• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy Chief's 1966 Plymouth Satellite

onephat66

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Well I figured it's about time I start a thread on my Plymouth I've owned since May 1995. While in the Navy, after transferring back stateside from overseas I bought this car in San Diego from a guy that bought it to do a little work on then sell. Car was originally sold to "a little old lady from Pasadena" in late 1965 with 318/auto, black 2dr hdtp, with 614 gold interior, bucket seats, console, power steering and A/C. When I bought the car in 1995 it still wore most of it's original paint, and factory interior. The drivetrain was swapped out and had a '69 383 Magnum/4 speed, 8 3/4 rear with 3:23's, and A/C was removed. I drove the car like that for a few years, replacing tires, carb, performing tune-up and maintenance and put Flowmasters on it and enjoyed it. Over the years I've had the 4 speed completely gone through during the time I was building the current engine that's in the car. The block is a '71 with steel crank, LY rods shot peened/polished and resized, JE SRP Sportsman pistons. Other parts include Crower .590 solid cam, Mopar M1 single plane intake, Brodix B1/BS heads, Crane adjustable "Gold" roller rocker arms, Holley 950 HP carb with drag float and jet extensions. Headers are TTI which are for this block/body year and heads, but still don't fit how I'd like them, but they fit without too many issues. Rear end now has Detroit "Soft" locker, Yukon axles and 3:91 gears. I've replaced the carpet, headliner and upholstery many years ago and plan to have dash redone and replace door panels. I also put a fiberglass reproduction WO23/RO23 hood scoop with hole in the hood for my tall air cleaner to fit through. I put front disc brakes pieced together (article on this swap was in "95 Mopar Action if I remember correctly) front factory Mopar parts. Exhaust is a 3" TTI x-pipe and Mac Flow Path mufflers. I haven't done much with the car the last few years due to deploying while in the military and preparing to retire. I really want to get the car back out and enjoy it so I thought maybe "showing" the car off a little might help give me the extra spark I need. It's close to being ready to go after replacing a split fuel tank and putting new valve covers on. My biggest issue right now is I really want to have the car painted. I had 2 guys here locally that were suppose to come look at the car to paint it and both blew me off. Body shops don't want to touch it because they'd rather do the hard collision work since they know they're getting paid. Well enjoy the pictures and I'll try to post more of interior, rear, etc. Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• sat4.jpg
    sat4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 999
  • sat3.jpg
    sat3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 950
  • sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 986
  • sat.jpg
    sat.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,650
  • sat6.jpg
    sat6.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 930
  • sat5.jpg
    sat5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,025
From a fellow (retired) 'kahki clad'...welcome! Did tours in Dallas & Corpus myself. Both sea duty! The car looks drivable. Why not take it to them? Show them you are serious about getting this done.

Great looking car!! Sure doesn't appear to need paint. Have a really good time with it & thank you for your service.

Great looking car. Love the Black and shiny stuff and the stance is great. Thanks for your service and enjoy your retirement.

Jim, Thank you for your service and i do hope you find the "right" person you need to get the new paint on this, its a great looking car and maybe, you could give it the paint job yourself, You may be surprised at the way it works if you have a decent compressor and some Patience.. just sayin it is cool to do our cars at our hand.. anyway you go im sure it will be good bud!!!

First off, thank you for your service, and secondly, that is one beautiful Mopar! :icon_pray:

Beautiful ride and thanks for your service to this great nation. :sFl_america2:

super-bee_ski, PolaraLover64, Dako, 66Satellite47, Riverdawg, KD Belvedere 1, Ron 73, Coyoteduster, aldal, first off I'd like to say thank you for the kind words of my service. The 21 years, 3 months I spent in the military is that much more enjoyable when you have great people like you all that you've served to protect in this great country. I'd do it all over again. Dako, I was an AM stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, San Diego, MCAS Beaufort, SC, Great Lakes, Lemoore, CA and the MEPS in Amarillo. Thanks for your service as well!! Ron 73, I've been tempted to paint my car myself, but I really don't have the space, otherwise I think I would. I talked to a media blaster today at a car show about blasting my drip rails to clean them up, then get started prepping the body once that's done. Dako, I've thought about taking my car to the painters, but I've sent them really good pictures, but still didn't get them to come look at it. In the meantime I'm just going to keep working on other things to make it better. I also have an '82 standard cab dually that's getting a "new" 450 HP, 500 ft lbs 440 and an overdrive automatic I'm working on, so I'll have to "share" my time with them. I'll try to keep updates as I work on the car and will be checking all your rides out as well. Ron 73, I've seen yours before on here and it's pretty cool. Thanks again everyone!!

Great story and a great car. I bet the black body with the gold interior make for a stunning color combo in person. Good luck with it.

Great story and a great car. I bet the black body with the gold interior make for a stunning color combo in person. Good luck with it.

Thanks petieg383. Yes, as a matter of fact I've had quite a few people comment on the color combo and I have yet to find someone who has seen it before. I wouldn't think it would be that uncommon, but evidently it is.

Well I'm going to make a huge push to get the car out by the end of April. I haven't driven it in a handful of years due to being deployed or moving in the military. Now that I'm retired from the Navy I don't have as much of an excuse. Since it hasn't been driven in a while I need to reprime the oiling system, adjust valves (solid cam and it's time for adjustment), check for any leaks and hopefully start and drive it. I'm still in the hunt for a painter as I'd like to get the car painted within the next year or so. I've had the car for 20 years and I'm tired of looking at the faded paint. This coming winter I may decide to mini-tub the car and put the wheels I really want on it (of course I have about 4 different wheels I want for it!). My dad has a matching numbers 383 Super Commando/4 speed Satellite with bucket seats, console, p/s, p/b, p/w, 2 door HT he is in the process of restoring I may see about getting a thread started on it if he's interested. I'll try to get some video of mine once I get the car out. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it........

