• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My BUDGET 451 build... finally

Well. Some bad news, boys. Turns out I wiped the number 8 intake lobe.

Fired the old girl up with new plugs and wires and while there was an improvement, she wasn't quite running up to par. So I did a compression test, 1,3,5,7 all came up around 184-186 (while the engine was warm). Moved to #8 and she came up pretty eratic from 100 to 150. Pulled the valve cover and the intake rocker was all loosey goosey.

There goes the budget!!

Well, on second thought, I'm gonna hope for a stuck lifter... stay tuned!

Bummer! Sorry to hear it. When you broke it in did you remove the inner spring on the dual spring combo? That can be a gotcha too - too much pressure at break -in.

Hoping it's just a collapsed lifter.

Ugh....hope it's a lifter as well. I've watched your thread from the beginning and know how hard you've worked at it.

Thank you for the thoughts, fellas. I'll have the intake and valley tray off tomorrow or Monday to see how it all looks. Drained the oil and it looked ok, no 'glitter', no pieces of metal. Then again, a big hunk of lobe won't fit down the drain hole lol.

the motor may be blown (as well as the budget), but the 451 will ride again.

The offending lobe.

image.jpg

And here's one of my middle son... he don't care about no stinkin wiped lobe!

image.jpg

Man that really really sucks... If it were mine is prob tear it down. A lot of time that **** ends up inbedded in the piston skirts. Easiest way to get it out is tape off the ring lands and glass bead the Piston skirts.

Man that really really sucks... If it were mine is prob tear it down. A lot of time that **** ends up inbedded in the piston skirts. Easiest way to get it out is tape off the ring lands and glass bead the Piston skirts.

Yeah it sucks for sure, but it's gotta come apart. Just hoping the crank is good, as the mains have already been turned 0.010 and the rod journals 0.030 I believe, so this is the last go around for this crank.

- - - Updated - - -

What would cause this to happen?

One thing I did notice when pushing on the rockers is that that lifter collapses with almost no resistance, while the others offer a heck of a lot of resistance. As to what caused what, want quite sure.

Last edited:
Lots of good thoughts here, guys. Once we pull it apart and inspect it all, we will have a better idea of the direction we go in. But at this point nothing is off the table.

What do you guys think could have caused this? Though I may go solid / edm, or even roller (possible), but might this simply be a case of a bad lifter or maybe something more? This was a valueable lesson, but one I'd rather not repeat.

That's why I went with a solid roller. I new it would be more $ up front, but a lot less break in risk. Unless you're willing to do the single spring break in, and switch to dual spring you run the risk of wiping a cam lobe ( ask me how I know). That's the reason I went roller. Yeah a solid lifter cam set up is cheaper, but not if you have to do it twice. I know everyone's budget is different, and I've done some of the same stuff myself. I feel your pain. Also one advantage of dyno break in.

Auto Transport Service
Back