• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to B Bodies, long time Mopar fan New 68' RR owner

Mstone68440RR

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
My first car was a Mopar............1973 318 Charger through High school. Blew the motor and swapped it out to a mildly built 360, had it painted, detailed the engine compartment etc. Hit Carlsbad raceway a few times before it closed, running a best of 14.80 at 97 mph in 2nd gear though the traps. No posi and 2.76 gears didn't help my ET any :laughing11:

Fast forward about 25 years, married with two teenagers I had the opportunity to pick up a pretty clean 1968 Roadrunner about a month ago and I was able to pull the trigger. My dream car has always been a 68 440/HEMI RT Charger, but those are a little out of my league at today's prices. So the opportunity to own a bad *** 68 B body was a no brainer. I hadn't even owned it 30 minutes when I pulled into a gas station, immediately and older guy approached checking out my new ride asking questions........................."how long have you had it?" he asked. " About 30 minutes" I replied with a huge smile :thumbsup:

Had the RR dyno tested before the purchase, 300hp and 300 ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels from the non-stock 440. 727 Torqueflight, 8-3/4 742 rear end w/ 3.91 gears. Fiberglass hood with Grabber scoop, stock interior in very nice shape, Hurst slap shifter, after market gauge cluster. Pretty much an original California car built in LA in good condition. It is a 20 footer, as the paint is 20+ years old, with a few chips and blemishes but still shines up nice.

No big plans on upgrades for a bit as the purchase ate up all all of my free cash. Had the windows tinted at my buddies shop to keep it cool in the summer. Probably upgrade the intake manifold from the original older Torker that is on it now. Sooner or later will hit Barona 1/8th mile drag strip to see what kind of numbers it will do.

I still have my 73 Charger parked on the side of the house, my son has expressed interest in driving it. He is 15 now so it will be fun to have a father son project to return it to it's former glory. Looking forward to re-learning everything I have forgotten plus a whole lot more.

Here a few pictures of the Roadrunner

IMG_1661_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1640_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1638_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1633_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1680_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1685_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1684_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1681_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Welcome from Maine! Have fun with that RR!

Welcome to the site. Great looking car you 'settled' for.

hi and welcome to the site very nice 68 bird and that red really pops out thanks for sharing ,and keep us up to date on your charger father son build .:headbang:

Very cool car and neat story! It is fun to hear that you still have your original 73 Charger and that your son is interested in driving it. My first car was a 73 Road Runner. When my son turned 16, I gave it to him as his first car and bought myself a 70 Road Runner that has always been my favorite car.

My 73 Road Runner is priceless, and certainly NOT because of it market value. I met my wife through that car, my best friend borrowed it and took his future wife out on a date in that car, etc. etc. Now my son drives it and loves it. He also RESPECTS the car due to its unique history.

Here is a picture of my son sitting on his future car taken at a car show in 1997...
Hawk_Brad.jpg

That's a nasty lookin' yard bird!!

Welcome aboard, nice find!

Thanks for the welcome guys, I just dug up some 25 year old pictures of my 73 Charger and the just finished engine swap from late 80's. Scanned them in so they aren't the best.................but it sure does bring back memories.

scan0007.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan00062.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan00022.jpg

Welcome and good luck with the father & son bonding project....enjoy every minute as it flies by fast.

Love them RR's welcome to FBBO from NorCal

Auto Transport Service
Back