• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar day at Milan

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Decide to go break in the new slicks since this is the closest track to me. A chance to open the carbs up all the way and take the ballast out. So I broke down and screwed the rims this time. Tack was not good on the 1st hit. spun 1.291/9.10 2nd hit worse 1.316/9.134. O take 5 clicks out of the front shocks. That's way better 1.268/9.069. run 4, spin again 1.288/9.074. Saturday morning race day weather predicts 9.07. The track feels stickier in the burnout than the starting line, the result 1.329/9.112. So now need to make a decision. I've never pulled timing to kill power in this car. Today is the day pull it back to 29 degrees. This works. It hooks and carries the front end, 1.273/9.107. Rd 1 weather predicts 9.12 with only one run of data for 29 degrees. I draw a new 1320 Challenger. .038/11.779 on a 11.78 I case him down .032/9.109 on the 9.12. Take a .015 stripe and lose, buy back opponent red lights and I coast to a 9.16. Run predicts 9.109. Rd 3 I draw a Dart .004/10.286 on a 10.24. I'm dead late .091/9.085 on a 9.10. This is my 3rd bad light in the last 3 outings. Wouldn't have mattered if I was .020 result would have been the same. But it has too change NOW. Learned something here as the car though a touch slower was good in very poor track conditions (complaints of 11 second cars spinning).1.273-1.287, not stellar but very good for what it was. Now the 9.085 at 29 degrees, wow picked it up at the back half went 1.281/[email protected]/[email protected] weather was the same all day 1.039-1.044 correction. Not sure why it picked up .016 from 660-1320? No wind all day. Going to Kentucky for the Mopar Southern Classic next week.
Doug

Last edited:
Excellent info! Curious, after removing 5 notches of rebound did your car come up more on the launch? It picked up on the 60' so it liked it.

Excellent info! Curious, after removing 5 notches of rebound did your car come up more on the launch? It picked up on the 60' so it liked it.
It was just leaving flat. So, yes loosening it helped. With normal track prep it has plenty of transfer with the front tightened up. but as it turned out even that wasn't enough. I was told they fired the track prep guy after the "Hellcat fire video". In case you haven't seen it.
"https://www.motor1.com/news/363215/dodge-demon-burns-driver-officials-argue/
Doug

[QUOTE.1.273-1.287, not stellar but very good for what it was. Now the 9.085 at 29 degrees, wow picked it up at the back half went 1.281/[email protected]/[email protected] weather was the same all day 1.039-1.044 correction. Not sure why it picked up .016 from 660-1320? No wind all day. Going to Kentucky for the Mopar Southern Classic next week.
Doug[/QUOTE]
Doug ,
have heard of this before . Guys used to /still have a timing retard in the top end . Timing needs can change there . Didn't Grumpy Jenkins run a cable to distributer to retard timing ?
Know your pain with the lights , sometimes you just fall off the horse

Tex

As I think about it I moved my foot positionon the pedal further up. Why , dont know. Lol go back and test.
Doug

As I think about it I moved my foot positionon the pedal further up. Why , dont know. Lol go back and test.
Doug
Doug,
Was it your car that the gas pedal broke?
Could anything have changed with that?

Yes it was my pedal that broke. Pedal is still stock. But lately for some reason (why? I don't know) I feel the need to move my toe to the top instead of the middle. I'll report back this weekend.
Doug

sounds like a nice (race) day anyway

I was out there with my Charger. I didn't have the Challenger ready in time. Everything seemed to be up this year, larger swap area, more cars in the car show, more cars racng, and of course prices up on the swap meet parts. Yikes, you Mopar guys are nuts with your prices. Lol. I know, where else are you going to find it?

I had issues with the stock pedal assembly. I went to a lokar set up and had to raise it off the floor to get a "full pull". How ofte to you check for full throttle?

Had just checked it. It wasnt quite there so I bent it. Did that cause the failure or was it on it's way out? Dont know. Its tig welded now. I check it often as pulling it back from full throttle to run 9.25 is common.
Doug

I had issues with the stock pedal assembly. I went to a lokar set up and had to raise it off the floor to get a "full pull". How ofte to you check for full throttle?
i switched over to the lokar unit also,,,full throttle was the reason,,its really sensitive on the right foot,does not have the feel of the stock unit,have to be really careful driving around..not sure i'm going to leave it in.

Moving my foot back fixed it. Averaged .023 R/T last weekend. Semis Saturday, Won Sunday. Back to Milan tomorrow hunting for the GLSSA championship.
Doug

Rained out again.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back