• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Ha Ha and you thought you were close :) The next words of wisdom I can give is if you think you know where it is low/high it is really low/high at least 4x larger than you think. When you slather the filler where you believe you need it take it out 4x from where you planned to and and make it way thicker than you think. It will be about right!
Good advice, saves a lot of time putting more on the first time rather than adding and adding and adding lol.

So . . . it was a very interesting day with my activities today - Nice weather, and able to work on things outside . . .

Since I was outside working today, my "little buddy" was out there too - keeping watch for me . . .

sm_bodywork133.jpg

Jim told me about glazing compound, and that the low spot is really 4X what you think . . . so, I figured I use the Chevy II as my "experimental guinea pig" . . . filling in the side emblem holes and trying to get the panel straight . . . here what I had when the feathering was done . . . Thanks Jim ( or is that thanks a lot Jim )

sm_bodywork136.jpg

Time to check in on the puppy dog . . . yup, he's still on high alert - no one going to sneak up on me today . . .

sm_bodywork134.jpg

With the Chevy II in progress, I needed a break from more sanding, so I broke out the Belvedere hood to fill in some more holes . . . Weld in the PLYMOUTH mounting holes and the hood ornament holes . . .

sm_bodywork137.jpg

And grind down the welds smooth . . .

sm_bodywork138.jpg

Check in on the guard dog . . . S - L - A - C - K - E - R ! ! ! Asleep on the job ( again ) LMAO . . . .

sm_bodywork135.jpg

And the finished product . . . holes all welded and ground down . . .

sm_bodywork139.jpg

Back side of the welds looking pretty good too . . .

sm_bodywork140.jpg

Sprayed on some base coat and clear on the panel . . . to see how it looks . . . and no more holes . . . YAY . . . color, is OK ? ? ?
( not really - too gray and should be more blue - oh well )

sm_bodywork141.jpg

Got back into the shop and sanded the passenger rear quarter panel, thinking I was about 90-95%, but with Jim's input . . . I guess that puts me at 70-80% instead ( going backwards ) . . . but I've got glazing compound and practice on the Chevy II that I can now apply to the Belvedere and make it look that much better - just remember the spot is 4X bigger than you think, then sand it off . . .

Nice to take a little detour and get the hood welded up . . . YAY ! ! !

Looks like some good all around progress for both of you! I think Titus had the harder job keeping watch of course but you got a fair bit done too! :)

Finally got the word back on the transmission today . . .

"something in the valve body was destroyed over time ( the truck is a 98 - that's 19 years old ) causing high line pressure and the result of that is the second gear bands getting spun around the housing and not engaging correctly. That apparently destroyed 2nd gear . . . was not ready today, so I'll be waiting until Monday to pick it up.

The rebuilder stated this about my rebuilt transmission - "this m-fer is built the best way that it can be"

In addition to that I'll be upgrading
- - brand new torque converter ( not a remanufactured )
- - new Flowmaster catalytic converters and piping ( was getting an engine code that indicated bad cat )
- - new MagnumFlow Cat-back stainless muffler setup

Hope to get the truck up and running better than it's been running in a long time . . . anxious to get it back together and on the road.
( hope that this will make me good for the next 19 years now )

That tranny doesn't sound like fun at all but the new exhaust should be a bit more enjoyable, you doing the exhaust?

Love the Titus pics, looks very comfy lol.

Spent most of the morning at the local pull-a-part ( or in my case it's "tear-apart" ) trying to find replacement covers for my 66. The gas fill cover that I had originally got for the 66, ended up being installed on the 67 Belvedere . . . and I really like the way it turned out . . .

So here's the (2) candidates that I got for the 66 . . . both will have a handle by the drivers seat to open the cover.

sm_gasfillcovers.jpg

I pulled the one on the left first . . . but in thinking about how "square" the shoebox looks, I also grabbed the one on the right . . . from the color, you can see that the original cover ( red ) had a finger grab that prevented it from being flush with the car. As I was waling around the lot, I found the other cover ( that is in place ) that is fully flush . . . which is the cover that I would probably use if I go with the square cover . . .

Or do I go with the oval cover just to make it different ? ? ? I'll have to put some thought into it . . .

That tranny doesn't sound like fun at all but the new exhaust should be a bit more enjoyable, you doing the exhaust?

Love the Titus pics, looks very comfy lol.

The transmission turn out to be something that "must" be done . . . it's not too bad, but if I had a lift it could have been much easier ! ! !

Exhaust . . . hummmmm . . . what do you think ? ? ?
After all that I've learned on the Belvedere, I don't see why I would not try and do it myself . . . ( I think I can fabricate something if it needs a little TLC . . . )

Note: Can't wait to hear the new exhaust system on the truck . . .

Titus is really a treat - I tell people that I rescued him, but in reality, I think that little fellow really rescued me instead . . . it's so great to have him around.

