• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New tire question

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 RR. Ihad 245/60/15 Dunlops on it. I've got BF Goodrich t/a 235/60/15 for it. When i put them on, the left frt tire rubbed on a hard left turn while the frt end was on jack stands. The rt frt tire didn't rub on hard right turn while on jack stands. I was thinking the brand of tire might have had something to do with it. I switched to a BF t/a 235/70/15 & it still rubs on a hard lft turn while on jack stands. It rubs the upper ctrl arm. When i lower the car, it looks like the tire does not rub. Is there a problem or is this normal.

Chuck

On jack stands with full extension of the suspension? How often do you turn hard left or right with the suspension fully extended? And is the tire or the wheel rubbing? I have a 95 Dakota with 8" wide wheel and the edge (bead lip) of the wheels rubs the upper control arm edge next to the ball joint whenever I'm getting air :D

It should NEVER rub! You have a bent spindle or wheel. Maybe have a diff wheel on one side.

Not normal. Do you have to much backspacing on the wheel?

The tire are off the ground. Suspension if fully extended. It's a tire rub only the left frt tire. Rubs on the upper cntrl arm.

Chuck

It should NEVER rub! You have a bent spindle or wheel. Maybe have a diff wheel on one side.
I've had several cars where one side was closer than the other....and no, things were not bent or crashed at some time. These cars are not as accurate as you think. Body tolerance was like 1/4" or more in some areas. Heck, even improper alignment can mean one side might rub while the other side might not....

I believe all wheels are the same. Can't see any bent spindle. Again it's only with a fully extended suspension on jack stands with wheels off the ground.

Chuck

Put the wheels on the ground and see how it does....

Try with the wheels on the ground as Cranky mentioned, then get back to us.

With the wheels on the ground it's looks fine. I have'nt driven it yet. But with the larger 245/60/15's on it I never had a driveabilty problem. Also i never checked the prior tires off the ground making a full left turn. I probably never made a full left turn with the wheels off the ground. Also is there any issues with having a 235/70/15 on it instead of the 235/60/15's cause the 70's are a taller tire?????

Chuck

Last edited:
I have 245/60/15's wheels 15x8 mag 500's Mickey Thompson tires and no rub, don't think I ever tried to go full swing on it with it up in the air hmmm did you say you had 7" rims?

I don't know what size the rims are. They are factory ralley wheels.

Chuck

7" I think was factory should be ok why are you concerned if you know they don't rub on the ground? worried about excessive wheel travel?

I'm not sure i have a legitimate concern or not. I mostly wanted to find out if a concern exists. I found it odd that both wheels elevated off the ground one rubbed & the other one didn't.

Chuck

Last edited:
think you will be fine now go out and burn some of those new tires off!

I'm not sure i have a legitimate concern or not. I mostly wanted to find out if a concern exists. I found it odd that both wheels elevated off the ground one rubbed & the other one didn't.

Chuck

If you get yourself into a situation while driving the car where the front suspension is all the way unloaded and the steering is turned all the way locked (one way or the other) you are in bigger trouble than a tire rub. If there's no tire rub while driving normally I wouldn't worry about it. Just check the tires occasionally for wear spots.

Auto Transport Service
Back