• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Factory torque boxes...USCT front and rear Torque Boxes ordered, What else would you do?

1970 V code B body cars did not have torque boxes, only Hemi cars and convertibles did. E body V code cars did have torque boxes in 1970 and 1971. All 1971 B bodies had torque boxes when equipped with 440 4 barrel,440 Sixpack/Six barrel,and 426 Hemi. I have owned a 69 1/2 A 12 Superbee,a 70 V code Road Runner,and A V code 70 Charger R/T,and none of them had torque boxes. My friend is restoring his 70 v code GTX and it does not have them either. Because the E body V code cars had them,most assume that the b body cars did too,and they did not. I'm confident your Road Runner,and Jerrys Superbird are legit.

Last edited:
I'm confident your Road Runner,and Jerrys Superbird are legit.
It's a good thing I didn't panic and strip the paint off of the radiator support and rear quarter panel trunk area, where the VIN appears, matching the fender tag and VIN on my dash, looking for evidence that someone sectioned in those stampings...
:realcrazy:

20180911_075324.jpg
My 70 Charger R/T V code car has a Galen Govier inspection report, and if it was supposed to have them, then he surely would have noticed it. I have not seen any 70 V code B body cars that had them from the factory. I thought that they were supposed to have them when I bought my 70 V code Road Runner, it was a 4 speed manual transmission, 4.10 Dana 60 equipped car,and it didn't have them either. When I asked about it on Moparts, that's when I was told that they did not have them, only convertible cars and Hemi cars did in 1970.

Last edited:
Ok lets clear this up now, v code coupes and hard tops did not have torque boxes in 1970.
Good enough?

Correct! I just don't want to see him grinding paint off his done Road Runner, only to find out after that they never had them!

20200531_172938.jpg
My friends 69 Dart GTS 383 4 speed car has them ,front and rear.

Last edited:
Ok lets clear this up now, v code coupes and hard tops did not have torque boxes in 1970.
Good enough?
I've been "over" my unwarranted concerns since June 29th, after a few more posts and research here and elsewhere.
My post here:
@440+6 ...neener-neener!:poke::lol::D
Torque boxes, subframe connectors, and inner and outer front spring hanger plates are installed!
was just having a little fun with you as your "kidding" me or your expression of exasperation with the number of times I've written "real V-code" really had me concerned, but I got over it.
I'm not even concerned about someone only reading the part of the thread where posts were casting doubt on MY car being a rebodied car, or not a real V-code, because there is proof in this thread and elsewhere, and on the car itself that it is. But that was a concern, at one time, and it's not funny (to me) when you are talking about thousands of dollars less resale value, but that doesn't concern me much as it relates to me doing what I want, and I AM conscientious about that, to a point, like when someone posts something that desparages my car in a manner that could have that affect and what they're posting isn't true.
So as far as I'm concerned, we are OK @440+6
Got good news from the mechanic Friday, and things are moving along. I ordered a can of Street Hemi Orange from Mancini Racing so the engine can be touched up.
Of course, I researched the correct color before I ordered it.
Still waiting for American Powertrain to let me know when they ship out the Mopar 18 spline hydraulic throwout bearing, aluminum anti spin spacer and shims, instead of the FORD one they sent as the replacement for the 23 spline wrong one they sent to begin with....
"This is good enough" seemed to be their attitude regarding the FORD piece they sent, without asking me, and I felt like, well...

