• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New 1976 Fury Sport Project

Please don't laugh,, but I have found great dyes at the local shoe repair shop.My interior is red and they had a shoe spray dye that matched. It has been 2 years and no wear or flaking. Made the parts look like new. I know shoe shops are few and far but worth looking for in your area.

I ordered the dashcap from Dashcaps.com (it's listed for a 75-79 charger). The dye is an SEM product that I got from a local auto paint supply store.

Attachments

• Copy of IM000763.jpg
    Copy of IM000763.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 518
That one turned out real well for you. Nice work. I used Dupli Color Adhesion Promoter as a primer before painting the vinyl surface. I never used this before but was advised to do so by a who does a lot of small repair work for our dealership. There are other products like this, I'm sure SEM has a similar product. But it really helps to keep the new paint/dye from pealing off etc.

1toolguy, that dash cap looks good. Well, your whole interior looks good.

Darter6 thanks for the idea for the spray on shoe dye. I’ll have to see what I can find on line.

I looked at the SEM products but the blue does not look the same as what I have.

Here’s some pics of my instrument cluster disassembly. It is filthy. I made a tool to remove the plastic rivets. After I get things cleaned up I’ll start testing things out. My PCB has a bad trace but I think I can fix that. I’m pretty sure it is for one of the instrument lights or high beam indicator.

76 cluster front.jpgPlastic Rivet Tool 1.jpg76 Cluster Plastic Rivet.jpgPlastic Rivet Tool 2.jpg76 Cluster Lens and Mask Removed.jpg76 Cluster Gauges removed.jpg76 Cluster disassembled.jpg76 PCB bad trace.jpg

You are making nice progress. Although I have a love for Road Runners, I have a '68, I was disappointed to see you are looking for Road Runner stuff for this car. I think you should keep it a Sport Fury. It's your car, so enjoy it your way, I'm just saying. I'll keep following the thread! :popcorn:

IMG_1693.jpg Just a thought,,,Google Wildcat auto wreckers.They have several 79 cordoba 300's they are parting. They have Factory Tachs.The whole pannel should plug right in and your harness may be wired for the tach,, if not add a tach wire.Just thinking out loud..

View attachment 215835 Just a thought,,,Google Wildcat auto wreckers.They have several 79 cordoba 300's they are parting. They have Factory Tachs.The whole pannel should plug right in and your harness may be wired for the tach,, if not add a tach wire.Just thinking out loud..

Thanks for the parts lead I will be checking into that. I have not done much lately on the car. I’m still trying to find a speedo cable. The one that is on there is about 63” long. I sent VansAuto an email asking about the length of theirs and did not get a response. Guess I’ll try NAPA. I got my LED’s for my dash today.

Red Line Gauge Works will make any speedo cable, with ends you want, any length. Just a thought.

I have a bumper jack from a 75 Doba that might work. Free if you want it - just pay shipping.

PM sent

- - - Updated - - -

Red Line Gauge Works will make any speedo cable, with ends you want, any length. Just a thought.
Thanks for the tip. I have one coming from a local source. Should be here soon. I'll post a pic when I get it.

Has anyone dealt with Vans Auto? I'm not impressed with their communication (read no response to an eBay question I sent them).

Also I talked to a woman at Wild Cat Auto on the phone earlier this week and gave her a list of parts I was looking for. Still no response from them either.

About the tach...75-76 b-body use a blue printed circuit board and 77-79 use a red one. Either can be used in any year with a simple move of a couple of wires. I did this to my Cordoba earlier this year. Mid 70's b-bodies had the best gauges of any midsize car and a 140 mph cop speedo that is a factory part could be bought over the counter...take that t-bird and monte carlo!

You may call Wildcat again and ask for Matt. He is who I've delt with,, if he still works there.

Is there an Eaton True Trac for the 8-1/4 rear end 27 spline axle?

I posted this as a new thread in the "engine, transmission, and drive line" section. But I thought maybe you guys here might know since the axle is in my '76 Fury Sport and the 8-1/4 axle is more of a late model axle.

I have an open 8-1/4 rear end with 27 spline axles and would like to install an Eaton True Trac. I can only find a listing for 29 spline axles.

Is there an Eaton True Trac for the 8-1/4 rear end 27 spline axle?

If not: What are my options?
Option 1: Install a mopar sure grip unit in it? (Looks like the lowest cost option)
Option 2: Install an Eaton True Trac 29 spline with new 29 spline axles? Is the 29 spline 8-1/4 Eaton true Trac even an option? (Will it fit?)
Option 3: Anything else?

Many years ago I bought a factory replacement 400 CI short block. This was a new engine, not a re-man. I brought each piston up to TDC and measured the in the hole distance of each cylinder and got an average of .112 down. With a set of stock 346 casting heads this put compression at 7.6-ish to 1.0.. I replaced the pistons with a set of 4.355 bore 440 pistons (yes, I had a new block bored) and had them milled to put the piston 0.010 down. I finished the engine off with a mild Crane Hydraulic Camshaft, Torquer intake/750 AFB/ 1 3/4" header combo that totally pissed off every 396 Chevelle owner I ran across for as long as I owned that, get this, Truck. And yes, after over 20 years I still wish I had never sold it!

Bob

I don't know about the True Trac but my 8 1/4 had a sure grip in it from the factory with 2.76 gears. I rebuilt it with new bearings and installed a new set of 3.55 gears and never looked back. If you're looking for a low cost option the 8 1/4 was also used in Dakotas, full sized vans and jeep SUVs and I've seen a lot of them with sure grips in the local junk yards.

the roadrunner is not a decal package it is a stand a lone car i have two of them one moon roof and one not no where do they say fury on them they are roadrunners not furys RM21 Both cars

As for the plastic rivets in the dash, I just use needle nose pliers to pull and replace them in the dash. On another subject Jeep used 8 1/4 rears in many models. I believe that they are 27 spline axles all the way to 96, after which they went to the 29 spline axles. On My 77 Cordoba I managed to squeeze 235/70-15 front and 275/60-15 rear installed on factory rally wheels by Bell Tire metro Detroit.

Last edited:
I’ve been working on my new shop so it's been a while since I posted here.

I was trying to put 14x5-1/2 Magnum 500 wheels on my fury but they interfere with the front brake caliper. Even a standard steel 14x5-1/2 interferes. Anyone else have this problem.

Chrysler must have put that center console in every mid to late 70's car, I have the same one in my 79 300 :eek:

Consider when you milled the heads the intake manifold may leak due the change in spacing (greater). Check for vacuum leak, coolant and oil.
Overall it looks great. The only true way to raise your compression was to purchase a set of 10-1 pistons, with the existing heads your compress is closet to 9.5-1.

Auto Transport Service
Back