• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

What a year this has been . . . and fighting with getting into the shop and this shock mount . . . ARGH ! ! !
But . . . I think I've finally got something figured out and I'm on my way to getting this thing fabricated and installed in the car ! ! Finally . . .

Here's the brackets that I was drilling today . . . I'm happy with the results . . . and I think that they'll work out just fine . . .

Multiple holes, they've all been match drilled, and will allow adjustment in 1 1/2 increments . . .

20161115_205348.jpg

And the side view of the brackets and how they'll be supporting the top of the shock - just a tad more sturdy than the original flimsy stamped sheet metal brackets

20161115_205307.jpg

hey kahn hows it going. been working on the car. got some updates.

Sorry for the long delay USARR . . . I'm hoping to be back on this thing ( and get past this stupid upper shock mount ! ) . . .

He's been pulling nails with that claw hammer :D

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah . . . been working and getting some things done around the house, and was up helping 747Mopar build his shop . . . now he's got me wanting to build my shop

( I need a bigger shop BADLY )

Here we go . . .

Got one side aligned - fitted - and cleco'd in place . . . making progress . . .

sm_shockmounts03.jpg

Now to get the other side the same way . . . then tack it so the fitment can be checked . . .

The angle is do to the angle of the shock as it moves further inboard . . . need to get it tacked and make sure that I've got enough angle and spacing for the top of the shock as it moves inboard . . .

Got a bunch done on the shock mount today - funny how it goes faster when you figure something out . . .

Got it temporarily fitted and cleco'ed together to see what it would look like . . . then tore it all apart and moved things around . . .

First - the test fitted version . . . cleco's included . . .

sm_shockmounts04.jpg

Then after moving things around, got it all tacked together - like the way it's shaping up much better now . . .

sm_shockmounts05.jpg

Then it's time for the test fitting up under the car and between the frame rails . . . so far . . . so good . . .

sm_shockmounts06.jpg

Here's a closer side view of the assembly . . . in place . . .

sm_shockmounts07.jpg

All in all - like the progress and the results thus far . . . and especially the fact that I'm finally making some progress on the car ! ! !

Got back in the shop and welded up the entire bracket - no more tack welds . . . I think I can pick up the entire car with this bracket ! !

First of all . . . don't know who "snuck" into the shop and did this welding . . . or I've come a long way on my welding . . .

sm_shockmounts08.jpg

And how it will look under the car with the shock in place . . . it'll hold much better than the original support.

sm_shockmounts09.jpg

Looking good on that mount. :thumbsup:

Is it that mount ? ? Or is it dis-mount ? ? ( snicker )

now were talking, back on the vert kahn. looking good.

Yes indeed . . . and it feels good to be back at it . . .

I'd mount those mounts!

Thanks Goon . . . much appreciated ! ! !

Got back in the shop and made some great headway on the upper shock mount . . . added an L-brace to the front to allow me to weld it to the floor . . .

Driver side . . .

sm_shockmounts10.jpg

Passenger side . . .

sm_shockmounts11.jpg

Shock mounting in the first hole . . . works nicely . . .

sm_shockmounts12.jpg

And mounting in the inboard holes still has clearance too . . . looks like it's going to work . . .

sm_shockmounts13.jpg

And I've got it tacked into place so that I can come back next time and look at it with fresh eyes to make sure it's aligned correctly . . .

Looks good!!! That's some pretty nifty engineering!

Thanks Mike67 . . . really appreciate that . . . trying my best . . .

nice welding job!

Thanks Glenwood . . . not use to welding and spending 5 minutes grinding . . . usually it's the MAG ( Mig And Grind tecnology ) which mean a lot of grinding after my welding . . . LMAO

Got a chance to get back in the shop tonight and do some work welding the shock support bracket in place . . . it's coming along nicely . . . Bodywork ( guess what I'll be learning next ) is looking like it's in the near future for me . . . Oh boy ? ? ? ?

Back in the shop again tonight . . . Did I ever tell you that I hate welding under the car, upside-down, with the molten metal falling down ! ! ! I think I've got the new shock mount welded in solid and pretty much completed.

Bring on the bodywork . . . ugh . . . now I get to learn how to do bodywork . . . Oh Boy ! ! ! Are we having fun yet ? ? ?

Did I mention . . . how much I hate welding under the car ( sure wish that I had a rotisserie . . . that would be GREAT ! ) . . .

YES! The Vert is getting it's do lovin!!!!!!!!!
Glad to see you back at it. Nice work on that mount, looks plenty beefy for sure! Great hearing that your getting ready to start on the bodywork too, did you figure out anything for heat yet? Can't wait!!!!!

Thanks for all the help on the garage bud, meant a lot and I really appreciated it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to repay the favor..... and the sterio lol. For those who don't know Larry... He came up over a weekend to help finish up pouring my walls and kick off the framing where I evidently made some remarks about needing tunes on the job. I came home later that week to a package on my door, after my wife told me she hadn't ordered anything I open the box and there's a Dewalt sterio!!!!!! Who comes to your house, works like a dog then sends you a gift? Still can't figure him out haha.

Just picked up a new shop press off CL for my shop last night . . . this thing is almost like new and barely looks used at all . . .

sm_newshoppress.jpg

20 Ton . . . porta-power type . . . couldn't pass the price . . . Might just get the pump and ram rebuilt with quality parts so it'll hold up . . .

Nice score, won't know how you've lived without one once you start using it.

Auto Transport Service
Back