• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

Don't feel bad, electrical is my weak point as well. But we're meticulous also. And you're right, one thing at a time works best. The factory schematics in the service manual are confusing also. Since I'm going for more strip than street/stock I'm happy leaving so much stuff off my car for now,, heater, a/c, door switches, etc.. I'll add things as needed later, while I kick myself for not doing them now. lol

I found a guy on eBay (sniff-out-parts) who would make me the harness. I ordered one and he sent it right out. Thanks for your help Kid. Now I knew what to look for and how to install it.

upload_2018-12-31_18-30-34.jpeg

upload_2018-12-31_18-31-41.jpeg

Now I think that I have it about ready to fire up.
upload_2018-12-31_18-33-31.jpeg

I have been working on getting things ready to break in my engine. I used some old used mufflers and pipe and custom welded some temporary mufflers to hang off the bottom of my car so the engine won't blow our ear drums (or the neighbors) out.
IMG_2975.JPG

Jumped a big hurdle. I started up my engine! That is the first time this car has run in over 35 years and first time it has ran since I have owned it. I have been worrying about my engine for some time because I didn't have the confidence that I have done everything correctly. First time I tried it it backfired and wouldn't run. I found out that I had the distributor in 180* off. After turning that around it started up and seems to run great.

Last edited:
Way to go, sounds great! How long till you hit the street?

Sounds nice. You’ve just stepped over the hurdle that leads to the finish line. Well done. :thumbsup:

congrats, I bet thats music to your ears, kind of a reassurance that this will be rolling down the road soon!

Awesome.. I am right behind you and sorry I did not have this thread bookmarked before, I could have helped with the wiring.

Way to go, sounds great! How long till you hit the street?
Sounds nice. You’ve just stepped over the hurdle that leads to the finish line. Well done. :thumbsup:
congrats, I bet thats music to your ears, kind of a reassurance that this will be rolling down the road soon!
Way to go! That is one of the best feelings ever...
Awesome.. I am right behind you and sorry I did not have this thread bookmarked before, I could have helped with the wiring.
Thanks guys,
I do feel like it is a big accomplishment for me. I feel like I can see the light at the finish line now. Sometimes I wondered if I could ever get there. I'm pretty motivated now. I'm hoping to get it done by this summer.

Very nice sounding motor! Good job! Looks great as well! Motivated me also as I'm working on my motor lately.

I’m still plugging away on things when I have some time. I got the sound dampening mats in now.
upload_2019-1-6_17-36-23.jpeg

Now that I have my car running I want to try out the transmission but I also need some way to stop it so I worked on getting the brakes hooked up. I had got the kit to change my front to disc brakes but I left the rear as drum brakes so I had to add a pressure distribution valve between the rear brakes and the regular proportioning valve. I just need to bleed and try them out now.
IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Congrats on the fire up! That had to give you a big ole smile!

Jumped a big hurdle. I started up my engine! That is the first time this car has run in over 35 years and first time it has ran since I have owned it. I have been worrying about my engine for some time because I didn't have the confidence that I have done everything correctly. First time I tried it it backfired and wouldn't run. I found out that I had the distributor in 180* off. After turning that around it started up and seems to run great.

That is so friggin awesome, congrats!!! Sounds very nice:thumbsup:

She is alive! ^^
Nice work on the engine compartment.
Keep up the good work!

The reason I had my old exhaust manifolds on was because I had been told it would be best to break in the engine with them so that it wouldn’t burn the ceramic coating. This week I spent my time changing out the manifolds and putting in my headers. I had to practically tear everything apart to get them installed. On the left side I removed my starter to get the header in and had to put the starter in the header pocket, created by the pipes, and install them at the same time with very limited space. I hope the starter motor doesn’t ever go out. It would be a big job to change it.
Looking back now on the time, difficulty, scratches and scrapes, I would have preferred putting the headers on with everything else before installing the engine. I feel like the headers will discolor some over time anyway and I would have fewer scratches and scrapes on them.
upload_2019-1-13_10-3-45.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back