• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Job in diferent direction

wedge69

Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Some of you that have chatted with me know that I lost my job in December. It's been a tuff deal but we are still warm and fed. My Wife who I Love dearly has worked and wanted me to take a brake anyways.
See I was a Heavy Truck and trailer road tech. I would go out anytime of the day or nite and get these big trucks rolling again. Now at being 53 tomarrow and doing this for 30+ years ( working on big equipment) I decided to try my hands at something alittle less back breaking. I have bult and sold just about anything that runs or rolls. Have had my own shop and store and realy like working with people ! My biggest PEEV these days is customer service SUCK's !
Well I went and got a new job at Lowe's !!
Working in there lawn and garden equipment department. I must tell ya I am very excited !!!
Never had a job like this before so what the hell !
My Question to you all is . You ever made a change like this and how did you feel ??

I've done a change like that. When I was younger, I worked in a restaurant kitchen. Started out as dishwasher and worked my way up to head cook. Worked country clubs, the Shriners. Thought this was my calling. But decided to try something different. Went to autobody school and truck driving school. Decided to make the driving my career (25 years) and the autobody my hobby. Who knows, in a few years I might need a change myself.

Thanks wedge69 for the interesting post. So far I have been to chicken to try a change (hauling heavy equipment for 29 yrs.) but your post has got me thinking about it again.

Started out building houses, then overhead crane operator to machinist and am now retired. Best of all is the retirement part! :D Also started to dabble in the stock market in the early 80's and did pretty good until this last downturn. Got spanked pretty hard but learned my lesson (I hope) and after several years of licking my wounds, I'm finally starting to do well again. My last really good year was 07 and was starting to get kinda worried because just the cost of living was more than my income was but if this year continues like it's been doing in the last couple of months, a heavy load will lift off my chest. Sure don't want to go back to working for someone else and with 63 being right around the corner, don't know who would hire me anyways.

Happy 53rd birthday, I hope all works out for you... some times when one door shuts another much better door & opportunity will come of it... good luck & best wishes @ LOWES, you sound like a go getter to me, you should do well....

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! I am ready to get out of the house and make alittle green fo my Runner parts !
All my shop money has gone into the bills so if I can work a day job my play money will be back.

Birthday and new job? **** what's next a new 71' cuda with a hemi and a 4 speed? lol cheer's! and congrats on the Job and B-day!

I did something similar when I retired from the telecommunications industry and went to work for the local NAPA auto parts store. I wasn't making as much money but the change of scene was good. I always wanted to work in an automotive business and I enjoyed getting up and going to work in the morning. Hopefully Lowe's will recognize your work ethic and customer service skills. Good luck to you.

I've gone in a lot of different directions over the years and I think it's a good thing. Customer service experience is great to have as that opens a lot of doors. Get into sales and management as well while you're working there. There's no telling what you'll be learning at Lowes that'll be the key element in you getting a better job.

Good luck with your new job! If and when I make a change it will have nothing to do with the general public! Some days its great but there are a lot of a-holes out there! ha ha ha

Congrats. I've been really impressed with how knowledgeable the people that work at Lowes are when I go in needing to buy something to do plumbing or electrical stuff at my house. I always end up getting some good tips and advice. But then I always search for someone that looks like they are at least as old as me!

Thank you guys I realy like the support and familyness.

Last edited:
It must be nice to know that you'll be doing a job that will be less demanding and once you go out the door, the job won't follow you home. Good luck!!!

I LOVE change!

I went from working at GM in Australia (painting cars and later being a test driver for them), to starting my own internet company in the early 90's, to moving to Finland, becoming an IT lecturer, and now, to owning a large company here.

So I would say change is GREAT!

I went from being a grocery store clerk to a mechanical tech at a national lab. Best move I ever did, and that lab job eventually led to my own business rebuilding turbomolecular pumps.

I'm glad you found something that keeps you employed that you are excited about. I bet with your past experience you will be a rock star.

Another quick note, the guy that I used to buy by jet boat parts from, and seek advice on general boat repair, sadly closed down his shop. This guy had more knowledge about boats (especially jet boats) in his pinky finger than most people had in a lifetime. I believe he helped develop some of the high performance upgrades for the Berkeley pumps in the 70's. Maybe a year after his shop was gone I saw him at the local hardware store and he was doing OK.

Thats Great ! I am looking forward to not haveing to worry every time the phone rings for sure !!!
Nice to be able to leave work and do your own thing .

Auto Transport Service
Back