• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nut found at bottom of bell housing in trans

cthalite3

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 RR and there was a rattling noise which i discovered is inside trans at idle only. took fly wheel cover off and found a nut 5/16th or 1/4 at bottom of housing. any ideas where nut goes before I drop trans? I herd it might be in torque converter.

a picture would go miles. a flywheel is in a manual trans, a torque converter is an auto

On autos the TQ has bolts to the flex plate. 4 speed?

it's an auto. 727 i believe. IMG_2217.jpgIMG_2219.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

it's an auto. 727 i believe. IMG_2217.jpgIMG_2219.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

took silver plate off and found nut in bottom. if u PM me your email address i can send u video of sound. i added picture of trans.

- - - Updated - - -

took silver plate off and found nut in bottom. if u PM me your email address i can send u video of sound. i added picture of trans.

do you have a pic of the "nut" there are "bolts" that hold the converter on

I didn't take a picture of it. I should have. but it's small. I can't upload video of car running either.

- - - Updated - - -

car is in my buddy's garage and he's not home right now.

Other than the TQ bolts and the screws that hold the inspection cover on and the bolts that hold the shaft seal in place, there are no other items that have a connection. Sounds like who ever did the last service left it in there.

A flywheel is in both. What do you think your starter engages to spin the engine?

a converter is not called a flywheel. the starter engages the ring gear that is welded to the converter. autos have flexplates and converters , not flywheels. would you order a flywheel for an automatic transmission? no , you order a converter. in most cases , you can buy a seperate ring gear
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPbkEyuW7tNm28U9nUmbjjG0NBnEidcE_ooemsQOA7yRFZOHs4HQ.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb9mU5L2iHNEodqa8NRKL67LQl9j6_rHygBrmakrlHFrQdRRAYKQ.jpg

A flywheel is in both. What do you think your starter engages to spin the engine?

In an auto, the starter engages the torque converter, since the starter ring gear is part of the converter. In a manual, the starter engages the starter ring gear which is pressed on to the flywheel. There is no flywheel in an automatic trans Mopar. Only a flexplate.

I bought car back in April, we made a pass w him to test him out. From there car was put on truck, shipped to my home, and it has sat in the garage ever since. it never made that noise before and all i've been doing is starting him up every week or so. Then one day it starts making that noise. So maybe ur right, it could of been who ever was in the trans last and they didn't tighten up something. I'll prolly drop trans in the near future n see whats going on. I was just trying to see if there was something i could do without dropping it.

So why 2 different posts? 2 different nuts in two different transmissions? This kinds stupidness is why people don't want screw around with helpin anybody.

Sounds to me like it was something that got left in the bellhousing area on assembly. There are no nuts the size you describe in the bellhousing area on anything.......of course that's just a guess since the offending nut has yet to be seen.

Seems like someone may have left a nut in there somehow the last time it was worked on. There is nothing that size except the bolts that hold the inspection cover on.

EDIT: LOL! Looks like Rusty already covered that.

You don't have to pull the trans- remove the inspection cover and fish the nut out. Rotate the engine with the crank bolt (disconnect battery) and make sure all the convertor bolts are there and tight. Reinstall cover and drive it like you sytole it!

Didn't mean to post it twice. Tried to erase one but found out u can't do tht. But thanks everyone for all ur assistance.

Auto Transport Service
Back