• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Here - Buick guy that stumbled upon a 6 pack Charger

GSGN_RT

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Hi All -

My name is Lou. I am a 23 year old car guy that recently happened to be in the right place at the right time. I have the opportunity to purchase an original paint, GO mango 1970 Charger R/T 440 6 pack, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana car. Before I get into the car, a little more about my background.

I grew up around cars. After WWII, my grandfather purchased a shack, had it transported to a street corner in our residential neighborhood, and opened up a gas station in 1953. He was a Buick guy and started rebuilding dynaflow transmissions in the shack. That eventually expanded into a two bay full service station. My dad graduated High School in 1975 and took over the business around 1989. December 27th 1989 marked the day he accidentally burned the place to the ground. Fortunately, no injuries! We rebuilt and expanded into a 4 bay garage, and have been there ever since. I came along in 1994, and started helping my dad out in the early 2000s.

Now, before you yell at me for being a Buick guy, I love and appreciate all cars. My bucket list is long and diverse, and a 68-70 Charger is on that list. I mean, who doesn't want a 68-70 Charger? Currently, I own 3 classics that run and drive. My 1970 GS 455 that has been an 8 year resto (bought at 15), my 87 GN with 44,000 miles that was totaled in 2002. I bought it in 2015, put a new frame on it, and have driven it since. I also own a 71 Skylark that is a future pro-touring project.

I recently moved into a new city for my job, and my neighbor has a bunch of mopars sitting outside. Long story short, the sister-in-law inherited this estate a few months ago, and the treasures within. I am here today to inquire about a 1970 Charger 440 6 pack, its value, and what I should expect to be getting into. I'm into original and unrestored cars. Patina is what gets me going. Anybody can restore a car, not everybody gets the chance to buy an original paint 440 6 pack 4 speed car.

The car has a NOM 426? (stamped into the top of the block, doesn't look like a hemi to me) in it currently. The numbers matching 440 is in the basement, along with a 69 aluminum 3x2 intake. The carbs and air cleaner are missing. There is a matching numbers build sheet that was already decoded by the estate owner. The quarters have typical rot. The frame and floor are solid, but the trunk pan is soft. There are pinholes around the rear window. The cowl is clean, along with the fenders, doors, and hood. The grille and tail lights are pristine, and the lower tail panel is shot. It was hard to get pics, but I did my best. Let me know how to provide more detail. I am looking to this forum to hopefully get the ball rolling toward getting this gem back on the road. My plan would be to buy it, get the original 440 back in it, get it road worthy and get it in front of those who are passionate about these cars. This is the greatest find I have had, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

PS.. she put a price on it... its not cheap.
IMG_2527.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG

Looks like a solid car, welcome.

What is the asking price?

Welcome to FBBO. Sweet find. Get her back up and running to its former glory. Nice color and nothing cooler than an a12. Well maybe a hemi would be - but not by much.

Welcome to the forum!

An amazing find...6 pack chargers are rare and personally I would prefer one over a Hemi....As far as the car goes we need much more detailed pictures....

What are they asking?

Btw there are some restorations that not anyone can restore that way.....

welcome from sunny california , great find man , it must have been calling to you . keep the pics coming .

Welcome to FBBO from Georgia.

Very nice Charger.

Welcome, great find. Probably a 426 wedge block.

A picture of the VIN plate would be great. It is visible through the windshield on the driver's side of the dash. Picture(s) of the fender tag(s) would be great too. Tag(s) are mounted to the driver's fender in the engine compartment.

IMG_2530.JPG
Thanks for the warm welcome and replies! Unfortunately, I took very little exterior photos. The lighting was poor and the car has a lot around it. Attached is the vin. The fender tag is still there but rotted. The vins match on everything- block, door tag, build sheet, etc.. she wants 35K for the car "firm"... I know it's not worth that. I was thinking 20-25K, running and driving with the numbers motor installed 30K? Thoughts? I know it's difficult without pics.. especially without seeing the quarters. I'll try to get more this week.

Thanks,
Lou IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2541.JPG

If everything matches....rad support, trunk lip, vin, FT, engine, trans, BS.....Just from the pics given the body seems solid and if it is....Probably has the typical rot of a charger trunk pan, lower 1/4's etc but need pictures to determine...

35k is a not a bad price IMHO....The percentage of any six pack car having the original block is very low....Crap rust bucket SE chargers sell around 15-20 and rust bucket RT's 20ish...I have just seen a blue 70 done decent for around 80k IIRC....So depending on your skill level as to what you can tackle you can still be in the black...This car will not plummet in value btw...

Built at the St louis plant...FT and build sheet would be helpful to see...

WOW!! Great find if the asking price is right. Welcome to Mopar land my friend!! You won't be disappointed once you mash the throttle.

She isnt too high on her price. Try to get her down some if you can but in the end buy it.

That picture of the hand written sheet options/build is just that. The Broadcast/Build Sheet is it's Birth Certificate. Goodyear F60x15 polyglas? If it has Red paint on the face of the rear brake drums, maybe look around for these wheels and (center caps and trim rings (not shown)) Rallye 15 x 7. How do you know the original 440 engine in the basement is good/useable? Sounds like your plan is to drop in the 440 and bring it up to road worthiness. The 70's hood, front fenders and grill are what you would want undamaged. Trunk pan soft you say, any 'junk' in the trunk, the hard to find/expensive that you would not want to use anyway bumper jack? Not a California car I see (the paper lists chrome exhaust tips). No front license plate bracket, (from a State needing only a rear plate), no state Inspection sticker on the window. Looks like a radio antenna is still there. These are just my observations from the pictures, and still can be off base.
DSC01698.JPG

Last edited:
Clear title? Buy it.

Auto Transport Service
Back