• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD pro billet

They are good products, but i feel your pain.... I know there is a compatibilty chart somewhere! MSD is good, so they've been scooped up by the big boys, now riding the wave of success, same ol story. Anyway, the instructions dont seem to say, but they do show the unit being used with a BLASTER2. I'd give that a try, so you know for sure. Then if it still does'nt work, you have a bad component somehow.

Ok update
Took MSD off put the Mopar ignition back on car fired up on fast idle (auto choke) warmed up dropped to 900 rpm set base timing to 11 degrees of base time hooked up vacuum advance and me and the dog went for a drive. Car runs perfect.
I only bought the MSD because when the ignition module failed last summer I had heard the MSD is much more reliable and some performance gains low RPM. When I could not get it to run right last summer I sent in to MSD and put the Mopar in with new module. I had a free Saturday yesterday and thought I would give it a try again. I am not 100% sure of this but wonder if the super coil 3 is not compatible with the ready to run distributor. I bought everything from a speed shop where I buy almost everything. They treat me well and I will quiz them this week. The engine is built to pretty much 69 HP 440 spec so it is a pretty mild build. Looks like I may have made a 600 dollar MSD mistake.
Thank you everyone for your input I just could not make the system work.
Sweet!!! Glad you got it worked out. Sometimes things just get weird man.

I recall the "Ready to Run" MSD stuff was very different than the "normal" stuff. Compatibility?

I recall the "Ready to Run" MSD stuff was very different than the "normal" stuff. Compatibility?
The thread title is MSD Pro Billet but by mentioning the vacuum advance it has to be their ready to run unit which is similar to GM HEI. It requires the MSD coil but does not use an ignition module. Without more information, it’s hard to pinpoint the issue here.

I agree with Hemirunner. You state that the stock Mopar electronic ignition "system" works fine, which I understand to mean that you're using the Mopar orange box. If I remember correctly, the MSD ready to run ("RTR") dizzy doesn't use an ignition box, power goes to the coil then to the dizzy. If you are using the orange box, you have to bypass it. I had the same issues back when I tried the MSD RTR dizzy and I was going through the orange box. Ended up selling the RTR dizzy as I had just invested in the Rev-n-Nator orange box (now I have the correct MSD dizzy that requires the orange box to work, just need to install it, maybe over this winter).

Reading through this thread looks like a major wiring error. MSDs have to bypass a lot of the stock ignition, especially when using and msd box too. I always use them in my Mopars. But I use the pro billet not the ready to run.

Auto Transport Service
Back