• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with manual master cylinder selection for hemi car

chattacuda

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
Just finishing up the hemi install and I just discovered I can't pull the #7 plug without removing the power brake booster! It is the correct hemi booster. I am ditching it and putting in manual brakes. It is a factory power disk/drum car. Does anyone have any experience with such a conversion that can recommend what size piston I need to get. From what I can read, probably around 1"? Also know I will need an adapter. Anyone done this that can help? thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
This is in a B body I take it? Power brake hemi cars used an offset bracket to mount the Bendix booster, and even with that you may have to move it out of the way to get that plug out.

1" MC bore is probably a good starting point.

i have the power brake booster with the offset. I got it from the Ram Man in Texas so I am sure it is correct. The plug wire just won't make it past it. I took it back off yesterday and am going to install a manual master cylinder once I figure out what Is the best size. I am 6'5" and 250# so surely I can make it stop! Just looking for someone who has put a manual master cylinder on a power brake car to see what bore I need to get. I am assuming the wheel cylinder and caliper piston diameters are different on a power brake car but maybe not.

Well I searched the NAPA site and it looks like the power brake drums and disks are the same as the manual brake parts, so I am going with the 1" bore brake cylinder to start with. Hopefully it will work out. I did not ordervthe offset adapter for the Wilwood master cylinder since it 'appears' it should clear the valve covers. We will see!

Get a master cylinder for a 1976 Plymouth Valiant with manual front disc brakes. It should be 1 11/32. I have this master on several of my cars and it works great. On cars that I drive in the ice and snow I use the 15/16" master to keep the system a little less responsive.

Just got mine in. I must say i wasn't that impressed with "the ram man". he tried to set me up with a hydro-boost. thanks, but no. maybe my expectations were a little high. anyway i called MP and they set me up. the master cyl p/n is MC36259M and the push rod p/n is PR4722K. I may still need a proportioning valve. we'll see when we get there. good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, "just got mine in from Master Power." sorry 'bout that.

Auto Transport Service
Back