• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with lag off the line

68HAVOK

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
A few months back I picked up a 68 Satellite and while driving it there is serious lag off the line. 360 with Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock intake. I am not mechanical but am willing to figure this out myself. Where should I start. Feels to me like a fuel issue and sometimes it is not there (the lag). Thanks for any help guys.

Attachments

• 20150827_111047.jpg
    20150827_111047.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 20150827_111118.jpg
    20150827_111118.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 307
Lots of variables...but I'd start with the carb and timing.

I see what you are talking about dieseldazzle. Should that be plugged or? Again I am a novice.

Its ported so its only got vacuum when the throttle blades open past the idle circuits if I remember right.

Will do. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Plugged the port just now and took it for a spin. Seemed to do well. A little to early to tell though due to the issue not happening 100% of the time. More in the 60 to 70%. I'll keep you all updated.

Lag can be no fuel or too much fuel, I would start with a larger air cleaner (it it my eyes or does that look tiny), compression test, some carb clean, sea foam, then change the plugs, check the wires, adjust the timing and tune the carb...

I had a few cars in here that guys thought ran good, but just got used to putting up with bogging, poor acceleration , and off idle response.
I normally start with a can of seafoam, hook it right to the vac port and rev her up a bit, hold the throttle till she starts to clear up while I am doing that I will spray some gumout carb clean through the carb to get all of that cleaned out (I seen before and after, that stuff cleans the **** out of your combustion chamber). Also check for intake leaks while doing this, just spray some cc around the gaskets and bases.

Then I do a kind of tune up, check fuel psi, change plugs (checking compression as I got), retime, adjust the carb, and add some gas line anti freeze to the tank.

With the exception of a couple carbs needing power valves (mostly from back firing, a lot of people dont know that you back fire a holley a couple times and you most likely need a power valve, lol (unless you have a protector kit, which I always install) and a gasket here and there, all the issues were cured, throttle response was back, and when they ask "what was it?" I always say "I don't know"...

This is all stuff you can do yourself, or a decent shop shouldnt charge you more than 2 hours to check compression, change plugs, check fuel psi, time, and tune... you can do the carb clean and sea foam your self... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVIfkPpJ4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_-SeJTAEU

I pour it into a container, rev to an rpm where it wont stall and stick the big vac line right into it, with the motor warm, it will smoke like a bastid..

Lag can be no fuel or too much fuel, I would start with a larger air cleaner (it it my eyes or does that look tiny), compression test, some carb clean, sea foam, then change the plugs, check the wires, adjust the timing and tune the carb...

I had a few cars in here that guys thought ran good, but just got used to putting up with bogging, poor acceleration , and off idle response.
I normally start with a can of seafoam, hook it right to the vac port and rev her up a bit, hold the throttle till she starts to clear up while I am doing that I will spray some gumout carb clean through the carb to get all of that cleaned out (I seen before and after, that stuff cleans the **** out of your combustion chamber). Also check for intake leaks while doing this, just spray some cc around the gaskets and bases.

Then I do a kind of tune up, check fuel psi, change plugs (checking compression as I got), retime, adjust the carb, and add some gas line anti freeze to the tank.

With the exception of a couple carbs needing power valves (mostly from back firing, a lot of people dont know that you back fire a holley a couple times and you most likely need a power valve, lol (unless you have a protector kit, which I always install) and a gasket here and there, all the issues were cured, throttle response was back, and when they ask "what was it?" I always say "I don't know"...

This is all stuff you can do yourself, or a decent shop shouldnt charge you more than 2 hours to check compression, change plugs, check fuel psi, time, and tune... you can do the carb clean and sea foam your self... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVIfkPpJ4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_-SeJTAEU

I pour it into a container, rev to an rpm where it wont stall and stick the big vac line right into it, with the motor warm, it will smoke like a bastid..
Did that one time on the road. Got out of there before Fire showed up.

LOL, definitely the down side of the process is the smoke...

I live in the woods so not as much of an issue, but definitely refrain from performing on a saturday morning when everyone is cutting their grass if you live in a crowded suburb, lol... I had a 350 chevy in a 70's malibu I bought to resell, driving it I could tell it was all gummed up, drained the tank, changed filters, lines, pump, rebuilt the carb, and it was still shitty, I put the borescope in the cylinder and it was loaded with garbage, couldnt even see the valves as circles, lol...
I seafoamed it and steamed it (another way to loosen stuff, and sometimes straighten valves, is get the motor hot and dump cold water down its throat at high rpm, should know what you are doing for that one, takes a bit of finesse), after I borescoped it again them chambers looked NEW... Car ran much better, I think all that garbage was keeping the valves from closing and letting the air/fuel swirl..

This is a problem with old carb'd engines, new fi sealed injection systems with new unleaded fuel and all its additives don't have issues like the old engines, so if you have a carb, engine that used old gas, or is just old, you put a borescope in the cylinder and see for your self, anyone who pulled heads off an old 440 will attest to how much carbon was in them things...

I love sea foam I cant say enough about it, right up there with beer in a can and sliced bread

Anyone know of any good shops in my area (Modesto Ca)? I want to have the engine gone through. Pretty sure I have an exhaust leak as well (clicking nice upon acceleration ). Looking to refresh the motor an get it running properly. Thanks again for all your advice!

My son is a car guy and lives in Turlock. I'll check with him and let you know if there's anybody he recommends.

Anyone know of any good shops in my area (Modesto Ca)? I want to have the engine gone through. Pretty sure I have an exhaust leak as well (clicking nice upon acceleration ). Looking to refresh the motor an get it running properly. Thanks again for all your advice!

Just on acceleration? An exhaust leak would tick and fart at idle too. May be a lifter? Rev the engine a little while listening and try to isolate the sound. My drivers side exhaust manifold is leaking at the flange (again)...I just went through this.

Thank you ColoradoDave.

- - - Updated - - -

The tick is constant. It is more pronounced during acceleration.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take a video tomorrow and show ya all what I'm talking about with both lag and the ticking.

- - - Updated - - -

And Thank you ColoradoDave

[video]https://youtu.be/TYrtrCBL8ls[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

[video]https://youtu.be/5v8WWEPNca4[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

So there are a couple of videos. Exhaust leak or something inside the engine? Thanks all. Also took the advice an upgraded to a larger air cleaner. Going to have to get a thinner filter though. To close for comfort on the clearance with hood.

Auto Transport Service
Back