Sorry, but I want the pool.
It should be shipped late this week.

my 70 V code Road Runner, it was a 4 speed manual transmission, 4.10 Dana 60 equipped car
:lowdown: :thumbsup: :bananadance:Yeah buddy! That was one "enthusiastic customer" who checked off those boxes, or a dealer who was looking for a unit with serious kick *** capabilities!
There's NO WAY I could live with the 4.10 if I only had a 1:1 final transmission gear ratio. As it is, I guessed the 3.80 ring and pinion gearset I had Quick Performance put in the 9" rear axle assembly for my wife's GTO was on the aggressive side of a ratio that would help 1320 performance but still be ok on the highway if she kept the 4 speed Muncie...Well one trip to Gulfport Dragway the end of February, once I got the expertly modified Rochester 2bbl carbs on the Tripower back on and did an initial tune, proved me wrong about that. I was very uncomfortable with the RPMs the 421 was spinning at 70 mph, and very very relieved we had a TKO600 in the garage ready to go in.
Now if we plan on "road tripping" for a couple of years, I may put my 3.54 gearset back in, but in reality the 4.10s are so much fun, and with the Passon 855 I'm only at 2,750 @ 72 mph in 5th with the 4.10s and my relatively small diameter 25.8" tires. It's more likely I'd just throw some taller tires on it, but I'd have to do some calculations.
Still, WHEW! a 4.10 behind a 440 6bbl from the factory!?! that's got to make for a miserable time on the highway, unless you don't mind the engine screaming.

On the other hand, I used to have a (looked like a GTO) 1972 LeMans endura nosed convertible with the 455 HO engine. Before I bought it ($1,000) someone had installed 4.56 gears into the 12 bolt. Yes, it revved a lot on the freeway, but it was as smooth as an electric motor and not a bother at all. It sure pulled hard without needing passing gear...but unfortunately it wouldn't go past about 90 before it red-lined at 5200 rpm. Not the gears I would have put in, especially with all that torque but it really didn't bother me.

Yeah, that's EXTRA crazy! A fairly low redline big block, convertible, w/4.56 gears...

On the other hand, I used to have a (looked like a GTO) 1972 LeMans endura nosed convertible with the 455 HO engine. Before I bought it ($1,000) someone had installed 4.56 gears into the 12 bolt. Yes, it revved a lot on the freeway, but it was as smooth as an electric motor and not a bother at all. It sure pulled hard without needing passing gear...but unfortunately it wouldn't go past about 90 before it red-lined at 5200 rpm. Not the gears I would have put in, especially with all that torque but it really didn't bother me.
That's an 1/8 mile gear and untouchable light to light!:steering:

That's an 1/8 mile gear and untouchable light to light!:steering:
My former 69 1/2 A 12 Sixpack Superbee, had a Dana 60 rear with 4.88 gears,blistering 1/8th mile car with 6 barrels wide open! Too much fun! And for the record, the A12 Superbee did not have torque boxes either.
20180326_162153.jpg
20180326_162202.jpg
20180326_162216.jpg

Last edited:
I know these torque boxes add strength to the car body. So here is my question. Is ur car devalued by this mod? Numbers matching or not as ur car is not factory original anymore. Thanks. Kim

Hotchkis makes a bolt in subframe connectors that bolt into the four bolts that hold in the front leaf spring mounting brackets. I probably would have went with those instead of welding in aftermarket torque boxes. Now that I am keeping my 70 Charger R / T V code car, I am considering putting them in it,for that very reason, I don't want to do any mods that will devalue the car.

I know these torque boxes add strength to the car body. So here is my question. Is ur car devalued by this mod? Numbers matching or not as ur car is not factory original anymore. Thanks. Kim
Hotchkis makes a bolt in subframe connectors that bolt into the four bolts that hold in the front leaf spring mounting brackets. I probably would have went with those instead of welding in aftermarket torque boxes. Now that I am keeping my 70 Charger R / T V code car, I am considering putting them in it,for that very reason, I don't want to do any mods that will devalue the car.
This is one of "those" decisions, effect on resale value vs the necessity and/or desire to make a modification, where effectiveness is weighed against diminishment in resale value. One of the reasons why I chose the USCT subframe connectors is because they weld in their entire length and follow the zig zag of the floorpans, making them the most effective subframe connectors available.
You see, for me, the greatest VALUE of my car is the ENJOYMENT I have in all aspects of ownership, and that includes the performance of the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back