• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to pull the front apart on my 440.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
If it's not one thing its another lol.
Dang old bullet proof RV 440 is making some horrible high pitch grinding / squealing noises up front.
1st thing removed all belts , no change.
Went to the shop and grabbed my step dads old stethoscope ,
Back home , fire it up , middle of valve covers sound fine. Moving to the front getting a little louder.
Lay the steth on the distributor its loud, get it behind the water pump housing and lay it on the timing cover and holy crap were grinding walnuts.
Well Fck, go get cold beer , stare at car knowing how the evenings this week are going to be spent.
Start on tuesday. Many possibilitys,
Oil slinger ( I hope )
Distributor drive gear ?
Comp,Timing chain gears ? ( top one was loc tited at assembly. 4 yrs ago.
The long block was a 40k winne 440 I did not change the bronze pump drive bushing.
Anyhow I will take pics, I love a good mystery unless I got a pan and filter full of metal. Plus it's a good time to pull some lifters and see how they are doing .

Any chance the crank pulley bolts have been changed? pretty common for a bolt that's to long to get installed... The noise created is exactly as you describe...

Any chance the crank pulley bolts have been changed? pretty common for a bolt that's to long to get installed... The noise created is exactly as you describe...
Yep I did that one, loud and screeching, easy fix.

if it sounds like crushing walnuts nuts then you will see something in there.

Last edited:
That would be great and thank you for the heads up on that.
I have not had that pulley off the engine for the past 4 yrs. But that's not to say something may have moved , ( thrust bearing ) ect.
I will ck it out. Thank you.

Make sure it's not just the rotor hitting the cap. Could be a loose bushing in the top of the distributor.

Make sure it's not just the rotor hitting the cap. Could be a loose bushing in the top of the distributor.
Thanks Don, I will ck the distributor over.
I hope for something simple like that or the pulley bolts like wild R/T posted.
Going to be tuesday eve before I can start on it.
Got to do some work on one of the granddaughters car this eve.

When I had my roller cam I used one of the nylon type cam buttons that somehow worked it's self out and allowed the cam to walk forward and the head of the gear bolts to eat into my cover.

Well I know I'm past Tuesday but we got busy.
Any how, listing with the steth scope I had alot of noise in the timing cover / distributor area.
Pulled the distributor all is good and tight, spun it with my cordless drill, its good.
So crap, off comes the balancer pulley, correct bolts, no marks on timing cover.
Sooo pull the front pan bolts and cover bolts , off comes the timing cover.
At this point I'm convinced I will find the problem , nope, slinger , chain, gears , fuel rod , all looks great , no grind Mark's, no filings ect.
Well it's back upstairs we go, got to mow now the this after noon pull the top apart and check pump drive , dist. Drive ect.
I did find a split vacuum cap on my thermoquad but I can not believe that was the noise I was hearing.
20230527_085342.jpg20230527_085346.jpg

20230527_085811.jpg

It doesn't look like any of those parts have seen oil?
Maybe just the pictures?

Agree with Don those look awful dry. I'd consider pulling timing gear and check the chain maybe no oil toasted it inside. Unless cleaned all the oil off?

Crap... I hate it when that happens...
It gets better, top side is fine rockers, rods, even the comp cam and lifters are wearing ok. Crane springs ok,
Gear drive on the cam looks fine, pump drive is good.
No glitter inside.
It has a comp dbl roller chain and gears.
Just because I can't find anything I will order a Cloyes set and degree the cam this time.
Last time it went in Dot to dot.
prob 7,000 miles or so on it. Mabey the chain is getting noisy ?

Yes that is looking dry on the gears and cover. Thanks Don & Fran.
Its pumping plenty up to the rockers and top end.
Last time running we looked at the gauge at temp, 35lbs idle and 65 when you give it some rpm.
What would cut flow down to the chain,and gears?
Slinger is on it and ok.

It doesn't look like any of those parts have seen oil?
Maybe just the pictures?
Thanks, I will put a new pump on along with the chain and gear set.
The rest of the top is oiled fine.
Crazy.

Well I'm guessing that is the problem.
Unfortunately I don't know the solution.
Hopefully someone else here can help.
I'm not an engine builder just an enthusiast.

It is suppose to be splash oiled. Don't know if it's advisable to remove upper gear and remove plug behind gear and drill a very small in the hex of the plug and reinstall the plug. When I say a small hole 1/64" or 1/32" . @dvw can you answer this? Soak chain in oil before install.

It is suppose to be splash oiled. Don't know if it's advisable to remove upper gear and remove plug behind gear and drill a very small in the hex of the plug and reinstall the plug. When I say a small hole 1/64" or 1/32" . @dvw can you answer this? Soak chain in oil before install.
Fran, the engine did set for 5 days. I know like you guys I would expect a little more oil on things. One plus I did take my hand and wipe the bottom of the crank gear/chain area and had oil on it.
So that's a plus.
After 4 yrs the whole engine , tops of heads , inside valve covers, ect are all real clean. That small hole drilled is a idea but I will wait and see what the verdict is.
I will because things got noisy for sure replace the chain and oil pump.
I had decent pressure at 180 of 35 / 65lbs.
The whole thing has me scratching my head lol.
My brother says vacuum leak and yes he heard it also. But I was hearing a rotating grinding / squealing sound.
Anyway, the intake and covers are off the front is off. I have to fly to Florida in the morning but will be checking back.
Thanks guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back