• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Hellcat has it's first glitch

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Took the cat for a spin today and it started fine. As I rolled onto the street in first gear I got to about 2500 rpm and it fell flat like letting off the throttle. Second gear got me more speed but fell flat again at 2500 rpm.
My first thought was this is a limp mode but had no indications on the dash of issues. (I'm at 5800 miles with one oil change and original tires:D)

Since I had no special place to go at first I now had one. In the 4 miles to my local dealer, the check engine light came on.
They pulled up the issue as some kind of -pawl-? being stuck and it was something they never saw before. The "fix" was an update for the PCM. Which they did.

They gave me back the car and told me it was still in limp mode and needed a new PCM which they would have the next morning and no charge for changing it.

On my drive home the check engine light was not on and it was not in limp mode. All was normal for the car.

My head scratching issue is --should I have the PCM changed?---WTF is a stuck pawl?

BTW when I was waiting for my car I got an email -from the car- telling me I needed to have an urgent issue tended to.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Took the cat for a spin today and it started fine. As I rolled onto the street in first gear I got to about 2500 rpm and it fell flat like letting off the throttle. Second gear got me more speed but fell flat again at 2500 rpm.
My first thought was this is a limp mode but had no indications on the dash of issues. (I'm at 5800 miles with one oil change and original tires:D)

Since I had no special place to go at first I now had one. In the 4 miles to my local dealer, the check engine light came on.
They pulled up the issue as some kind of -pawl-? being stuck and it was something they never saw before. The "fix" was an update for the PCM. Which they did.

They gave me back the car and told me it was still in limp mode and needed a new PCM which they would have the next morning and no charge for changing it.

On my drive home the check engine light was not on and it was not in limp mode. All was normal for the car.

My head scratching issue is --should I have the PCM changed?---WTF is a stuck pawl?

BTW when I was waiting for my car I got an email -from the car- telling me I needed to have an urgent issue tended to.:rolleyes:
I put my 06 SRT into limp mode a few times, playing with the rev limiter on my Diablo sport handheld controller. Quick key cycle and it’s gone. I did it once in the burnout box at the track, talk about embarrassing. But if they’re going to replace the PCM I don’t see an issue with it. It’ll keep your warranty intact

I will update what I leard
I put my 06 SRT into limp mode a few times, playing with the rev limiter on my Diablo sport handheld controller. Quick key cycle and it’s gone. I did it once in the burnout box at the track, talk about embarrassing. But if they’re going to replace the PCM I don’t see an issue with it. It’ll keep your warranty intact

In my case, I went into "limp mode" (I think) right off the bat when I started the car in the garage.
What I know as normal is a high idle at first that needs a throttle kick to bring it down. (maybe that is not normal?) My throttle blip fell flat at 2500 rpm.

I will update after my revisit to the dealer.

Pawl as far as I have heard is the parking pawl in the trans.

btw,

:xscuseless:

Pawl as far as I have heard is the parking pawl in the trans.

btw,
:xscuseless:

That's where my mind went. Could I have a "PCM" for an auto trans. car? Mine is man. trans.
This is an old picture. The silver 09 SRT and the C500 are sold and gone.

IMG_0028 (Large).JPG

I will update what I leard

In my case, I went into "limp mode" (I think) right off the bat when I started the car in the garage.
What I know as normal is a high idle at first that needs a throttle kick to bring it down. (maybe that is not normal?) My throttle blip fell flat at 2500 rpm.

I will update after my revisit to the dealer.
Ya mine starts at high idle also and kicks down as it warms up. Or just wrap the throttle like you said and it drops

Nah. I think the quality control would catch that. Could just be a 'bad' ecm.

Well, they will greet me with a PCM. If I need an ECM I may be back.:)

Could just be something like a speed sensor reading wrong
or just a glitch,
or malfunctioning computer,
all this **** is computer &/or sensor controlled today...

If they did a scan I'd think they know what it is, more or less...

Did you do any updates to the current computer ?

I'd chalk it up to "**** happens"

I've done the cycling of the key, off & on 3 times deal before
after I had a warning light come on
& later checked it with my OBII reader "no trouble codes found",
no problems now...
I think sometimes it's just weird computer/electronics ****

like my PC at home,
all of a sudden after having regular updates downloaded done
I all of a sudden have no sound :BangHead:
did all the recommended troubleshooting all says it's OK
but the sound still don't work, it's something from a new update
I fucken' guarandamntee it...
fucken' computers, piss me off sometimes...

The first thing they did was a scan for the codes. What came up was new to them at first glance.
Like I said It referred to a stuck pawl.??
I have done no updates since new.
In this case an update was prescribed and intended but I have no clue what happened in the shop.
Also in the email I got from the car I was informed that all my tires had the right pressure.:lol:
I am aware that much information about the car is in the computors. Such as the highest speed I have gone, the G forces for braking accelerating and cornering, etc.
I'm surprised the car has not spanked me for what I have done so far.:p

Last edited:
That was jolly decent of the car to let you know it needed some help. :lol:

Hope it gets sorted for you soon, and doesn't cause any ongoing problems. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to hear what @Richard Cranium has to say about going in 'limp mode'. :rofl:

My dream of "high tech" things of the future would be to eliminate computer chips from everything, so we are back in control of things. I know the best toast I ever had was from Mom's 1950's era toaster. I believe toasters now have computer chips--no need for them except to insure a future malfunction. To design a car that was efficient gas mileage wise and horsepower wise and clean-burning wise WITHOUT computer control would be really "high tech" in my opinion. Having a computer control everything (wiping your butt, I guess pretty soon), does not impress me.

My dream of "high tech" things of the future would be to eliminate computer chips from everything, so we are back in control of things. I know the best toast I ever had was from Mom's 1950's era toaster. I believe toasters now have computer chips--no need for them except to insure a future malfunction. To design a car that was efficient gas mileage wise and horsepower wise and clean-burning wise WITHOUT computer control would be really "high tech" in my opinion. Having a computer control everything (wiping your butt, I guess pretty soon), does not impress me.

I'm an old school fart that agrees with you somewhat. When I want or need something simple it is easy to come by.
I also like playing with new stuff for the fun and adventure if nothing else.
My 69 4 sp hemi coronet gives me a lot of wide grinning pleasure. So does my 15 Hellcat challenger.
Driving one right after the other is best. The big smile from fun is the same but the cars are not even close to being the same.

You've got a Charger 500?!

Had one. Bought it in the early eighties and brought it back to a very nice driver a few years later. ( I did all the work including paint in my garage)
I enjoyed driving it at first and after a partial restoration drove it several thousand fun miles as a nearly new looking and functioning car. Sold it over a year ago for needed space and forward moving.

Last edited:

Great point, Dibbons.
The entire function of the automatic transmission is electronic now, right? Even the engagement of the transmission parking pawl? Maybe the computer "thought" the parking pawl was engaged?

Auto Transport Service
Back