• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern lifters on a 'chilled' cam core?

TetanusShot

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
I want to use an old Isky cam, but it calls for chilled iron lifters, can I use modern lifters instead?

Solid Flat Tappet, 300 lbs open pressure.

I guess a more helpful question would be, have any of you tried it?

No, the correct answer is.....

Call Isky, ask here, ask other places, get as many opinions as I can, professional or otherwise. Then make as informed of a decision as possible.

I think you both are sort of right. There are knowledgeable people on the internet, and there are those half wits who have an opinion based on, well, nothing. But they will offer advice anyway.
I’m not starting, participating in or supporting a troll war here, but if I was you
I’d ask here only, and ask the Camfather (Isky). Too many opinions can muddy the results.
When I was selecting my cam I asked here only and received helpful, informed, correct answers by a few guys who explained how they came to their conclusion.
I got some half wit bullshit too, but not much and it was obvious enough to ignore.

There once was a guy I knew that If you asked him a question like this he would say "it's good enough for your ****..." what he wouldn't say is " it's dumpster food" or "I wouldn't use it in my engine". If you like the grind on this particular bump stick I'm sure there are comparable shafts from Isky, Comp, Racer Brown just to name a few that would give you piece of mind when your sweaty hands reach for the ignition switch for the start up and cam break in..... cams and lifters are cheap compared to a do over...IMO

Why run an old design at all? Only reason, tight budget? MO.

You’re right.

I’m sure there are tons of people who can give you accurate advice on using a cam designed to use with lifters that probably haven’t been used in over 30 years........ a style of cam that almost none of the current crop of cam suppliers ever offered.

Hmm, ya don't say. Well with such a limited knowledge base among the current crop of cam suppliers like you've suggested, I guess I should try to track down some older folks that have actually used them back in the day.

Like on a forum or something...

Like I already said..... you’re right.
110% right in fact.

I’m sure you’ll get several responses from people more qualified to answer questions about a camshaft that has a unique lifter requirement than the place that actually made it.

So, I’m wondering....... if 50% of the answers said you needed chilled iron lifters, and 50% said just use regular lifters...... how would you proceed with your build?

Is there a percentage of answers that said “go for it” in terms of using std lifters that you’d feel comfortable doing so?

Actually, I couldn't give a rip what peoples' opinions are. I only care to hear from those who have tried it and failed or tried it and succeeded.

Seeing as you don't fall into either of those groups, sorry I wasted your time with a technical question on your special day.

you must use chilled iron lifters on a hard faced camshaft, max spring pressure on a flat tappet is 350lbs. You can use more on a hard faced cam

Auto Transport Service
Back