• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

They are a bugger to get on an installed engine!

Jumped a big hurdle. I started up my engine! That is the first time this car has run in over 35 years and first time it has ran since I have owned it. I have been worrying about my engine for some time because I didn't have the confidence that I have done everything correctly. First time I tried it it backfired and wouldn't run. I found out that I had the distributor in 180* off. After turning that around it started up and seems to run great.

One nice thing about Mopar, easy to time as compared to a distributor gear ( as long as the intermediate shaft is installed correctly :thumbsup: ). It sounds VERY good, starts quick and idles smooth, you should be very happy with those results!

The reason I had my old exhaust manifolds on was because I had been told it would be best to break in the engine with them so that it wouldn’t burn the ceramic coating. This week I spent my time changing out the manifolds and putting in my headers. I had to practically tear everything apart to get them installed. On the left side I removed my starter to get the header in and had to put the starter in the header pocket, created by the pipes, and install them at the same time with very limited space. I hope the starter motor doesn’t ever go out. It would be a big job to change it.
Looking back now on the time, difficulty, scratches and scrapes, I would have preferred putting the headers on with everything else before installing the engine. I feel like the headers will discolor some over time anyway and I would have fewer scratches and scrapes on them.
View attachment 704815
While I certainly understand the benefits of headers, I tend to shy away from them, they can be a real PITA ... something you referenced if you ever have starter trouble.....

Just for fun:
I found a fun 50 year old picture of me with my little red wagon standing by my dad's airplane in the same place the pictures of the Citabria we just rebuilt is sitting.
IMG_0049.JPG

I spent some time this week tracking down miscellaneous problems and trying to finish odds and ends wiring. All of my gauges seem to be working correctly now. I had my alternator gauge wired backwards and had to swap the wiring. I got my tail lights working with blinkers and flashers. The flashers were engaging the AC clutch and disengaging them. It made quite a clatter. I unhooked the AC pump and the flashers work fine now. I still need to figure why the AC is tied in with the flashers.

Last edited:
I spent some time this week tracking down miscellaneous problems and trying to finish odds and ends wiring. All of my gauges seem to be working correctly now. I had my alternator gauge wired back words and had to swap the wiring. I got my tail lights working with blinkers and flashers. The flashers were engaging the AC clutch and disengaging them. It made quite a clatter. I unhooked the AC pump and the flashers work fine now. I still need to figure why the AC it tied in with the flashers.

Mine is doing the same thing. Between the two of us one of us is sure to figure it out.

Might be worth calling M&H, they might be able to tell you. Being both of you have the same problem I bet they have been asked before.

Might be worth calling M&H, they might be able to tell you. Being both of you have the same problem I bet they have been asked before.
W
I bought all new wiring harnesses from M&H. My car's old wiring harnesses were mostly all stripped out.
please give an update, when you find the problem I’m also using a m and h harness for my build and classic auto air

I feel pretty stupid. I spent some time today tracking electrical problems and realized that I had plugged my hood blinker indicator wire into the A/C pump. It was the right length and same plug style but not the right color. That would be why it engaged with the flashers. I still have not tracked down the A/C power wire yet. I may need to custom make one. My underdash wiring harness has the correct plugs so I will need to continue to track them down. Remember, electrical is one of my weaknesses.
upload_2019-1-21_18-29-28.jpeg

I just got thinking and remembered I had bought another harness some time back so I went out to check. This is probably what l’m looking for.
upload_2019-1-21_18-55-28.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back