• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No More Whining!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok. I just finished pulling the 3.8 out of the 2008 Chrysler T&C I purchased as my new winter beater. Until you perform this job from hell do not ever complain about dropping the drive train out of a real car.
Mike
IMG_2680.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG

I would change the engine mounts while you're at it.

Those aren't too bad. At least with chryslers you can reach into most areas.
*STAY AWAY FROM THE TURBO FORD PIECES OF *****
20220808_150919.jpg
20220808_150856.jpg

You haven't lived until you pull a AWD Drivetrain out the bottom. At home. At least I have a hoist. And then realize the motor spit a rod behind the starter where you couldn't see. Crank won't turn. The motor won't slide far enough forward for the converter to come out of the transmission. It cant tilt up far enough for the oil pan to clear the cradle. The cradle setting on jack stands and have it ratchet strapped to the car on the hoist. The cradle falls off the jack stands and finally it comes apart. The you torch off the flex plate around the bolts to save the converter. Then set the cradle back up on 6x6 and plumb bob the bolt holes so its close when it's lowered back down. With yu wife running the hoist you pry bar the cradle into position and bolt it back in.
Doug

Didn't know ya had to drop the motor to winterize the veehickel - damn hey

I bought the van with the knowledge that it had a "tic". After buying a new battery, I found the "tic" was really a "knock". It did start after 18 months of sitting, immediately. I have been daily driving a 1998 Neon R/T since 2006 but, it has structural rust damage and over 280,000 miles and has been my winter beater since 2018. I use my 1965 Coronet for my non winter daily driver now.
Mike
IMG_1189.JPG

Update: #6 rod-big end was the knock. Bores are good and so are the pistons (buying new) but the last 2 rods do not look good. They are "cracked cap" design, so I guess 2 new rods are on the list too. It appears little maintenance was afforded this little motor. The plugs appear to be OEM (huge gaps) and one broke off at the top of the threads so, that's still in the head; and the shock sleeves are rusted half off (struts also). It ran and drove pretty good though. I paid $2,000.00 for this so I will make out, hopefully!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back