• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on buying a 2008 Ram 1500

• Thread starter Deleted member 214
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 214

My 97 F150 is rusting away and not worth fixing. I have a 4,000 lb. (small) fifth wheel and need a truck to replace the Ford. I just test drove a 2008 Ram 1500 quad cab Big Horn 5.7 hemi 4wd with tow package. Really clean on top and underneath. Not molested in any way, all original. 80,000 miles, clean CarFax. The TPMS light was on and the fog lights didn't work. It seemed to pull to one side but that could be the low tire. Drove really nice. The dealer recently dropped the price from $18,400 to $16,900, and at the lower price it seems like a deal. It's at one of those high volume and no warranties car lots that get cars from dealer trades and auctions with a less than stellar feedback on the internet, so I'm taking it to my mechanic tomorrow for a checkout. He isn't a big Ram fan. Anything in particular I should look at? How much is the towing capacity of a hemi automatic 4wd?

Thanks!

This site should help you with your towing capacity question(s)....http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/home.html

I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Diesel in it so it's a little 'apples to oranges' compared to what you're thinking of buying. I tow a 12,000lb 5th wheel toy hauler with it and it tows very nicely. For what it's worth, if my truck disappeared tomorrow I'd look to replace it with another Ram.

Don't let the mechanic sway your opinion. Rams are good trucks. The quadcab 4wd I owned was rated at 7800 Gross, I believe. So, at 4,000 Lbs(trailer and load) your running 60% or so. You won't have any problems.

I have owned a total of 7 Dodge RAMS over the past 16 years, 1500 through 3500. I am currently driving a '98 2500 with 190,000 miles on it (360 not the Cummins) Tight, strong truck....even at it's age. Can't beat them. I ran an 04 3500 Cummins that was easily the nicesest truck I will ever own. It would pull a house on it's worst day.

1500s (half tons) of any make are for girly men if you want to pull. If you plan on pulling correctly, 2500 minimum, 3500 is the best.

I wouldn't worry about the tpms unless it's a bad sensor. The fog lights are probably bulbs but could be anything.

I have an 04 ram 1500 hemi and love it. 4000 lbs isn't much at all for these. I've routinely towed 6000 and can set the cruise at 75 with plenty of pedal left if I want. 130k on mine and feels like new. Very little has needed to be done on this truck...easily the best vehicle I've owned to date.

Mechanic checked out the truck. A bit of deferred maintenance - outer tie rod ends, brakes, front struts, leaky pinion seal, heater door actuator. Hit the dealer with the info, got a price reduction, am now the proud owner of a Ram!

congrats on the new truck. just sold my 08 hemi 1500. that was the best truck I ever owned. it only had about 140 km and pulled my 5000 lb skid steer no problem.

congrats on the new truck. just sold my 08 hemi 1500. that was the best truck I ever owned. it only had about 140 km and pulled my 5000 lb skid steer no problem.

So will a bicycle if you pedal hard enough while going down hill.

Auto Transport Service
Back