• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

YOU should have weighed those buckets mate.. I wonder how much lighter your car is going to be once you are done! ;)

YOU should have weighed those buckets mate.. I wonder how much lighter your car is going to be once you are done! ;)

Ha, ha, ha . . . one step ahead of you, got the first bucket saved in a plastic bag and will continue to do so . . . I'm thinking the same thing, how much weight will be taken off ?

Do I count all the metal that I'm cutting out too ? What about adding frame connectors = guess that's an "add" weight ! ! !

That must be factory undercoat i'm guessing since the metal is clean

That must be factory undercoat i'm guessing since the metal is clean

Yes it's factory . . . and the fenders are in really good shape - yes ! But 45 year old undercoating want to stay put . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Well . . . the surgery was a success . . . the undercoating has been mostly removed from the front fenders. All that's left is to break out the wire wheel, dodge the flying metal spurs, turn black from flying undercoating removal, and finish cleaning these things up before they get media blasted.

Final view of the undercoating removed from inside the fender - finally . . .

sm-frontfenderpassundercoatremoval3.jpg

The light buckets and fenders are in great shape . . . hopefully not much work to get done here . . . passenger side

sm-passengerlightbuckets.jpg

Same on the driver side - hopefully not much work to get done here either . . .

sm-driverlightbuckets.jpg

Here's the light bezels, some emblems ( which will not go back on the car ) . . .

sm-bezelsandemblems.jpg

Removed the buckets, screws, and set them all aside . . . bag 'em and tag 'em . . . I'm getting quite a collection of these things already ! !

smbagenandtagem.jpg

That's all I got done tonight . . . but happy to be done with fender undercoating, still got a ton left on the car to remove.

Until later . . .

Mom . . . look what followed me home . . .

Looking out of the back window of my pickup truck - what do you see ( besides the fact that the windows need to be cleaned ) . . . got a little tag-a-long . . .

Look at what's following me home . . .

sm-BelvedereHemi.jpg

5.7L Hemi from a 2004 Dodge Magnum - Auto transmission ( will get replaced with a Tremec 5-speed )
Anyone interested in an automatic transmission ? ? ? Full wiring harness included . . . this is going to be interesting.

sm-HemiInMyPickup.jpg

Haha I remember doing that, you keep looking in your mirror thinking about how frickin awesome it is to have a hemi in the back...

Let me give you a piece of advice to save you some trouble since I caused myself a bunch. (saved me money but caused me work)
Buy and use the TTI mounts for the engine, they are worth every penny. Next buy TTI conversion headers...because making my own is going to suck. My engine sits lower then it would it TTI had been involved and nothing fits for exhaust (not even stock manifolds) I have to severely restrict #1 cyl to get a manifold on it for the time being....so take some advice and use the TTI stuff!

Nice looking project. You will be driving it in no time the way you are moving. I think the original color will look amazing on that car when done. Is that MM1 like 1968, or something else? We need to talk to Joey to see if he can't get a hyphen in your user name. Makes me think something is wrong when it always runs over into your post lol.

Joey was a great help, I've shortened the name and this should no longer run into the post . . . thanks for the suggestion.

Haha I remember doing that, you keep looking in your mirror thinking about how frickin awesome it is to have a hemi in the back...

Let me give you a piece of advice to save you some trouble since I caused myself a bunch. (saved me money but caused me work)
Buy and use the TTI mounts for the engine, they are worth every penny. Next buy TTI conversion headers...because making my own is going to suck. My engine sits lower then it would it TTI had been involved and nothing fits for exhaust (not even stock manifolds) I have to severely restrict #1 cyl to get a manifold on it for the time being....so take some advice and use the TTI stuff!

kb67mopar - from all my reading an research, you are dead right on this. If you're getting both a motor mount and a set of headers it has been advised to me on more than one occasion that you get BOTH of them from the same source - that way you know that the two of them are going to work together. I've been digging into a couple sources and TTI is one of them . . . and I've heard lots of good things about them. Might be my setup of choice . . . still researching.

Thanks kb67mopar for sharing your "learning experience" with me and the group.

Lite night . . . tonight

Just got back in from the shop and didn't get very much done - needed a little rest for the hand after 4 days of pushing the scrapers through that 45 year old undercoating - the hand is a bit sore.

So I tackled some other things - cleaning out the engine compartment.

- pulled the horns out and relay
- pulled all the wiring harness out
- disconnected and pulled the windshield washer moter
( all pulled, bagged, tagged, and set aside for a later date . . . )

Pic of the day . . . my new helper looking cool . . .

sm-mynewhelper.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Been doing some research and thinking on the Hemi:

- the Hemi is a 5.7L from a 2004 Dodge Magnum station wagon
- separate motor computer and trans computer ( auto trans will not be used )
- Magnum has a key that is coded and the computer reads, don't know if I can use this computer
- been suggested to get a 2005 or newer Dodge Pickup computer ? ? still researching
- got the full wire harness - don't know if I can make it work or if I'll need to buy a new harness to get this working ? ?

Any and all ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated . . . Thanks in advance to this great Forum and wealth of knowledge

Been doing some research and thinking on the Hemi:
- the Hemi is a 5.7L from a 2004 Dodge Magnum station wagon
- separate motor computer and trans computer ( auto trans will not be used )
- Magnum has a key that is coded and the computer reads, don't know if I can use this computer
- been suggested to get a 2005 or newer Dodge Pickup computer ? ? still researching
- got the full wire harness - don't know if I can make it work or if I'll need to buy a new harness to get this working ? ?

