• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new project 1974 charger 318 se

What are your plans for the car? Fix it while driving it? Full resto?

Anyway good luck with the car and & will be following along.
My plan are to get it running and driving and then run and drive it :) ill put time and love in it as time goes on I want to do some drag strip racing but ill focus on getting it safe and reliable for now

Yeah kinda figured it is an easy job it will make your life easier throwing new gaskets into the motor why it's out would be smart !
Same with the input and output seals on the trans !
Sounds like a plan ill let you know how it goes now to figure out how I'm going to pull the motor

Sorry.

Time for a case of Mopar corporate blue engine paint.

I'd at least replace the oil pan gasket while it's out.

Unless it's absolutely not leaking.

If you do, there are some tricks- like gasket sealer where the timing cover, pan and block rails meet, around the ears of the front and rear pan seals, and making sure the holes align and don't bunch the gasket up in the rounded corner areas of the pan.

Last one I did had a hole off and caused the gasket to bunch right where the three areas noted above come together.

Elongated the hole, trimmed about 1/8" off the gasket end, and no more bunching.

You can grab a cherry picker at harbor freight for $170 (little one) check c.l. for a cheap used one buy it use it then resale it if you don't think you will use it again. I just replaced my harbor freight hoist after 17 years and it was used alot left out side during rain ....
Haven't put the new one together yet it's the big one from harbor freight

You can grab a cherry picker at harbor freight for $170 (little one) check c.l. for a cheap used one buy it use it then resale it if you don't think you will use it again. I just replaced my harbor freight hoist after 17 years and it was used alot left out side during rain ....
Haven't put the new one together yet it's the big one from harbor freight
Ok i got the harbor freight picker. Putting it together today ill let you know how it goes

Make sure you take pictures you can go back and see where things go like wires ect was a useful tips when I first started doing this stuff !

How far i got
The hitch has to go

20200608_195131.jpg 20200608_195115.jpg 20200608_194448.jpg 20200608_194351.jpg 20200608_194423.jpg 20200608_194335.jpg 20200608_194319.jpg 20200608_194100.jpg 20200608_194046.jpg 20200608_193959.jpg

Someone welded straight pipes and cherry bombs

What the best way to un do the trasmision linkage

20200608_194210.jpg

She might look rough now but know you will fix it up and it will shine again. :thumbsup:

Work in progress. Good job buddy. Lot to go through to get a motor out of a car. Be safe. :thumbsup:

Nice ! Now time to get those freeze plugs replaced I'd advise atleast a pan gasket ! And a rear main seal why your there !
Keep an eye on the rear seal if you do it you can slide it around the crank without removing crank just pull up the rear cap and make sure the seal is facing the correct way it will go in both ways

Since its out you might as well give those front frame rails a good looking at. I couldn't tell how bad mine were until I got the engine out.
Nice job so far!

Make sure you take pictures you can go back and see where things go like wires ect was a useful tips when I first started doing this stuff !
Came across freeze plugs that have a Square head that is needed to remove. I looked at harbor freight for that big of a square bit but no luck. A 3/8th ratchet driver almost fits. I also asked o'rileys auto parts and they don't have a special tool... I guess I'm going to grind a bolt head down and just make the tool.??

Does the big one in the center come out more? I took a thin plug off of it

15924290193426405510005889936552.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back