• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

I am very impressed with your panel sir. The oops makes sure you remember who did the work! No big deal there.

PS...my car is back in the game!:thumbsup:

A whole lot of welding . . .

Holy cow . . . there is a whole lot of welding that needs to get done back here . . . and I'm on it . . . kinda hard to weld when the sweat is falling off your face . . .

But I'm working my way through it . . . and the work is coming along pretty well too . . . here's the rib and the translation from new metal to existing trunk metal . . .

sm_removetirewell12.jpg

And the driver side corner - with some of the initial grinding being done . . . lot more work . . . but jope to have this wrapped up this weekend . . .

sm_removetirewell13.jpg

Then onto the next project . . . I need to replace the cross member for the shocks - at the rear end - that I cut out of the car - want to replace it with a new fabrication that will allow me to move the upper shock mounting locations as I wish . . . working on a plan . . .

I am very impressed with your panel sir. The oops makes sure you remember who did the work! No big deal there.

PS...my car is back in the game!:thumbsup:

Great news KB67 . . . I really wish we could have worked out something with the tremec 5 speed . . . but I understand - GREAT news that you're up and running again ( I knew it wouldn't take you very long to get it back together ! ! ! ) YAY ! ! !

And you're so very right about the "ruh-roh" . . . this car may not be perfect . . . but I am working on it one step at a time . . . including all the mess ups that I have to correct
( a good fabricator can hide his mistakes . . . ok - I'll try - but I can't hide a bead that it permanently embedded in the trunk of my car for the world to see )

( wait - carpeting ! ! ! )

Last edited:
Fixing my ooooops . . . .

And who's bright idea was it to work on Welding when it's 90+ degrees outside ! ! ! . . . wait . . . that was me . . . ARGH ! ! !

Here's the little corner that was mis-cut . . . being corrected . . .

sm_removetirewell14.jpg

And my doodling with my markers again . . .

sm_removetirewell15.jpg

Got most of the welding done - need to go back over it and find the pin hole and get them fixed . . . and

Back to the MAG technology . . . MIG And Grind . . . ( repeat . . . over and over again . . . )

And . . . after all the welding and whole lotta grinding . . . I've got a "new" trunk in the Belvedere that now looks like this . . . .

sm_removetirewell16.jpg

Got some more cleaning up to do and the grinds, and get this into primer . . . and I'll have the trunk done . . .

Last edited:
WOW, Looks great Sasquatch! I'm really liking the bead work, should stiffen it up nicely.

Looks fantastic but I do have a question...what are you doing for a fuel tank? Obviously the original tank isn't going to work now, so are you going to trunk mount a fuel cell or hang something underneath where the spare tire well used to be? Might want to figure that out now and add some channel or box tube between to hang things or mount from above. Just a thought :p

Looks fantastic but I do have a question...what are you doing for a fuel tank? Obviously the original tank isn't going to work now, so are you going to trunk mount a fuel cell or hang something underneath where the spare tire well used to be? Might want to figure that out now and add some channel or box tube between to hang things or mount from above. Just a thought :p
I figure a non convertible tank would likely work??? They are mounted under the floor or are they not?

I'm trying to research that and get an answer for my fuel cell now - might have to fab it up myself - hope my TIG-ing is up to the challenge ( no pin holes )

More fun . . . Yay !

68+ had flat tanks there but diff filler style. You can plug pin holes by using a tank sealer kit. Its how I made sure mine would hold first try.

Finally the trunk is in epoxy primer . . .

Got back into the hot shop and got some more work done on the trunk . . .

First, got all the metal prep work done . . .

sm_removetirewell17.jpg

Then got it shot with epoxy primer . . .

sm_removetirewell18.jpg

Looks like I need some more practice on straight beads with my bead roller ( this was the first beads I've ever done ) . . . but the intent was to try and mimic the lines, spacing, and the look of the other beads in the trunk . . . I like the final result . . .

Made a trip up to Michigan, to help my mom out with some things, and needed a rental car to get from the airport to her house . . . so I opted with this for the rental . . . Now I could get really spoiled in this thing, but then again, I'm very happy with my "old-school" muscle cars and street rods . . .

am_rentalcar.jpg

Boy was that thing a blast to drive . . .

Finally the trunk is in epoxy primer . . .

Got back into the hot shop and got some more work done on the trunk . . .

First, got all the metal prep work done . . .

View attachment 361438

Then got it shot with epoxy primer . . .

View attachment 361439

Looks like I need some more practice on straight beads with my bead roller ( this was the first beads I've ever done ) . . . but the intent was to try and mimic the lines, spacing, and the look of the other beads in the trunk . . . I like the final result . . .

Made a trip up to Michigan, to help my mom out with some things, and needed a rental car to get from the airport to her house . . . so I opted with this for the rental . . . Now I could get really spoiled in this thing, but then again, I'm very happy with my "old-school" muscle cars and street rods . . .

View attachment 361444

Boy was that thing a blast to drive . . .
Like the beads and the trunk!! My next purchase is a bead roller too, so I can do My trunk floor where I cut the well out so the exhaust will exit through the 70 RR bumper.

Car show weekend . . .

Had the Fall Auto-Fair at the speedway this weekend, so spending the day at the track looking for stuff cut into the building time - but sure helped the motivation to get this thing on the road and driving.

I did get some work done on the fabrication of the replacement rear upper shock mount ( the flimsy bent sheet metal that one wonders how it works ) . . . and I've got the first piece of the puzzle in fitted into place . . . This will be welded to the floor and frame, to add strength to the trunk flooring and to the car twisting . . .

sm_removetirewell19.jpg

Tucked up against the floor - need some additional supports where the shocks will be mounted . . .

sm_removetirewell20.jpg

Saw this very different ( and very cool ) setup on a Dodge Pickup - with a straight 8 . . . it was at the Car Show . . . ( love the rebar too )

sm_carshow2016fall01.jpg

And thought I finally found my rear wheels for my car . . . but the tires are 16" wide and my wheel wells are barely 16" wide . . . darn - he got them in error and I could get a grat deal on them ( it was not meant to be = unless I use a BFH to make more room )

sm_carshow2016fall07.jpg

Bought this pump and ram ( thanks to 747Mopar ) to build a hydraulic press . . .

sm_carshow2016fall02.jpg

This Jeep was parked right next to where I was parked - boy do I like the looks of it !

sm_carshow2016fall03.jpg

And thought this would be the coolest utility vehicle for around the property . . . very cool !

sm_carshow2016fall06.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure . . . the weather was so nice, and so was the scenery ! ! !

sm_carshow2016fall04.jpg

Just gotta say WOW ! ! !

Last edited:
Roll the lips on those wells, might gain a half inch or so. I have barely 15" mine and the tire I want is the same kind and tread pattern is those but 15" section width and 13" tread width. I might have to go down one size to clear everything. It depends on how low I like the stance once I get it outdoors and can see it from the side from a distance.

Roll the lips on those wells, might gain a half inch or so. I have barely 15" mine and the tire I want is the same kind and tread pattern is those but 15" section width and 13" tread width. I might have to go down one size to clear everything. It depends on how low I like the stance once I get it outdoors and can see it from the side from a distance.

Already rolled the lips on the wells - had to "build" my own 67 panels - de-humped the outer-inner wheel well and replaced it with a complete flat piece of steel - the only way for me to gain the needed room is to cut into the frame and bulge the quarter panel . . .

Love the wheel and tire . . . but I'm out of room to make it fit unless I do major surgery on the wheel well ( again ) . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back