• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need machine shop please

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm in Louisville, KY and about to have my 400 rebuilt and stroked. I am striking out when it comes to finding somewhere to get this done. Of course there are shops that can do it, but they don't have the deck plates, knowledge and whatever else to do a Mopar. If I can't find local, I would like local enough, meaning I can drive there and back in a day. If all else fails, I go farther and ship it, but then I can't bring parts or check in on the build. I'm just wanting to build short block only. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fraleys Machine Shop, Mt. Sterling KY. 859-498-3440.
Make sure you talk to Mike Fraley and have him do the work. Court Days are coming up so they will be closed that week.

I'll be taking my original 426 Hemi there.

Make sure you talk to Mike Fraley and have him do the work. Court Days are coming up so they will be closed that week.

What’s ‘court days’ ?

What’s ‘court days’ ?

A solid week of revelry that takes over the entire downtown of Mt. Sterling. Sooth sayers, gun sales, junk food galore, flea market stuff, etc., etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He rebuilt my 360 a few years ago. Runs great! He did the machine work on my 383 I rebuilt in automotive school. It wasn't a Magnum and I wanted to make it into one. He knew that the heads are the same, just had to resurface/mill the heads to increase compression. I recently had him do a 440 block, put new pistons on the connecting rods and rebuild the heads.

Last edited:
Indy Cylinder Head is about 2 1/2 hours north of you. Under new ownership, and they are planning a move in the future.

I talked to one of the engine suppliers in the Manufacturer's Midway AT Carlisle Chryslers a couple of years ago and he told me he could do a 500 cube 400 for less than I could get it done. I forget the numbers he quoted but you might check that first.

Call Fraley and get a price on the work. The shop I was using for the restoration work couldn't beat his price for rebuilding a worse case scenario 440. This is what they do so they have an efficient experienced shop. I believe Mike Fraley builds racing engines which is what my 360 is.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Auto Transport Service
Back