Good to hear you've finally found some R&R, and enough to get your Plymouth back out on the streets Jim! Have fun and thanks for your service to this great country of ours.

Thanks Propwash. I know I'm slow to update, but work keeps me pretty busy. A little more was involved in getting my car out when I hoped. I had to reconfigure my fuel "T" that I had attached to my finned valve cover on the passenger side. A buddy bought me a set of the 440 Source polished valve covers that I've wanted for a while now when I retired from the Navy, and I don't want to attach anything to them, so I had to build and reroute fuel lines under the hood. I also decided to pull the carb off to look it over and replaced the fuel bowl/metering block gaskets with the blue non-stick gaskets. It's all back together now and I just need to get some good fuel for it since I can only get 91 octane out of the pump in Amarillo and can't see paying $9 a gallon for racing fuel. I found a place nearby OKC that I can get it for $6.81 a gallon if I have my own container, but it's an all day drive just to go get fuel and would probably end up costing me as much or more than the $9 for racing fuel here. Well I'm shooting for this weekend, but either way you'll all know once I've got it out.

Ok, I finally got the car out last weekend after welding/installing new exhaust hangers, replacing valve covers, reconfiguring fuel lines under the hood, purging and replacing brake and clutch fluid, priming fuel and oil systems, etc. etc. I also washed and buffed about half the car, looks much better than it has in years. Car runs really strong. Blazes the tires effortlessly as I remembered it would through all 4 gears. Have a few issues to resolve to make things better. Already replaced my speedo cable that was way too long and rubbing on the exhaust (had 83" from when I bought it and replaced with 63"). Driver side engine mount doesn't seem to have much life left, so ordered a set of Mity Mounts to replace both current mounts. I'm sure they are probably in use from the late 60's, so no surprise. I have a couple leaks to figure out, which I think one of them is my new valve cover on the passenger side is leaking, probably need to tighten bolts down a little tighter. But I have this leak from the back of the carb/intake area that looks like a glow stick was poured down the back of the intake that I have no idea what the heck it is. I have looked while it's idling, but not leaking bad enough while watching it over a few minutes. I think it's something with the fuel system as it appears to be coming from between carb and intake or rear carb bowl. Plus, when I primed fuel system by turning on my electric pump I noticed it prior to even priming the oil pump. Has me stressed and confused.... Anyway, hope to have engine mounts replaced this weekend and some of the leaks stopped. I hope to get some more pictures and possibly video soon as well. Oh yeah, I'm also polishing and repainting my "P L Y M O U T H" letters for the front of the hood, but can't seem to find those paint pens I've seen on car shows on TV with the long needle-like tip to "squirt" paint into small recesses. Anyone know what they're called or where to get them? I know the hobby stores have the little bottles with the needle tip that I could fill with paint to use, but was thinking there was something with paint in them already. Thanks, Jim

The 21 years, 3 months I spent in the military is that much more enjoyable when you have great people like you all that you've served to protect in this great country. I'd do it all over again. Dako, I was an AM stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, San Diego, MCAS Beaufort, SC, Great Lakes, Lemoore, CA and the MEPS in Amarillo. !

Cool beans. I was only in for 6. ETR-2, NAS Miramar 70-74. Maintaned GCA RADAR and TACAN. This is lookin to be a GREAT build up

Cool beans. I was only in for 6. ETR-2, NAS Miramar 70-74. Maintaned GCA RADAR and TACAN. This is lookin to be a GREAT build up

Thanks for your service 440roadrunner. I was an Airframer.... Well I replaced both motor mounts with the Mity Mounts from Dynatech. I really hope they hold up as the warranty implies. They are lifetime warrantied, but had some install issues. I had to chase the threads on both (luckily I checked before installing them), and the driver's side welded nut wasn't flush, causing the bolt to not center in the threads which in turn was damaging the threads. I cut off one of the tack welds on the nut and hammered it flush with the side of the motor mount and re-tacked welded the nut. My next chore is to further investigate the leaks, which is my most feared/dreaded to do item. I thought the valve covers were leaking, but they seem to be sealing as I can't find any oil between them and the headers, but below where the heads bolt to the block I have oil residue. I fear that the head gaskets are leaking oil, which I absolutely do not want to pull the heads back off, but may have to. I'll keep looking until I run out of options.

Well I've had the car out again with the new motor mounts and they are holding. Motor doesn't seem to "slam" back down when quickly letting off the gas. I've fixed a handful of the leaks, just loose bolts, one of which was the passenger valve cover that I was certain wasn't a problem. Still have a small leak to track down. I'm now having issues with my electric fuel pump. I've had it for well over 12 years, but hardly any miles on it. Last weekend I took my dad out for a ride and he was loving it. But then I was coming up to a stop sign and lost fuel. Coasted to a stop and cycled the switch, got the pump to make noise, but regulator showed no pressure. So I had a buddy tow me home, put it in the garage and let it sit for a bit. By this time it had been a little over an hour since it died. I turned the key on for the heck of it, and about 2 seconds later I heard the pump tone change to what it normally sounds like, so I checked fuel pressure and it was right at 5.5 psi. So I turned the key and it started right up. I pulled the pump apart a few months ago and checked it since it has sat a while, but it looked almost like new, so I put a little vasoline in it to lube it prior to priming it and put it back together. I'm hoping I have a loose line on the inlet which may be causing it to suck air, which would also cause it to get warmer than it should. I'll be checking that this week and hope to cure the fuel issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back