• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new project 1974 charger 318 se

I thought same thing org but if it's internal you still won't see it . Also he says it's leaking fairly good anyways so kinda no point.
If it turns out to be a cracked block I wondering how hard it would be to replace it with a 440 out of an old rv I have

Need adapter motor mounts and a big block trans then you have little issues like need better susp for the extra #'s....I'd try and find a 360 if your motor is trash

cool to find your thread, I too have the same car just in the not so cool brown color. I will be glad to finally tear into mine later this year or next.

I was looking into the 360 or 400 or 440 for mine and found a deal I could not pass up on a 400 so that's that. So far I have read larger T bars and motor mounts will be needed for the larger engines. good luck!

.......so the block is cracked.....i hate that when I bought this car it starts and runs so good and it had a cracked block the whole time...sure would like to take a bat and smash the car right now....

I got one head off and I can see a crack under the other head..
On a side note does the 360 block swap right over or should I look for another 318

20200625_105558.jpg 20200625_105602.jpg

.......so the block is cracked.....i hate that when I bought this car it starts and runs so good and it had a cracked block the whole time...sure would like to take a bat and smash the car right now....

I got one head off and I can see a crack under the other head..
On a side note does the 360 block swap right over or should I look for another 318

View attachment 967284 View attachment 967285

20200625_105609.jpg

Man, I am sorry to see that and that sucks big time! A 360 should bolt right in place but you might have to change a couple things since 360's are generally externally balanced. I believe you either have to change your flex plate and or torque converter but other than that, you should be good. I hope things smooth out for you, I know how hard these set backs can be.

Most of your accessories will also transfer over to the 360 too.

What he said

You find a pill out 360 and trans from someone going big block and you can just drop it in !

Dude - go to any local junk yard and find a Magnum 360 and drop that in. Yes, you will have to address the balance issue but it not a big deal. You will get a roller motor and those things will go 200K. My 01 Ram 1500 has like 130K on it and is still going strong.

Dude - go to any local junk yard and find a Magnum 360 and drop that in. Yes, you will have to address the balance issue but it not a big deal. You will get a roller motor and those things will go 200K. My 01 Ram 1500 has like 130K on it and is still going strong.

I agree, the 5.2 or 5.9 magnums are great engine options, any many ways to go with them.(efi or carb)
They can be had cheap and will allow you to enjoy it while you fix it the way you like.

Ok looks like I'm getting a 5.9
I'll find one soon and let you guys know how it goes.
I have a 10 bolt rear end will I blow it up with my 5.9

I'm assuming you mean a 8 1/4 rear it will be fine .
Keep in mind a 318 is just find don't limit yourself. I love 318's there cheap easy to fix and go forever (most of the time) your not going to see a huge power bump !
You'll find something look for part outs or cheap Mopar projects I bought an entire truck for $600 with a rebuilt 318 in it a 4 speed and a 8 3)4
Guy just didn't want to bother with it anymore!

Ok looks like I'm getting a 5.9
I'll find one soon and let you guys know how it goes.
I have a 10 bolt rear end will I blow it up with my 5.9

It wont just like explode instantly, the first time you take off. If you make sure its full of (clean) oil and in good shape, it will last you fine. Now if every stop light you do a 4500rpm neutral drop, you may begin to have issues, sooner, rather then later.
Honestly if it in good shape, I would just run it until you can afford an upgrade.

Is it the strongest rear there is? No, but it should last you long enough for you to have some fun, and enjoy your car, a bit.

There is a ton of cheap tricks you can do the LA or MAGNUM engines.
Let us know what you end up getting, good luck!!!!

I beat the crap out of one I stuck it in why I had a 8 3/4 being rebuilt!
440 4 speed the 440 was a bit over 500 hp to the wheels (dumped) just don't remember the exact numbers .
Anyways at first I babied the crap out if it so I didn't blow it apart then the rest was done and waiting nicely so I gave it the beans a few times ! Nothing I was surprised so I beat on it more and more nothing !!!! I couldn't believe it ! So I really started going at it figured ok I want to see how far we can go ! Eventually I split the case /housing! I couldn't believe it ! Newly rebuilt rear went in I pulled the little guy apart didn't look bad for what I did to it ! It was layed to rest in the scrap pile ! Would I drag race with one no street race Shure here and there would I put 600 hp to one nope . Can it get hp to the ground hell no ! For a small block it's a decent rear

magnumswaps.com

I'm going to pick and pull tomorrow to get something debating on getting a tyranny to.

Auto Transport Service
Back