• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 440 tuning and adjustment questions

Durandal25

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Team,

I've been running the new motor with my old 1407 Edelbrock 750 CFM carb and it appears it may be too lean as I get a rattle when accelerating, but not at idle. What I dropped into the motor would requite more fuel, but have a look:

Motor cu: 440
Cam: 21-670-4
Valve adj: .000
Exhaust: .000
Gross valve lift: intake .474 exhaust: .474
Duration @

.006 Tappet lift Intake: 280 exhaust: 287
Valve timing open:
@ 106.0 Int: 34 BTDC: 66 EXH: 77 BBDC:29 BTDC: 66

Installed: 106.0 Intake center line

Duration: Intake: .050 233 Exhaust 240
Lobe lift: Intake .3160 Exhaust: .3160
Lobe separation: 110.0

Used the required Comp cams valve springs and lifters with standard push rods and new mopar performance lifters.

Block:

Bored: .080 over

Fed Mogul pistons: .080 0ver.

Fuel delivery: Edelbrock 1723 mech: 6 psi

Fuel line: 5/16

Crank: Forged externally balanced

Spark plug condition after about 25-30 mils:

Attachments

• 2014-05-04 11.20.51.jpg
    2014-05-04 11.20.51.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
5/16 fuel line? Why not 3/8? Raw guess, I would change to 3/8 if for street use, which from your parts looks to be your aim. Compression ratio?

I would be curious to know what the actual bore size is compared to the piston size.... .0002 -.0005 for cast pistons.

5/16 fuel line? Why not 3/8? Raw guess, I would change to 3/8 if for street use, which from your parts looks to be your aim. Compression ratio?

......well the 5/16 is the original line from the tank.

You should get a wide and air/fuel gauge set up, like one from Innovate Motorsports. The LC-1 is about $150, well worth it! It takes the guesswork out of tuning, and once you're done with it, you can up use it on another vehicle.

What do the plugs look like and what is your timing set at? Also, did you get your oil leak fixed?

I would be curious to know what the actual bore size is compared to the piston size.... .0002 -.0005 for cast pistons.
.0002 is pretty tight....I've done cast piston engines before at .0005 but it's kinda hard to find a shop that can finish bore with those tolerances. Heck, one time I got a block back from the shop that had a .001 hour glass finish in it! Yeah, I took it back and told them to keep the sizes above and below the 'waist' the same but get rid of skinny part. He did it and I found me a better machine shop after he asked me what the hell I was building....

What do the plugs look like and what is your timing set at? Also, did you get your oil leak fixed?

.0002 is pretty tight....I've done cast piston engines before at .0005 but it's kinda hard to find a shop that can finish bore with those tolerances. Heck, one time I got a block back from the shop that had a .001 hour glass finish in it! Yeah, I took it back and told them to keep the sizes above and below the 'waist' the same but get rid of skinny part. He did it and I found me a better machine shop after he asked me what the hell I was building....[/QUOTE

Cranky:

I added a pic pf the average looking plug sir:
The timing is the issue I wrestling with, as I'm still in the hunt for a smooth idle.
The oil leak is still there.....but it appears to be the crank seal....dammit. Took every step possible with that one too. The timing cover required I remove it and reinstall it.......which I did with more Permetex gray. Fixed it right up.

Are you sure the rattle isn't do to having your timing advanced a little too much?

Team,

I've been running the new motor with my old 1407 Edelbrock 750 CFM carb and it appears it may be too lean as I get a rattle when accelerating, but not at idle. What I dropped into the motor would requite more fuel, but have a look:

Motor cu: 440
Cam: 21-670-4
Valve adj: .000
Exhaust: .000
Gross valve lift: intake .474 exhaust: .474
Duration @

.006 Tappet lift Intake: 280 exhaust: 287
Valve timing open:
@ 106.0 Int: 34 BTDC: 66 EXH: 77 BBDC:29 BTDC: 66

Installed: 106.0 Intake center line

Duration: Intake: .050 233 Exhaust 240
Lobe lift: Intake .3160 Exhaust: .3160
Lobe separation: 110.0

Used the required Comp cams valve springs and lifters with standard push rods and new mopar performance lifters.

Block:

Bored: .080 over

Fed Mogul pistons: .080 0ver.

Fuel delivery: Edelbrock 1723 mech: 6 psi

Fuel line: 5/16

Crank: Forged externally balanced

Spark plug condition after about 25-30 mils:

Are you sure the rattle isn't do to having your timing advanced a little too much?

....its possible. I sort of timed it by ear a bit, but may redo it again when I get back from Des Moines next week.

that is what is sounds like to me, either 100 octane fuel all the time or back it down some

mine was doing that exact same thing before the latest mods and I was buying 10 gallons of 100 octane on every tank.

that is what is sounds like to me, either 100 octane fuel all the time or back it down some

mine was doing that exact same thing before the latest mods and I was buying 10 gallons of 100 octane on every tank.

I'm going to time it again next week and pile on the 93 grade to make sure

You should get a wide and air/fuel gauge set up, like one from Innovate Motorsports. The LC-1 is about $150, well worth it! It takes the guesswork out of tuning, and once you're done with it, you can up use it on another vehicle.

I just looked on their site and there is no such unit as an LC-1. LC-2 for 289.00 but nothing listed for a buck and a half. Are you sure about the model number?

Team,

So after retiming the motor a few times I've got the clatter down quite a bit, but it still shows up from time to time at around 2300 rpm, and them clears off. I went with a different dizzy and got a different exult, which leads me to believe that my timing is still the issue. No other issues sen to be cropping up, but its possible that its still too lean.

......would a stuck heat-riser cause this also?

....so my cylinder compression looks pretty solid at 175 on all driver side, and 180 per on the passenger side...the vacuume though seems a bit low, at 10-12 hg at 600-650 idle rpm. Did all the normal vac leak tests...and no real idle change.....still a bit rough, with the knock at drivers speed on acceleration......this one is a pickle....

do you run out of fuel at all with 5/16 line lol?
3/8 was standard for a 440 stock
I run 1/2 in my 505

do you run out of fuel at all with 5/16 line lol?
3/8 was standard for a 440 stock
I run 1/2 in my 505

....I have given a lot of thought to that, and am considering this as a next step.....along with the sending unit update. Going through the motions of testing the fuel pressure now.

Auto Transport Service
Back