• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new project 1974 charger 318 se

The big one in the middle is the camshaft. Leave that and the small plugs alone.
Ok cool makes life easier i got a plug kit and It came with all those small ones.
Also I've only seen bad rust on the bottom ones

Well as for the big one you need to put the thin cap /plug back in place (should be a new one in your kit)for the little ones there 3/8 head unless rounded .you should need to mess with them but.... They sometimes leak if you can get them out make Sure you use thread seal on the new ones

Do all of them while you have it out.

4 on the heads
3 on the front
2 on the back
6 on the sides

As mentioned use deep brass plugs.

Flush out the block after all are out.

Clean all of the muck out of the side ones.

Clean all the bores out with Scotchbrite and fine sandpaper.

Use Indian head gasket shellack to seal the plugs when installing.
I can only find 2 on the front of the block is it under the water pump?

Did you order your corporate blue engine paint yet?

Soo... this morning I tried to put the motor back in and I dropped it....
I'm working on gravel and the cherry picker don't like it. Whole thing fell over motor, trasmision was attached and the picker.....
I got it picked up and everything looked ok. It didn't fall to hard thanks to all the gravel. After getting it set in the engine bay I looked it over. The oil pan's bottom is pushed in pretty good. I'm going to pull it out again and pull the oil pan off again.. and see if I can push it out or see about replacing it.......i should probably find someone to help me this time....

Make sure the legs on the engine hoist are farther out than the center of gravity of the engine/trans.

This bit my brother pretty hard and hairline cracked his trans case.

Gravel may have been you friend on this. His was on concrete.

Buy a new pan. Better off. If there is any kind of a hairline stress crack from the fall or from you trying to push the dent back out, you will start leaking down the road in the future.

You got a 50% chance on that pan ! I dropped one once the strap holding it just let loose at the stich. It was fine. Pans are tough if you can't find one I'd run it and keep looking if there's no leaks great but if something starts you'll need to remove the pan ! Easy enough in the car just loosen motor mounts and lift motor a bit most everything can stay attached exhaust needs to be dropped, trans will go for the ride! Just watch the fan or remove it .

......so I got the motor back in. Getting ready to start it so I put water in the radiator and it starts draining out the OIL drain bolt.....FML..... time to do the heads i guess any thoughts

20200621_191618.jpg

I shouldn't need to pull the motor to do the head gasket right?

Was it leaking before? You could of cracked the block when you dropped it! Alot of stuff could if happened. I guess the cheapest way to check without removing eng again us to pull heads and fill the water jackets up see if water runs out below.

can you borrow or rent a radiator pressure tester?

can you borrow or rent a radiator pressure tester?

I thought same thing org but if it's internal you still won't see it . Also he says it's leaking fairly good anyways so kinda no point.

Don't play the lottery.

But I hope things sort out without too much added expense.

Was it leaking before? You could of cracked the block when you dropped it! Alot of stuff could if happened. I guess the cheapest way to check without removing eng again us to pull heads and fill the water jackets up see if water runs out below.
I try that tonight ill let you know

Auto Transport Service
Back