• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

I am not sure what you’re describing with the juddering term. Can you help me with that. Is it jumping, running higher like neutral between shifts or something like that?? The original clunky linkage did the same thing which is to move that trans lever along with the throttle moving to control shifts.

Ill do my best -

I don't think the juddering is a transmission thing - it's happening too fast for it to be the trans going in and out of first, or neutral between shifts like you said. It's not lurching, more a vibration and no power. Only did it one time on each drive, but it feels like a misfire, because up at 2500rpm it clears and she goes again. That's why I wondered if it's a timing thing.

BUT - I guess it could be a fuel delivery thing too. I have my head buried in Mopar forums again.

Dirt in the jets - unlikely, I've been very cautious with the new carb.
Fuel pump going out - maybe, but don't they just stop altogether, instead of coming and going?
Fuel Filter clogged - possibly, and the clog is too much for the fuel that the carb demands when I romp on the gas pedal?

Last edited:
I hope that it is NOT the following but it could be:
Torque converter.
A failing converter may shake...giving a feeling as if the tires are momentarily slipping, grabbing, slipping. Pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. If it has a burnt smell, the transmission has problems.
I do hope that it is not that.

Ok that helps because I was trying to figure out what the problem might have been. So the juddering seems like a separate issue.
Is the shifting feeling better?

Ill do my best -

I don't think the juddering is a transmission thing - it's happening too fast for it to be the trans going in and out of first, or neutral between shifts like you said. It's not lurching, more a vibration and no power. Only did it one time on each drive, but it feels like a misfire, because up at 2500rpm it clears and she goes again. That's why I wondered if it's a timing thing.

BUT - I guess it could be a fuel delivery thing too. I have my head buried in Mopar forums again.

Dirt in the jets - unlikely, I've been very cautious with the new carb.
Fuel pump going out - maybe, but don't they just stop altogether, instead of coming and going?
Fuel Filter clogged - possibly, and the clog is too much for the fuel that the carb demands when I romp on the gas pedal?

I've had a similar problem with vacuum advance. I would try pulling the vacuum hose from distributor and plug the rubber line back to the carb and give it another test.

I hope that it is NOT the following but it could be:
Torque converter.
A failing converter may shake...giving a feeling as if the tires are momentarily slipping, grabbing, slipping. Pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. If it has a burnt smell, the transmission has problems.
I do hope that it is not that.
Greg - since this whole kickdown cable thing has come with a side order of "you'll burn your transmission up if you don't adjust this properly", I've pretty much had my sniffer in the trans oil the whole time, which luckily just smells of trans oil, not burnt trans oil.

I hate the smell of trans oil. But it's better than burnt trans oil :-D

Ok that helps because I was trying to figure out what the problem might have been. So the juddering seems like a separate issue.
Is the shifting feeling better?

Yeah mate, it feel like a totally separate issue. It's shifting absolutely beautifully now.

Kern suggested above it might be the TC going out, but it definitely feels more engine based, missing or something. Or the new carb needs some sort of adjustment.

I read somewhere I should put my multimeter on the orange box and see if I'm getting 13V+, so I'm going to try that. Check my grounds to that too.

I was going to put it into "1" and not "D", floor it and see what happens. That should point more to the culprit.

I've had a similar problem with vacuum advance. I would try pulling the vacuum hose from distributor and plug the rubber line back to the carb and give it another test.

Ok, I shall do that along with all the other testing tomorrow. With the line pulled off and plugged, I'm guessing I might not get the juddering I described? So then my Diz is faulty?

Thanks @Sam69sat for jumping in here :)

You have made several changes with the new carb, and ignition upgrades. Now you can learn about making all the pieces and parts play nice together. Try making changes one at a time and see what changes. Work in steps and notes help so you can refer back if needed.

Today was hectic. Annoyingly so. But I did adjust the choke on the new carb, she fired up and acted as a vehicle should on cold start with an electric choke - excellent!

A quick blast around the neighborhood, she shifted perfectly, and showed no signs of the vibration/juddering from yesterday.

I changed my fuel filter...
IMG_2331.jpeg

...when I emptied it into a paper towel, there was some pretty big clumps fell out - so maybe there was some fuel starvation when I gunned it, due to the clog. Maybe. I watched closely as the carb jetted, the fuel clean and clear - so hopefully this filter circa 1978 has done a good job and went out with dignity.

I rerouted the fuel hose and filter to sit inside the frame rail...
IMG_2333.jpeg

...which will do great for now - later on, I intend to route some hard line and braided hose in the engine compartment, but that will be coming soon.

