• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help trans guru's (727)

jaak

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
The 727 behind my 440 was my first rebuild. I was assisted by a guy that has built trans all his life. I built it a few years back and its been sitting in my shop until I got my car running back a few months ago.

Car drives pretty good, but here is a couple of concerns I've noticed. 1.) Sometimes when coming to a stop, its almost like you can hear something winding down, then the car lunges. If you were to try to take off before the 'lunge', it will slip (rev up as if in neutral) then takes off fine. 2). when letting off/braking going into a sharp curve, then throttling when coming out, it slips. Also seems like shift from 1-2 is not smooth, but it doesn't do this all the time, but I have noticed it. Also want to note it does have a B&M shift kit in it.

Any ideas? Any adjustments I need to make? Or do I need to yank it out, and pay someone to re-rebuild it?

Thanks,
Jason

727 torque flite

The 727 behind my 440 was my first rebuild. I was assisted by a guy that has built trans all his life. I built it a few years back and its been sitting in my shop until I got my car running back a few months ago.

Car drives pretty good, but here is a couple of concerns I've noticed. 1.) Sometimes when coming to a stop, its almost like you can hear something winding down, then the car lunges. If you were to try to take off before the 'lunge', it will slip (rev up as if in neutral) then takes off fine. 2). when letting off/braking going into a sharp curve, then throttling when coming out, it slips. Also seems like shift from 1-2 is not smooth, but it doesn't do this all the time, but I have noticed it. Also want to note it does have a B&M shift kit in it.

Any ideas? Any adjustments I need to make? Or do I need to yank it out, and pay someone to re-rebuild it?
I would like to know what happens to it also. Do you have enough trans fluid in the pan?
Thanks,
Jason

Do you have adequte fluid in the pan? Id like to know what you find out.

An emty 727 takes lots of fluid 4 sure!

An emty 727 takes lots of fluid 4 sure!
A empty Tflite 727 will need about 8 qts. of fluid to fill it to the correct level. This assumes that it has a standard size torque converter (not a smaller high stall speed converter) and a standard stock (not deep) pan. Also make sure that the kickdown linkage is adjusted properly as per the factory service manual. After that you are into band adjustments, pressure testing etc. Good luck.

The slip os a sharp curve makes me think low fluid....Check the level again and make sure you put a filter on. Seen that done before you walk away to answer the phone or what ever and next thing you know your putting the pan on... less the filter of course.
And if your sure the filters on and the levels correct.......try dumping an extra liter / quart of fluid in it then road test it and see if the slips still there.

Update...
I did re-adjust the kickdown linkage, looks as if I didn't have the lever (on trans) pushed all the way foward when adjusting the first time, and it was a little low on trans fluid (looks like I got a leak at the seal on shaft where levers mount). Car is driving/shifting a million times better!

Thanks for the input!

Jason

Make sure you check the fluid level in neutral and at operating temperature.

And run it thru the gears, ending in neutral, to fill the valvebody too...

Auto Transport Service
Back