• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOPAR PERFORMANCE 6.4 HEMI CRANKS NO START

Polara426

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Working on my Charger restomod disconnected the battery to pull the Vintage air box to fix a leak. re-connected battery cranks but no start. Did not have a scanner with me can hear the fuel pump. The car started when I moved it this morning then wouldn't start after I finished. WHAT TO LOOK FOR? crank sensor?

You're blind without a scanner. Even if it's no spark, no fuel or both there are so many things it could be.
Doug

I’m not sure if this was pulled from another car or new dealer box engine? If it’s a used car engine you could have anti theft system issues. Check the basics, do you have spark? Check injector pulse .. if you have those usually cam / crank sensors are good. Pull a coil out of the hole, stick some plugs in it and have grounded to check for spark, use a noid light that fits the injector plug and check for the light to flash. Make sure you have good grounds! Generally crank fires spark, cam fires fuel.

Not an experienced late model mechanic, but my gut is saying.....plug whatever you unplugged back in lol. Maybe something inadvertently got jarred loose?

Thanks guys for the input I will be look at it next week bring the scanner and test light I may have unplugged something inadvertently.

Did you try holding the throttle slightly open while cranking ? Sometimes a disconnected / dead battery can cause memory loss and the computer must relearn idle mapping .

Excellent point 70hemirag ! I’ve seen them loose their idle after a dead battery several times.

Got the Vintage air box back in hopefully found leak small pinched o ring. When I was finished hooked up my battery that I had charged and car fired right up. So it was one of two things low voltage on battery or a couple of ground wires that I had disconnected when I pulled the box. I did not have time to trace the grounds can't remember if they were for the ignition I will trace them next time I work on the car. Thanks for the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back