• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Sidetrack - work on other project

Got a set of new rotors for my other project, and wanted to get them cross-drilled. So I visited my friend's shop . . .

Here's the plain rotor - as I bought them , , , ,

sm-plainrotors.jpg

In progress working on the drilling - after putting the vents into a CAD program to make sure we hit the vents . . .

sm-rotorsinprogress.jpg

Should turn out just fine ! ! !

Finished product

Got it done . . . not too shabby . . .

sm-rotordone.jpg

Will be doing the same thing to the rotors on my Belvedere . . . looking forward to it !

Trying to convince myself I'm having fun . . . I'm having fun . . .

I'm having fun . . . I'm having fun . . .

Uh, it's not working . . . but the undercoating is now gone from the passenger side ! ! !

First the before picture . . .

sm-emptypassengerside.jpg

Then the after picture . . . got tired of the bucket being half full . . . half empty . . . half full . . . half empty . . .

sm-passide1.jpg

Notice the bucket, number 3, is in the picture above . . .

sm-passide2.jpg

Almost done with all the undercoating removal now . . . .

I'm sure glad I decided to keep my undercoating..... I just use a pneumatic descaler to remove all loose undercoating, top coated everything in black paint and then added new undercoating to the entire underside of the car. Looks brand new.

I'm sure glad I decided to keep my undercoating..... I just use a pneumatic descaler to remove all loose undercoating, top coated everything in black paint and then added new undercoating to the entire underside of the car. Looks brand new.

Now you tell me . . . Thanks Kevin ! !

Ta da . . . after a week of delays, master is finally out . . . peek in the hemi . .

well . . . I knew it was going to happen, I was finally going to get around to getting that master cylinder out of the car . . . and today was the day . . . it's finally out. Didn't get distracted today on other projects . . .

So, the empty engine compartment . . .

Guess that means I'm going to be living in the engine compartment for about a week trying to get it all cleaned up and in primer . . . maybe paint . . .

sm-masterremoved.jpg

Still wonder what they used to make the hole, a hammer and a dull screwdriver . . . nice job . . .

First look . . . removed the oil pan from the 5.7 . . . here's what I've got to work with . . .

sm-insidehemi.jpg

This needs to be in the engine compartment . . .

The undercoating removal continues . . . ugh . .

Got a little time in the shop today, and pulled off and stored all the brake lines to get them out of my way.

Then it was off to undercoating removal . . . it's gotta get done sometime . . .
Got started here in the corner then remembered to take a picture . .

sm-reardriverundercoating.jpg

It seems to be on nice and thick back here . . . oh boy . . .

sm-moreundercoating.jpg

same thing in the wheel wells . . . more fun . . .

sm-wheelwell.jpg

So . . . the removal begins . . .

sm-removalrearstarts.jpg

Guess what I'll be working for for a while . . .

Concord NC Car Show - found a great deal

Attended the bi-annual Charlotte Auto Fair ( but it's at the speedway in Concord ) . . .

Found a great deal on a full set of casters for moving your Mopar . . .

sm-moparmover.jpg

Do I paint them or just use them as is . . . the usual quandary . . .

sm-mirrors.jpg

Also found this set of Mopar mirrors - Driver side with remote - Passenger side fixed ( this one is spoken for )

If anyone is looking for a remote Driver side Mopar mirror - they're only asking $10 for it and I'll probably be going back to the show tomorrow and could pick it up for you . . . get in touch with me and let me know.

Sent you an email. Grab that second mirror for me too!

Will do Kevin, I will be heading back there today. The rain appears to have blown through and I've got a couple things that I'm going back to check on.

Not a bad show - saw some nice Mopars and I though they had decent prices on them - but I didn't look at them too closely. The Spring show down here, usually in April is HUGE. Probably 4X what was there this weekend. You'd need a full week to be able to sort through all the stuff - but you've only got 4 days. I'll be looking forward to come April - might need to be looking for parts for my car by then . . . I hope.

Couldn't leave them alone . . . primed

Just couldn't leave them bare metal - not here in NC, they would be rusted in no time at all.

