• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MP cam P5007697AB

66383charger

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi
Lost the cam card for my cam.... it was a few years and moves ago.
While I can find most info on the web, I'm specifically looking for the cam timing @.050
Where (degrees) are the intake and exhaust open and closing.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Thanks bud,
I have the victory tab open, they list older cams but not mine. The numbers are close, but CL is different. I found the durations and lift numbers on the web. Just wanted to know the open and close numbers.
Can they be calculated?

You can’t accurately calculate the duration at .050 based off any info published by MP.

If you really want to know what the duration @.050 is on your cam, you’ll have to measure it.

If you’re just degreeing, the c/l method will work just fine.

110-112 intake c/l is where I’d be shooting for.

Thanks bud,
I have the victory tab open, they list older cams but not mine. The numbers are close, but CL is different. I found the durations and lift numbers on the web. Just wanted to know the open and close numbers.
Can they be calculated?
You need a cam doctor. OR, install the cam and degree wheel and get to work. As PRHeads says below.... If you are just degreeing the cam in, the centerline is fine. Once you have that, you can rotate the cam and read the degree wheel. Not very scientific I know.
You can’t accurately calculate the duration at .050 based off any info published by MP.

If you really want to know what the duration @.050 is on your cam, you’ll have to measure it.

If you’re just degreeing, the c/l method will work just fine.

110-112 intake c/l is where I’d be shooting for.
This is true. I don't know what MoPar used off hand to calculate but everyone seems to come up differently. All they give us is there .850 multiplier number.

There’s no magic to determining the duration @.050 if you have a degree wheel and a dial indicator you can set up to read off the lifter or pushrod.

Since in this case its a single pattern cam you only need to do one lobe.
Doing an intake lobe, after setting up your indicator to read directly off the lifter or pushrod, rotate the motor until the lifter is on the base circle of cam...... zero out indicator.......turn engine clockwise until you see .050” lifter rise.
See how many degrees before or after TDC that point is. Write it down.
Keep turning clockwise up and over the nose of the lobe until you are back to .050 before the base circle.
See how many degrees you are before or after BDC. Write it down.

For the opening side of the cam, anything before TDC is a +, anything after is a -.

On the closing side, anything before BDC is a -, anything after is a +.

One note here, unless the cam is very short duration, it will almost always have a closing point ABDC(@.050), but with the smaller hot street cams it’s not that unusual to have the opening point be ATDC.

Take the opening and closing points, add together, and add 180.
That’s the duration...... at whatever tappet lift you used(.006, .050, .100, etc).

For this particular excersize(determining duration at a given lift), having the cam properly degreed in isn’t necessary.
If all I’m doing is measuring the cam, I put the cam in dot to dot, eyeball TDC, and line up the pointer with the zero on the wheel and start taking readings.

In this example, a cam with [email protected], that just happened to be installed @110 c/l, the numbers would be:
IO@ 11BTDC
IC@ 51ABDC
11 + 51 + 180 = 242

However, if it was a cam that was like [email protected], also in at 110 it would be:
IO@ 4ATDC
IC@ 36ABDC

-4 + 36 + 180 = 212

If you took the time to properly zero out the pointer on the degree wheel before measuring(not necessary for determining the duration @.xx lift), you would also be able to use those numbers to determine the theoretical lobe c/l, as it’s installed at that point.

Using the 242* example.......
242/2 = 121, minus the IO point of 11 = 110*
Using the 212* example......
212/2 = 106, and since the IO point of -4 is on the other side of TDC, you now have to add it back in, which puts it at 110*.

Last edited:
Actual cam specs need to be measured, not assumed,or calculated. My 1st drag racing cam was 2* off on intake centerline. All motor dimensions need to be measured, not assumed.

Actual cam specs need to be measured, not assumed,or calculated. My 1st drag racing cam was 2* off on intake centerline. All motor dimensions need to be measured, not assumed.
LOL, true, if your serious about it....

if it's only a lobe center change and you have the .050 timings for one lca you can calculate for the other lca have the centerlines too

Auto Transport Service
Back