I'm liking the square gas door for the shoebox but I think either option would look pretty trick.

That truck has served you well it's definitely due for its share of TLC. Should give it a whole new rumble breathing through new exhaust. With the mileage on that truck it definitely doesn't owe you a thing! Lol

Got some more TLC for the daily drivers that needed to get done, so I had to finish up a bracket for the shoebox . .

Made a new brace with ball rod ends, left had thread on one end, right hand on the other - to allow tensioning the alternator belt.
Needed to make a bracket to get it attached to the alternator - this was the final fitting for the bracket.

sm_chevii01.jpg

Add paint, and get it ready to put into the car . . .

sm_chevii02.jpg

Outside of the block needing some cleaning, and painting, here's the final product - worked out very well.
( replaces a "quick" simple bracket that I needed to keep the alternator from vibrating )

sm_chevii03.jpg

Car show coming up in just about a month, and I'm trying to get this thing cleaned up - and I need it running while the truck is out of service . . .

Sorry to stray off the belvedere - but this stuff needs to get done . . . ( sigh )

The parts for my truck have arrived and are all ready to be put back into the vehicle . . .

The new exhaust system . . .

sm_truckparts01.jpg

The rebuilt transmission and new torque converter ( the repair sheet states that high pressures made a mess out of the old one )
And this rebuild was quoted as being done the right way . . . can't wait to see how it drives . . .

sm_truckparts02.jpg

And the new catalytic converters too . . . was getting engine codes die to them - so it's a whole new exhaust going in . . .

sm_truckparts03.jpg

Have you checked oil consumption? The 5.2-5.9's have a tendency to blow out the intake gasket (under the manifold) and that lets oil in the manifold. Usually the #4 or 8 cylinder is fouling the plug.

Have you checked oil consumption? The 5.2-5.9's have a tendency to blow out the intake gasket (under the manifold) and that lets oil in the manifold. Usually the #4 or 8 cylinder is fouling the plug.

Had to replace the whole intake manifold about 4-5 years ago, so the intake gaskets were all replaced at that time. Going to replace the rear main seal ( while I'm this far into this already ) and get that cleaned up. I'm not even dropping any oil on the ground - but at 19 years and 315,000 miles . . . I think the rear main seal could use a new one . . .

Thanks for the suggestions 5.7Hemi - much appreciated !

No problem, but it's also a reason why the cats get plugged up and don't do their job.

If I'm correct to given the age that's a 5.7 (350) in that truck too isn't it Larry? Or is it a 305?

Chevy! Disregard what I have said. I thought you had a Mopar.

Chevy! Disregard what I have said. I thought you had a Mopar.

5.7 hemi is going into the belvedere , but my chevy truck ( daily driver ) does have a Chevy motor in it - oh well . . .

Larry you need a hobby brother!!! LOL!
I definitely agree with Goon on the filler door, oval would be obtuse with all of the straight edges/angles...
Thats the one thing my father in law forgot to do on his 67 and he regrets it...

Last edited:
I'm liking the square gas door for the shoebox but I think either option would look pretty trick.

That truck has served you well it's definitely due for its share of TLC. Should give it a whole new rumble breathing through new exhaust. With the mileage on that truck it definitely doesn't owe you a thing! Lol

Hey Goon . . . I have to agree with you on the rectangular cover . . . It's more in line with the style of the rest of the car . . .

5.7 hemi is going into the belvedere , but my chevy truck ( daily driver ) does have a Chevy motor in it - oh well . . .

Thought you might have been thinking this was my 5.7 Hemi for my Belvedere . . . no fear . . . I still appreciate that you're looking out for me 5.7Hemi ! ! !

Larry you need a hobby brother!!! LOL!
I definitely agree with Goon on the filler door, oval would be obtuse with all of the straight edges/angles...
Thats the one thing my father in law forfot to do on his 67 and he regrets it...

Hey Mike . . . so you think I need a "hobby" . . . LMAO . . . why's that . . . because I've got 14 different things going on at my house and I'm trying to keep them all straight ? ? ?

Haven't even shown the airplane that I'm building in my garage . . . all aluminum 300 HP, 300 MPH cruiser that is currently on hold while the Belvedere get some love and attention . . . ( smile )

I'm leaning toward the rectangular one . . . it's the same as the one I've got on the Belvedere . . . looks nice . . . so sorry that your father-in-law didn't think of adding it, I guess that I just want to be different . . . ( lol . . . and I am )

Last edited:
Got a replacement rear main seal for the truck . . . since I was this far into it . . .

And . . .

sm_rearmainsealleak.jpg

It was hardly leaking at all . . . I mean, only a little bit, from the bottom . . . maybe . . .
The darn thing was a hard as a rock and I'm glad that I got it done . . . maybe that will help ( a little ) of the oil that I lose ( but it doesn't leak where I park ) . . . it's all on the oil pan ! ! ! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back