• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nationwide shortage of spare tires

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
Maybe it is just my point of view, but I have been looking for a spare tire for my Charger....for over a month ! I scour FB Marketplace and Craigslist on a daily basis. A 15" spare tire for a Mopar is a damn hard item to find. Let me re-phrase that, it is a hard item to find for less than the cost of an entire set of 4. I just want an old plain rim with a so-so tire on it...just something to get home on if I get a flat. I used to see them (before I had a need) for free, to a whopping $15. Now they are $50 -$150+. I have even considered using a 15 inch trailer wheel. At least they are less expensive and are vastly better than any space saver spare.
I have a set of 14 inch rallye's but I don't want to split up the set.

Had I known how they would increase in value...I would have bought lots to sell (LOL)

What am I missing ?

My girlfriend's 2022 Land Rover dosen't have a spare! And
OK THERE ARE 2 BLUE BUFFALO ADS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE THAT WIN'T CLOSE AND I CAN'T SEE WHAT I'M TYPING! WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS????

Try Flea Bay? I haven't bought anything from there in awhile but what I have bought over the years was all good...

I'd maybe try, go to an auto salvage yard/auto wrecking yard,
what we used to call "junk yards"
buy a rim & tire already mounted, that is good enough for a good spare

they usually cut up & dispose of most of them now,
especially older steel rims (unless it's some special rim/mag etc.)
You may have to sand it down, get rid of a lil' rust, then repaint it

they will probably gouge you too,
just might not be as much

If I had one I'd send it to you...

14" and even 15" wheels are not common any more. Its going to take some searching...

Keep an eye out for the 15" stock type steel wheels from the "B" series vans....which might be easier to find than the car versions. They have the 5x4 1/2" bolt pattern.

If everyone wasn't using spare steel wheels to put goofy looking dork dish hubcaps on their Mopar muscle cars, there would be millions of them around! I don't understand people who want high performance muscle cars to look like their grandpa's 64 Valiant or an effing taxicab!

I actually just bought one off Amazon for $50. I would have never thought to look there!

D56B58F1-9E5C-4940-8508-60DA3F2FFB6C.png

Maybe it is just my point of view, but I have been looking for a spare tire for my Charger....for over a month ! I scour FB Marketplace and Craigslist on a daily basis. A 15" spare tire for a Mopar is a damn hard item to find. Let me re-phrase that, it is a hard item to find for less than the cost of an entire set of 4. I just want an old plain rim with a so-so tire on it...just something to get home on if I get a flat. I used to see them (before I had a need) for free, to a whopping $15. Now they are $50 -$150+. I have even considered using a 15 inch trailer wheel. At least they are less expensive and are vastly better than any space saver spare.
I have a set of 14 inch rallye's but I don't want to split up the set.

Had I known how they would increase in value...I would have bought lots to sell (LOL)

What am I missing ?
If you’re anywhere near Michigan, you can swing by and pick up one from me. I typically keep a bunch of rollers here, just in case.

If everyone wasn't using spare steel wheels to put goofy looking dork dish hubcaps on their Mopar muscle cars, there would be millions of them around! I don't understand people who want high performance muscle cars to look like their grandpa's 64 Valiant or an effing taxicab!
You just wait and see. I’m putting vintage 14” white sidewall tires on my original rims, with the original dog dish hubcaps. I just want to see what it looked like on the lot that day long ago, when the original owner first saw it. I’m taking pics of it just like that, sending them to you, and the original owner. Then I’ll go back to my regular tires, but still the dog dish, sorry!!

A note to moderator. I didn't offer to sell anything.
Matt is a friend of mine.

Funny thing is that for all the car shows you watch where they’re finding cars everywhere, how many people have an actual old school junkyard near them to go to? I have a few, and usually stop when I’m in town. A spare 15” rim and tire could always be had there for $20, and I did just buy 2 15x7” rims from a 5th Ave, which always have the 15x7”’s on them. $17 a piece, I take em off! Seems tho that the junkyard has largely been replaced by the scrap yard, where they don’t save em anymore.

Try you local junkyard. Look for old dodge work vans. Same bolt patterns on the old ones.

Try you local junkyard. Look for old dodge work vans. Same bolt patterns on the old ones.
Rarely are there any cars at yards around here with cars that are old enough to have 15" wheels. They've all been crushed here.

Anything truck or van after 1977 will have either the 5” or 5.5” bolt pattern, depending on the rear end. I believe 77 was the last year for an 8 3/4” in a truck or van, which would be carrying the 4.5”

Didn't a whole mess of Jeeps in the 80's and 90's have 5x4.5 pattern?
Something else to look for at the local pull a part if you have one, doesn't have to be a 50 year old car.

I have a pile of them too but I’m not saying they are for sale always buying.

Auto Transport Service
Back