• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with parts.

The carbon on those valves looks like quite a number of miles or significantly worn guides. Clean out the guide bores with a brass wire gun cleaning brush. Put the cleaned cleaned valves in the guides holding them about 3/4" off the seats and see how much they wobble in the guides. If the guides are too worn, you're going to haft to renew, or you will be doing a lot of work for nothing.

After the solvent cleaning the heads, I like to clean the deck surfaces by making a few strokes with a nice flat wood board, 2"x4" here in the States, with roll sandpaper wrapped around it and stapled on the ends. Then check for flat with machinist straight edge and 0.003" feeler gauge.
board.JPG

The carbon on those valves looks like quite a number of miles or significantly worn guides. Clean out the guide bores with a brass wire gun cleaning brush. Put the cleaned cleaned valves in the guides holding them about 3/4" off the seats and see how much they wobble in the guides. If the guides are too worn, you're going to haft to renew, or you will be doing a lot of work for nothing.

After the solvent cleaning the heads, I like to clean the deck surfaces by making a few strokes with a nice flat wood board, 2"x4" here in the States, with roll sandpaper wrapped around it and stapled on the ends. Then check for flat with machinist straight edge and 0.003" feeler gauge. View attachment 1517841
Cheers for the info. Is there any good info or guides to remove and replace those guides if with? I can't seem to find much

Cheers for the info. Is there any good info or guides to remove and replace those guides if with? I can't seem to find much
Here's the Guide.
Go to machine shop and ask how much to do guides and a valve job.

Last one I got back was
16 guides $60
Install 16 $136

Also $177 for ex seats supplied and installed.
New valves, so there was seat grinding, but looks like it was absorbed on those costs.

I know shipping is bad going to AU, but just the above work is $400. If all of the valves are good, you will have that much in the grind. RPM heads are $1,000 and every part is new.

Just for laughs I punched in EStreets at summit. In aussie bucks
Screenshot_20230830_151930_Chrome.jpg

Aussie, hopefully you have a factory manual, it has the specs and tells how to check. Do you have a 0-1" micrometer to measure the valve stems and dial indicator to check the valve rock when checking the guides? Do the checks and let us know if good or bad, and then can advise more.

If your guides are worn beyond useful limits, there are choices, and I agree to talk to your local machine shop. However, I don't know about the above price mentioned, looks like a price from days gone by, at least in my part of the world. And the later post points out how machine work and parts add up, hopefully your heads and components aren't too worn. But if the heads need everything, then often buying new can be more viable.

Last edited:
The prices I mentioned were recent, but from a pair of good Mennonite brothers.
I supplied new valves.

But good point on the worn stems.
I remember building some heads in machining course, and I reused the valves, by honing the stems. ( anyone remember that?). I then opened the new guides to the dimension of each stem. Not the best, but I was broke lol.

The OPs valves do look pretty tough.

Forgot the exchange rate.
The prices I mentioned were recent, but from a pair of good Mennonite brothers.
I supplied new valves.

But good point on the worn stems.
I remember building some heads in machining course, and I reused the valves, by honing the stems. ( anyone remember that?). I then opened the new guides to the dimension of each stem. Not the best, but I was broke lol.

The OPs valves do look pretty tough.
"Knurling" the guides shrinks them (for a while)

Why? It attracts more scammers than useful parts..
At that time of the afternoon yesterday I had a few beers I don't know why I posted it here.... but posting any kind of ads in the regular forums stand the chance of it getting deleted.

Auto Transport Service
Back