• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on a stock 318 cam selection

adam83

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 318. it has an edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Weiand 8022 aluminum intake, stock exhaust manifolds and 2" dual exhaust. Automatic transmission. Everything else is stock including the torque converter. back tires are 255/70SR15. the rear is a stock chrysler open 8.25", im assuming itcame with the car (71 charger 318cid) but I don't know the gear ratio, maybe 2.76? 2.94? I have the timing cover off, and I bought a comp cams double roller timing chain set. I will not be changing the springs or doing anything to the heads, the stock compression is 8.6:1

I want to warm the engine up a bit. what cam do you all recommend? Comp cams says XE250H (20-220-3), but after reading other threads on similar topic, Im not sure that is the right one for me

Your axle should have a tag on one of the cover bolts. 2.76 was real common.

I got a summit K-6900 waiting for my 73 which is basically the same as yours, although maybe just a bit lighter.
I'll be putting in a 2.94 SG 8 3/4 as well.

My first choice was the Comp XE256, but it seemed to require a spring change, and I didn't really want to mess with that.

The 6900 was on sale for $52.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC the factory 318 grind is a .400 lift, so any .444 lift should be a noticeable improvement.

According to my research, .450 is the max lift on factory springs.

- - - Updated - - -

The Summit cam specifically says OK with factory springs.

Tread lightly on a cam for that, especially if you won't do any other mods to the drivetrain. Send moparmarkk a PM. He has my small block cam that I believe will work great for your application. I don't recall the specs but it is a brand new in the box Comp (still sealed I believe). Looking for maybe $125.00. Save a few bucks anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back