• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

One step closer . . . got the threaded inserts welded into place on the passenger side so my seats can now be "officially" bolted down . . . YAY ! ! !

sm_passside05.jpg

Next step . . . figure out how I'm going to mount the emergency brake to the tunnel, and get it connected through the floor pan . . . this should be a whole lotta fun . . .

Working on the mounting for my emergency brake . . . and making some progress . . .

Needed some threads in a piece of steel, so I cut off some square stock, and used my drill press to true up the top and bottom ( the pieces were hand cut )
Here's what I did on my drill press to true it up . . . works pretty good too ( wish I had a bridgeport ! )

sm_ebrake01.jpg

Need two of these things threaded . . . got the first one done, and was working on the second one when . . .

sm_ebrake02.jpg

ARGH . . . so frustrating . . . I'll be off trying to find a new tap now . . .

And believe it or not . . . I had to run the mower over my yard this weekend to clean up some of the tall growing "weeds" . . .

Hey Larry, that tap looks a little dry. Are you using lots of tapping fluid? Four flute taps work well if you can find them.

That's pretty smart using the drill press. I never thought of using it for that before!

Hey Larry, that tap looks a little dry. Are you using lots of tapping fluid? Four flute taps work well if you can find them.

Yeah, messed up and didn't use anything . . . my engineer friend already steered me in the right direction - Thanks - mess up, and learn . . . LOL . . .

story of my life! lol

And . . . I should have known better too . . . after all the help my engineer buddy has provided to me
( I'm not a metal worker - I'm trying to learn this stuff - and learning my "lessons" along the way )

try tapping stainless steel! it's a real treat. Done lots of it in food plants over the years.
I'm no metal worker either and right there with you trying to learn it all. You're doing quite a nice job on the body work. I doubt I'll have the patience to get those body lines nice and straight like you're doing.

try tapping stainless steel! it's a real treat. Done lots of it in food plants over the years.
I'm no metal worker either and right there with you trying to learn it all. You're doing quite a nice job on the body work. I doubt I'll have the patience to get those body lines nice and straight like you're doing.

Kraken works pretty good ( thanks 747Mopar ) . . . get enough of that in you and all the lines are straight ! ! ! ! LOL

I should have said I wasn't much of a metal worker when I started this project, but looking back over all my posts, I've sure come a LONG way . . . Great to learn new things.

Good thing about metal:
- - mess up, cut it out, and try it again
- - mess up on the weld and you grind it down ( my MAG techonolgy - Mig And Grind )

can't quite do that with wood . . . LMAO . . . it burns ! ! !

You have definitely come a long way Larry and like I've said before I admire your determination to tackle anything and learn new skills!

Love seeing any and all progress on the Belvie

Better night in the shop tonight . . . and some progress . . .

Got this done this past weekend ( after I broke the tap ) made the outside passenger brace a full support brace.

sm_ebrake03.jpg

The I picked this up at the local got-everything store . . . tap and it came with the needed H drill bit too

sm_ebrake04.jpg

The one that I broke was a 4-flute . . . I was going to make a smart-arse comment about flutes . . . but . . . behaved instead . . .

sm_ebrake05.jpg

Notice the difference of the Sears Craftsman tap ( that broke ) and the new one I just purchased - Big difference . . .

sm_ebrake06.jpg

And, with the new tap ( and a little lube ) we have success . . . YAY . . . ( blew it and had the part in the previous picture - don't tell anyone )

sm_ebrake07.jpg

At the bottom f the pic you can see the (2) square threaded parts welded into the U-channel . . . and at the top, the E-brake that I want to use

sm_ebrake08.jpg

Bolts into the U-channel quite nicely ( the E-brake is from a Jeep - just to keep it in the Mopar Family )

sm_ebrake09.jpg

Here it is positioned next to the driver seat where I want to relocate it - looks like a good spot . . .

sm_ebrake10.jpg

It'll be convenient, and easy to get to . . .

sm_ebrake11.jpg

And it seems to have enough room to not be bothersome, in the way, but there for easy access . . .

sm_ebrake12.jpg

I think it'll be installed with some welded in nuts, so that it can be moved around ( as needed - if needed ) . . .

You have definitely come a long way Larry and like I've said before I admire your determination to tackle anything and learn new skills!

