• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor plates

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Motor plate in what to do about old mount brackets on k member. Do i leave them or cut them out.

Whap em. And while you're at it cut it for more oil pan clearance
Doug

S29.jpg

S40.jpg

Motor plate in what to do about old mount brackets on k member. Do i leave them or cut them out.
If they’re not in the way and you think you might use them again in the future, leave them in. Otherwise cut em out

I did the cut for oil pan already. Dvw very clean work. I was going to cut them out then reinforce gear box mounting plate. But i see you didn't do yours so mine would be good without. Thank you on the pic

I left mine alone, cause I have the mounting brackets, and it's a real big block 62-65 k-member. And I might someday decide to put them back.

If it's a V-8 K member, maybe trade for a /6 unit?
Mike

I did the cut for oil pan already. Dvw very clean work. I was going to cut them out then reinforce gear box mounting plate. But i see you didn't do yours so mine would be good without. Thank you on the pic
If you look close there are 2 pieces of moly tube supporting the gear box plate.
Doug

If you look close there are 2 pieces of moly tube supporting the gear box plate.
Doug
I saw that i will add to mine. Did you powder coat or just spray.

While your at it, whack the ears off on your block too. And yes mine are.

While your at it, whack the ears off on your block too. And yes mine are.
Okay great i wondered about those. I'm also wondering about which water pump housing to use and on your frame rails i see you went to the top and side is this for extra strength.

Okay great i wondered about those. I'm also wondering about which water pump housing to use and on your frame rails i see you went to the top and side is this for extra strength.
Dvw, that post was for you. Frank i will whack the ears off the block.

I used the aluminum water pump housing from 440 Source. Big weight saving from the cast housing.

Yep i get the aluminum but what side should the down spout be on. Driver side or passenger side. Alt will be low on passenger side or driver side over oil filter.

Yep i get the aluminum but what side should the down spout be on. Driver side or passenger side. Alt will be low on passenger side or driver side over oil filter.

Depends on what radiator you have, most are using the housing spout that's on the left side.

I've got a low mount aftermarket gm one-wire, hung under the ear on the pass side, driver side connection for the lower hose, hooked to a Cordoba big block high efficiency radiator.

Don't know that the plate brackets really needed to be that fancy. But I liked the way they look. I like to fab stuff. Single stage urethane. Any pup housing will work. You can trim it the plate thickness if you want the pulley alignment to stay.
Doug

Here's mine. Flat plate off the housing bolts, spacers made to locate the alternator, through bolt into the elephant ear tapped hole, and an adjusting arm underneath, also off the pump housing. All home made.

20211115_085938.jpg 20211115_085921.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back