So they're in primer now and protected.

sm-castersprimed.jpg

Also got one of the leaf springs off my car and all the attachments removed so they can be cleaned up. Need to find and order new bushings for the leaf spring so they'll be ready to go back into the car when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

Sent you an email. Grab that second mirror for me too!

Interesting show . . . 3 inches of rain last night, that all started about 3 pm with a light rain, then rained all night. Well, many of the people at the show apparently gave up on the weather, packed it up, and headed home. All the people that I had planned on visiting again today were gone - including the guy with the mirrors.

UGH ! Sorry Kevin, was not able to get the other driver side mirror.

Yes, I'm kicking myself for not picking it up in the first place as passing the deal on to the members here on FBBO . . . next time I'll learn ( maybe ) . . .

I feel your pain, I sat with a propane torch and chisel in my hand for quite some time. Funny thing is when your way past that and doing the fun stuff you don't seam to remember the misery only the fun "until the next project". Enjoy

I feel your pain, I sat with a propane torch and chisel in my hand for quite some time. Funny thing is when your way past that and doing the fun stuff you don't seam to remember the misery only the fun "until the next project". Enjoy

So true so true . . . but when one is working on their car, isn't it "all" fun . . . in hindsight ? ?

With the music blasting in the background, you can get into the "zone" and just work to get it done, knowing the result you want to obtain.

Just thought - propane torch, in NC in the Summer with 90+ and 90+ humidity . . . that would be really bad !

I'll get the thing done my way and someday enjoy driving it ! !

Oh, saw a 1966 Belvedere Convertible at the car show today - one of the only ones I've ever seen at the shows . . . makes me anxious to get it done since it is such a rare car to see these days . . .
( which is part of the reason I'm re-building this 67 Belvedere ! - heh heh yeah, I'm different alright . . . )

UGH ! Sorry Kevin, was not able to get the other driver side mirror.

Thanks anyway and thank you for grabbing the one I needed already. Don't fret over the drivers side, I have a nice one with the remote operator in the shed for the drivers side and this one was going to be the spare. I just decided that at the price wtf was I thinkin for not telling you to do that the other day!?

Thanks anyway and thank you for grabbing the one I needed already. Don't fret over the drivers side, I have a nice one with the remote operator in the shed for the drivers side and this one was going to be the spare. I just decided that at the price wtf was I thinkin for not telling you to do that the other day!?

You and me both . . . what were we thinking . . . Argh !

Clearly we weren't. In my defense I was in the garage sniffing paint fumes working on that door....

Now what's your excuse? haha

Uh . . . sun beating fiercely on my head making me hallucinate . . . wait, it was overcast and raining . . . raindrops beating on my head making me hallucinate ? ?

Does that work ? ?

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't get too much shop time tonight, but was able to get the other leaf spring detached from the rear end, and get all the brackets removed, and then get some more of my third bucket filled with undercoating. Got a chance to see how bad the front rocker corner is on the driver side of the car. It's going to take some rebuilding.

Still thinking about mini-tubing the wheel wells to make sure the wheels will fit under the car and noticed a noticeable protrusion on the inner fender that looks like the tire rubs - might need to make some modifications to it to move it further out and not have the wheels hit. Anybody have a similar modification that they've made to their car for better wheel clearance ? Sure would like additional input.

Also, moving the spring perch in 3 inches . . . basically in the middle of the frame rails . . . how does that affect the shocks and shock positions ? Trying to get more information on this spring movement so that I know what I'm getting myself into . . . before I start it.

Saw a 1966 Belvedere convertible at the car show, and it had some nice wide wheels on the back, an no modifications. Still think I'd like to mini-tub it and make sure a bigger tire will fit without hitting. The research continues . . .while I'm removing undercoating . . .

I think my coronet had 285's on the back when I got it with no rubbing but I am only going to put a 265 on it now. As for experience with moving the perches in, you'll have to wait for another to chime in here.

Oh and I'll accept your excuse...its just as good as mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back