• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Brake Lights or Rear Flashers

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello i am in need of some advice on my 1969 GTX i drove it home the other day and found out i have no stop lights or rear flashers the tail lights work fine and the turn signals work fine. I checked the brake switch its ok as well as the fuses all i can tell is if i put the turn signal lever to the left then the right stop light works but when i put the lever back to center it goes out also when i put the lever to the left both lights emergency flash but back to center they quit. when i put the lever to the right nothing happens except the turn signal i am thinking turn signal switch?? any help is appreciated.

Yes, sounds like a TS switch. The brake light circuit runs thru the TS switch.

That is what i think i will check the only thing i did do that i forgot to mention is i did replace the ts canceler about 4 months ago i wonder if it is junk i got it from O'reily's and it is a BWD brand the switch itself is still oem. Dose anybody know which wire dose what at the ts switch itself.

get a new switch, stop trying to patch it together...you will be better off in the long run

That is what i think i will check the only thing i did do that i forgot to mention is i did replace the ts canceler about 4 months ago i wonder if it is junk i got it from O'reily's and it is a BWD brand the switch itself is still oem. Dose anybody know which wire dose what at the ts switch itself.
The white wire comes from stop lite sw, 12v with brake applied. Out from the sw is dark green to the body connector to rear stop lites. power in power out no power out bad ts sw.

So if i have 12v at the white wire at the ts switch then i should be able to take a test lead from white to dark green and with the brake peddle pushed my brake lights should come on if they do, dose that lead me to the canceler part that makes the connection. Thanks for all the help everybody i will test it out

Use a fused jumper, if the lites come on the T.S. sw internal contacts are no good. Very common on a 40 plus year old car. It is easier to probe with a test lite. Still no lites when jumpered then check the 6 pin connector to the body harness by the left kick panel. I am using my 68 wiring diagram but should be close or the same. I think there are free to use diagrams here on FBBO in archives.

PM me your phone # and I can walk you through if this dont help... George...

FIXED (temporally) I took it apart today to do some testing per the great advice i got from everybody and found that the x contact wire on the canceler one of them was not touching good enough bent it for more contact and wala everything works so it is good for now but i will be on the hunt for a new switch (dose anybody have a recommendation who sells a good vs bad quality one)assemble and replace it not in a hurry now that the snow is falling. Will put a new assemble in it this next spring or the next time we have a warm day to do it without freezing. Thanks again for all the great advice to help me get my pride back on the road SAFELY.

Go over on A bodies and look up Slant Six Dan.He sales (or knows who does) THE best turn signal switch assembly.They are the factory type that has a "wheel" for the horn contact instead of the cheap pin type.I've used them both.Best is they cost the same. Also I have found that the repo pin type in cold weather is very stiff and you will swear that it is going to break. The one from Dan is much better.Just a thought.....

Auto Transport Service
Back