Love seeing any and all progress on the Belvie

Thanks Goon . . . much appreciated, and motivational too. I'd say that I'm thinking outside the box, but I don't think I've found the box for this project yet . . . LMAO . . . just keep designing and building

( note: did you see the Fer Racin' speed holes on the side of the U-channel ? )

Thanks Glenwood . . . got it done tonight, with the help of a little lube - as for the bodywork, you're the one that is in control of the outcome, I may not be able to get it "perfect", but with research, and reading, and friends help, I'll sure give it my best shot so I can say I did it myself ( and with a little help from my friends )

Keep at it . . . I'm having a blast with this project ! ! !

Last edited:
Life is keeping me busy and getting in my way of progress on the Convertible . . . ARGH ! ! ! !

Got a car show coming up this weekend, so I run the '66 Shoebox in to get the tires rotated and balanced. As the guys at Discount Tire if they know how to drive a 3-on=the-tree and they assured me they did - I offered to drive it into the shop for them - they said they were fine.

So first, they could not drive it into the shop, the kid got the gears messed up ( it happens to me once in a great while - no big deal - 10 second fix ) - they do the work and I head home, only to pull into my garage and set the parking break . . . and I have this . . .

sm_chevyIIhandle01.jpg

They Didn't have the courtesy to own up to it - and let me know that they broke it - I don't care that it broke, but TELL me you did it.
Yes - they got a visit yesterday after work -to inform them of the breakage . . .
So I really like having a welder and "some" creativity . . . so I grabbed a piece of pipe, and welded it onto the part that was left to make it useful.

sm_chevyIIhandle02.jpg

Then I come home from work today, it was just a tad windy today, and I find this . . . in the backyard . . . thankfully it missed everything.
Looks like I'll be cutting up some firewood . . . I was worried how long that tree would last - I know now . . . not too long.

sm_treedown.jpg

Those 3onatree can be a pain! I used to drive one on a mid 60s ford van for delivery work in high school. It used to jam in 1st if you didn't feather it into 2nd. Then it was a pain ro unjam it. Worked pretty good until another driver got it jammed and drove for miles until it dropped a rod.

It's been windy here too and i have a few trees that are worrying me here. So far so good!

Yeah - just gotta deal with the stuff as it comes at us . . .

So I've got a 3-on-the-tree and a tree-on-the-ground . . . but I can't complain - still love this property that I've got ( but it looks naked with that tree missing ).

Look at the good job that the wind did on laying this tree down . . . missed everything
( don't know that I could do that good with my aim )

sm_goodlanding.jpg

And I've had my doubts with this tree - and I was right - I think this tree got hit by lightning a couple years ago ( most of the center is bad )

sm_badtree.jpg

The tree is down, cut up into big chunks - mostly moved and cleared - I'll get it cut up into firewood when it's not late and getting dark . . . another day . . . more excitement . . . ( sigh )

And I won't have to worry about the stability of that tree anymore - either . . .

Last edited:
Now for the wiper pivots, and adding a zurk grease fitting . . .

First start a hole with a centering drill bit . . . ( marked a black spot on the bottom of the pivot with it in the car so they can be accessed in the car )

sm_wiperpivot01.jpg

Got the centering hole done on both pivots . . .

sm_wiperpivot02.jpg

The drilled the hole until it touched the shaft wiper . . .

sm_wiperpivot03.jpg

Then ground the tip off the bit to get a better hole down to the shaft . . . drilled both till it hit the shaft again . . .

sm_wiperpivot04.jpg

Then had to cut the end of the tap off to allow the cutting teeth to engage and start the thread cutting . . .
Continued cutting the end off until I got good threads in the hole . . .

sm_wiperpivot05.jpg

TaDa .. . . tapped the hole - we've got threads . . .

sm_wiperpivot06.jpg

And . . . last but not least . . . add the zurk grease fitting . . .

sm_wiperpivot07.jpg

ready to add grease . . .

Larry everything is looking awesome! Your welds are are looking great too! Everyone says all you need is seat time...I guess so!
Take care buddy!

Got another part in the mail today for the car . . .

sm_wilwoodmaster.jpg

My Wilwood master cylinder . . . and bracket from MF Racing . . . Very Nice ! ! !

Out in the shop again - working on the body work and trying to get this blended in properly . . .

One step at a time . . . This is where I patched the driver side quarter panel into the car . . .

sm_bodywork142.jpg

Making some great progress Larry and as usual looking good. :thumbsup:

I envy that your attending shows already although the weather seams to have shifted to Spring up here.... with the rain too.

A little advice, look for some tap magic. WD40 is a poor lube for tapping holes, tap magic is made for just that and works great.

Auto Transport Service
Back