family helping. He put up a stem wall to raise up the building to give him more space on the side's. Which seem to be the problem with those type of building's. Or if you search on line you can find building's that have been ordered and are lying in fields. Cheap but shipping can push up the pric.

I did the metal company said he cannot put it up unless it was re-engineered again due to insurance issues, and that usually don’t touch them. Biggest problem is I don’t live there full time and work much overtime so I’m at the mercy of the builder. I just need to research more and get more quotes. And concrete alone is a large cost of this project also with lumber.

Insurance is another important part to check into metal is usually cheaper to insure, more fire resistant

Curved building's stand wind load's better. Then one my friend built bolt's together. Once you get the first section up the rest goes easy. Raising it up on a stem wall also keep's the metal bottom out of the water. That help's stop it form rusting. He had to get a bigger front roll up door due to the stem wall height. Make sense. If I was going to build another shop think that is the way I would go. Well good luck on the search hope you get what you want.

Archs such as the one used in corrugated arch metal building are inherently strong. The important thing to remember is that at the base and and arch wants to spread out when loaded vertically. Vertical loads include the structure itself and items attached to it. Any stem wall would need to be designed to resist the lateral thrust of the arch when loaded.

I built metal, with aircraft hanger insulation. Warm, dry and quiet enough

I built a 70x120 with 16 tall walls, 5/12 pitch, which the peak sits at 24 feet at the very top. with the the 16 ft sides I could make the building a two story if desired. The building was built by Astro
I did wood 6x6(every seven feet)
114.JPG
frame with aluminum siding.26 mil,,,,16 years and has not moved an inch. I did wood frame because in nebr wood frame is taxed at 30% of value. Steel frame is 90% of value.

That should get you over 30 feet at the center with a 5-12 pitch. A 3-12 pitch would get you about 24 feet at the center.

Outlawd is right. My garage is a wood frame pole barn type building with sheet metal roofing and siding panels. Cell service is bad. I have to step outside to talk. But, its no big deal to me.
Same here. 36X48 all steel with wood frame. Who wants to be bothered with phone calls when you're in the shop anyway? :drinks:

I'm surprised that brick hasn't come up in this conversation!

P1010680.JPG

My 26 x 48 shop is attached to the house. 2 x 6 frame construction, clad with pre-finished wood siding to match the house. Inside I finished the walls and ceiling in metal siding. Makes it very easy to surface run all electrical in conduit and also a bit of fire resistance. Industrial chic look.

I am finishing up my garage build now. I went with a pole barn, steel over wood. I hung a steel ceiling in it. Ceiling's 16ft high, having blow in insulation done on top. Running 2x4 up walls between the posts, putting roll out R16 between boards covering with drywall. I would never work in an unfinished garage. So far, floor is concrete and painted polyasperic, ceiling is almost finished, LED 8 ft lights in, all wiring is done and power connected to the shop.
It's 60x64x16, so far I have nearly 85k in it. And it's not done. It'll be a few years before I can afford to do my rooms inside. Economy and prices suck.

I am finishing up my garage build now. I went with a pole barn, steel over wood. I hung a steel ceiling in it. Ceiling's 16ft high, having blow in insulation done on top. Running 2x4 up walls between the posts, putting roll out R16 between boards covering with drywall. I would never work in an unfinished garage. So far, floor is concrete and painted polyasperic, ceiling is almost finished, LED 8 ft lights in, all wiring is done and power connected to the shop.
It's 60x64x16, so far I have nearly 85k in it. And it's not done. It'll be a few years before I can afford to do my rooms inside. Economy and prices suck.
Pictures? I just had floor poured last week. 85K that’s good with everything you have done. Who build your pole barn?

I'm planning on:
  1. Metal
  2. 14' wall
  3. 40' wide minimum
  4. 60' long
  7. 3,000 psi concrete
  10. No electric
  11. No plumbing

3. termites.
View attachment 1083957
That bubble insulation lasts about 10-15 years. I have that in my.shop. The tape used degrades, however, and you'll start to see bits come off the wall after a time. I intend to have foam used on the sidewalls this Fall, to replace that bubble stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back