I didn't get a chance to drive the car after this, and it began raining pretty hard. My buddy came round for a bit so I put the Monaco away until tomorrow.
IMG_2334.jpeg

This was the successful weekend I've needed. I now move on to a week at work as Manager - hopefully my promotion comes with some extra cash for car parts :)

Hope y'all have an amazing week fella's, and thanks for all your input this weekend and all the other times. You guys rock!

Hell yeah!

SKOR.JPG

Glad to see some good news from you.
Oh....Your "accent" is not annoying in the least. I enjoy hearing different accents from people.

Case.jpg

If I recall, the carburetor that you have does have an adjustment in the secondary air door. This could be the cause if the door is opening too quickly or too slowly.
I doubt the fuel pump is to blame. You're not pushing the rpms up high enough to outrun the pump. The float level in the carburetor could be too low though. That could cause a stumble if the fuel level was too low and couldn't meet the demands when you floor it.

I agree I think your pump is fine. Thanks for the video. :thumbsup:

I've driven inside 10 ft banks in the tug hill plateau.
It's kinda intimidating at first but you get used to it.

Regarding the video. Next time I would recommend starting it check for leaks and drive it a short distance and check again. Idling for long periods isn't a good thing. The engine warms more quickly with a load on it.
Besides it's not a Chevy

Thanks fellas. @Kern Dog that makes sense about the bowl adjustment. I found this video, which I’ll follow probably next weekend, but thought I’d share it in case there’s someone here who needs basic beginner advice like me.

Hi fellas and a Happy New Year to you all - I know I'm over a week late but better late than never right?

I did a little test drive this weekend, not far only a few miles but I had zero issues, and I've not even adjusted the float bowls yet! Starting in the cold is a little tedious but nothing that I'm bothered by. I don't have any other updates right now, but I would like to say thank you again to all of you, for your help, support, encouragement, advice, generosity and parts which finally got the Monaco running again in 2022 CHEERS!!!

Here's another gratuitous pic for no reason. She was idling perfectly here, just before our blast around the neighborhood. It was cold, but inside, like a furnace - the heater is better than in my Toyota!
No leaks around the new intake, or any of the block-offs. The thermostat housing is dry, upper and lower rad hoses dry, heater core hoses dry, fuel lines dry, carb looking pristine - I am very thankful for the fact that everything I removed replaced or fiddled with in general, I actually put back properly.

It is, however, an old Dodge so she leaks oil from below like an incontinent old man. Ahhhhhh so what, she's running good now wooooooot!!
IMG_2461.jpeg

Hey Gary, I am so happy to see you got over the hump with this. They are fun to work on, but even more fun to drive. Congrats mate, go get some smiles per gallon.

That's just great, Gary. It's very gratifying to see another reach that level of accomplishment.
Y'know...
Superficially, lots of folks are attracted to old cars for a certain look or sound or even the
minutae of the specifications, but...
When one actually digs into one and begins working on it, fixing things, experiencing successes
and failures and seeing tangible results from their efforts, well - that's when you're in the hobby,
not just observing others who are.

These cars can mean so much more than the sum of their mechanical parts. I'm happy to see
you starting to enjoy it!
-Ed

Hey Gary, I am so happy to see you got over the hump with this. They are fun to work on, but even more fun to drive. Congrats mate, go get some smiles per gallon.
Jase thanks mate, it's been quite the journey but now, it makes it all worth it.

That's just great, Gary. It's very gratifying to see another reach that level of accomplishment.
Y'know...
Superficially, lots of folks are attracted to old cars for a certain look or sound or even the
minutae of the specifications, but...
When one actually digs into one and begins working on it, fixing things, experiencing successes
and failures and seeing tangible results from their efforts, well - that's when you're in the hobby,
not just observing others who are.

These cars can mean so much more than the sum of their mechanical parts. I'm happy to see
you starting to enjoy it!
-Ed
You're right Ed - I've put a grand into a $1900 car, but to me it's worth so much more. Sweat Equity couldn't possibly have a realistic cash value put on it, and if it does, then the market is ridiculously overinflated...oh wait!!!.... :-D

As frustrating (and not just for me) as this whole experience has been a times, the learning curve has been massive. I appreciate you and everyone and your willingness to give guidance. Brilliant stuff. Cheers fella's.

Great job!!
Thanks Greg - hey that power steering pump swap I did the other year has proven amazing...no leaks, no whines or growls...I leave those noises up to me to make hahahah! Thank you again sir.

Auto Transport Service
Back