• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a hated car that you wouldn't mind owning.

Didn't Jaws or some other villain drive a T Bird in a 007 movie with his head sticking out the sunroof? I found a picture but it won't let me copy it. It's a huge guy driving with Jerry Reed in the passenger seat on the phone. Not Jaws though. Was it Gator?

Last edited:
Didn't Jaws or some other villain drive a T Bird in a 007 movie with his head sticking out the sunroof? I found a picture but it won't let me copy it. It's a huge guy driving with Jerry Reed in the passenger seat on the phone. Not Jaws though. Was it Gator?
It was the Burt Reynolds movie, Gator. But, yes, that was the same actor who played Jaws.

1697590792595.png

1697590827328.png

Kind of ironic that when I had my car on the road, the guy who was the best source for parts was a demo derby driver. He had an Imperial junkyard of over 100 cars. He never ran the good ones, sold them whole to hobbyists. By the time he started his parts business, the Imperials had been banned from many derbies. The radiator was mounted far enough back in the frame rails it was almost impossible to take out.
I did a demo derby back in 2001. Rules clearly stated no Imperials, pre 1967. I ran a 90 Olds Cutlass. Did good until the shift linkage came off and I couldn’t move from where I was. Still took 4th, won 10 bucks, still have that check somewhere.

I always thought the X’s were all big V-8 cars. But seen an original X this a straight 6 at car show recently.
Mom and Dad had a baby blue I-6, 3 spd, with Levi Strauss denim seats. Aunt and uncle had a matching jeep.
Yeah, i think the biggest factory X car was a 390, the 401 was a dealer install like motion/yenko.. Gremlin XR i think...

Yeah, i think the biggest factory X car was a 390, the 401 was a dealer install like motion/yenko.. Gremlin XR i think...
Biggest FACTORY engine in a gremlin was a 304.
The 390/401 versions were a dealer install deal, (like yenko, motion, and Grand spalding). I wanna say Reynolds AMC (or something like that) in Arizona. It was R-something.
Biggest factory engine in a Hornet was the SC360. If you wanted a 390/401 in a sporty AMC, you needed a Javelin or AMX, or a SCrambler.
Edit: it was Randall AMC, out of Mesa az.

I had one of these in the early 80s. Kinda ugly but not at the same time. It rode like a Cadillac though.

IMG_0029.png

And I’ll add, this car seems to be a love it or hate it kind of car, as is the 66 Barracuda. Most people dont even know what it is, because it does not say Valiant anywhere on it, just Signet. When someone likes it, they think it’s really cool, when someone doesn’t, they hate it through and through!

View attachment 1541734

View attachment 1541735
That looks more like a Valiant convertible than a Barracuda. It should say 'Valiant' on the bar before the Signet script.
1697601470596.png

I wasn't aware of a convertible Barracuda until the second generation in 1967.

I saw a guy in a little Suzuki Jimny a few years ago dune bashing in Western Australia with other 4x4 vehicles. When I saw where it could go I was stunned. Put the biggest 4x4s to shame and I've wanted one ever since.

2019_Suzuki_Jimny_SZ5_4X4_Automatic_1.5.jpg

offroad-bx-5-sm.jpg

images.jpeg

Biggest FACTORY engine in a gremlin was a 304.
The 390/401 versions were a dealer install deal, (like yenko, motion, and Grand spalding). I wanna say Reynolds AMC (or something like that) in Arizona. It was R-something.
Biggest factory engine in a Hornet was the SC360. If you wanted a 390/401 in a sporty AMC, you needed a Javelin or AMX, or a SCrambler.
Edit: it was Randall AMC, out of Mesa az.
A Scrambler is one of my dream cars.. but they are soooo out of touch now...

Had a volare sedan back around 2002 that I never should have sold. Triple green (of course), /6, auto, factory a/c (blew 34 degrees at idle in 90 degree weather), and something silly like 36k original miles. Should have kept it.

I'd love a pacer or gremlin.

Had a Jeep DJ-5 mail jeep in college - rhd, sliding doors, 2wd, one seat. Made it our "communal beer truck". Need to get somewhere? Help yourself, you could start it with a screwdriver (provided, just sitting on the parcel tray). Just fill it with gas when you bring it back.

Still have a couple of my "why?" vehicles - my '90 turbo minivan, and my 72 satellite wagon - although now wagons as a rule are much "cooler" than they were 28 years ago when I bought it...back then it was just my $500 beater!

Yeah but… you’d probably get shown the taillights on that one! :)
You can make anything fast if you throw enough money at it. At the end of the day it's still an ugly boring car with a fast driveline in it. When I see builds like that,I always think to myself, someone just wasted a driveline that should have been put into a lot cooler car.

You can make anything fast if you throw enough money at it. At the end of the day it's still an ugly boring car with a fast driveline in it.
So is this. Boring and ugly. But it surprises most V6 SUV’s when they think they are going to pass on the right. The 383 says… “Nice try”. :D
F173CE26-730B-48D6-8A3C-738E159F9D68.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back