Any and all ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated . . . Thanks in advance to this great Forum and wealth of knowledge

The computer can be used but you will have to send it to somebody to have the SKIM removed or it won't run the car. Chris over at www.hotwireauto.com can take care of that and he is a good guy. While you are at it, have him flash it for the manual trans tune since the auto tune will not run it without the tranmission, it would limit you to 4k rpm. You can strip that harness if you can find all of the wiring diagrams to pull the connectors apart. Unfortunately I never did come across the diagrams I needed and elected to just get a hotwireauto harness. not cheap but it works excellent.

Some of the guys over on the A-bodies site know a bit more about how to strip the harness, you may try them. I believe a couple have done it. The vast majority of wiring is in/out from the sensors to the computer, it really only needs a few wires from the chassis harness to run, power, ground, ignition, neutral safety.

Also you will find your factory key switch will not actuate the starter on your car, it has to do with internal circuitry. You will need to do a push button switch or an aftermarket switch.

kb67mopar . . . this is the greatest quote, it's classic . . . need to paint it on the wall of my shop . . .

Haha, a buddy of mine said that once in college to me and I thought about the same. I can't ever leave well enough alone so its appropriate.

Engine work . . .

Well, spent a couple hours in the garage removing the original wire harness from the 5.7 . . . sure are a lot of plug in connectors, hope that I can remember where they all go when they need to be reconnected. Next, I want to detach the automatic transmission from the block, and get the engine up on the engine stand - this is the first time I've been able to get a good look at this engine - hope all is well on it.

Long holiday weekend - plans ( and hopes ) to be able to get some things done . . . keeping my fingers crossed.

The wire harness is completely detached, and I've never seen such a collection of wires - sure is different then the harnesses on the 66 and 67 ! ! !

Back at it again tomorrow . . .

Ran into a little snag - got sidetracked

Got the hemi and the transmission apart and now it's time to get it up on the engine stand.

sm-hemitransapart.jpg

Picked up a cherry picker and an engine stand for only $200 on CL . . . thought I had a heck of a deal. As I was getting ready to put it on the stand I noticed the wheels were plastic . . . ugh. So needed to make a trip to Northern Tools and pick up a better set of casters for this stand.

sm-casters.jpg

Working on getting the new casters welded to the stand so the engine can be set up on the stand . . . so this can be installed . . .
Got a few needed parts shipped my way . . . whoohooo . . .

sm-newoilpan.jpgsm-oilpanparts.jpg

Thanks to people at Mancini Racing - got my pan, new pickup, gasket, and new bolts . . . ready for the swap to work with the K-member.

For your information:
Milodon Oil Pan - P/N - 31000
Milodon Oil Gan Gasket - P/N - 40750
Milodon Oil Pick-up - P/N - 18331
Milodon Oil Pan bolts - P/N - 85025
Milodon Oil Dipstick - P/N -22065
( stainless steel braided line - cool - should dress up the engine compartment nicely
)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - they have "upgraded" windage tray that can gain additional HP, but since I'm not going to be racing this, I opted for the stock windage tray.

Keep up the great work, I'm subscribed!
i have my own build thread for MY 67 Sat. (2dr HT though), its got a 440/727 in her right now, but I'm REAL interested in your 5.7 swap, I'm considering it as well for my 67.

Making up some casters . . .

Also in the process of making up some casters to put under the car and move it around:

Fixed for the rear - attached where the springs bolt into the front of the frame.

sm-fixedcasters.jpg

Just need to get the spacing, drill the holes, and get them attached ( and the rear end removed )

- - - Updated - - -

Keep up the great work, I'm subscribed!
i have my own build thread for MY 67 Sat. (2dr HT though), its got a 440/727 in her right now, but I'm REAL interested in your 5.7 swap, I'm considering it as well for my 67.

Thanks for the vote of confidence . . . trying to figure it out myself ( with the help of people like kb67mopar ) and document the good things I'm learning, the bad things I don't want others to follow, and see if we can put a plan of action into place.

I'll surely check out your thread ( I'm working on reading through them to learn all that I can - this site is amazing ! )

My threads not to exciting lol
im where you were on your page 1, replacing the front drivers and passenger foot well areas, but just the fronts, I had to go get more gas and wire, I ran out-duh!
hopefully next week ill replace the passenger side, back, bottom quarter (between the bumper and wheel well, below the molding) but then all the fun starts- sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding oh! and more sanding lol (thankfully, my body is really straight and rust free though like yours.)
why are you pulling your rear axle?

My threads not to exciting lol
im where you were on your page 1, replacing the front drivers and passenger foot well areas, but just the fronts, I had to go get more gas and wire, I ran out-duh!
hopefully next week ill replace the passenger side, back, bottom quarter (between the bumper and wheel well, below the molding) but then all the fun starts- sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding oh! and more sanding lol (thankfully, my body is really straight and rust free though like yours.)
why are you pulling your rear axle?

Hey Bolt-Action . . . I've got a load of undercoating back there that I can't get to with my scrapers, so removing the rear end will facilitate the under coating removal. Also, if you recall my plans, I really like the deep dish look, so I'm planning to mini-tub the car to allow me to get a little wider tire back there. And, it might make it easier to get back there and media blast the thing - while I'm at it. Might as well do it right the first time ? ? ? ?

Now I've gone and given away the next chapter . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, the engine stand is ready, now for the hemi

sm-hemireadyforstand.jpg

Now, to put the cherry picker back together and get this thing lifted into place . . .

Hemi on engine stand . . . yay

Well, finally got the hemi on the engine stand, and now I can get back to work on the car a bit . . . and the engine a bit too . . .

Glad to have that part done !

Auto Transport Service
Back