• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM undercoating

moparchris

Local time
2:21 AM
Reaction score
What have you guys found for an aftermarket undercoating that replicates the Mopar oem style undercoating on our typical 66-72 era cars? I have tried several over the years and never really been happy with the results. Closest I have found is 3M Body Shutz but it is awfully messy if you are just trying to patch a small area. Any ideas or suggestions??
Thanks

I don't have an answer and would like to see what people say. On my car it was 99% still intact and looked like it would be a royal pain in the butt to remove. My plan is to shoot over the original stuff with rattle can undercoating just to turn it black again. Of course, my car is only going to be a driver.

On the other side of things. I heated and scraped off all of the factory undercoating off of my Challenger and wiped off the remaining with mineral spirits. Removed from everywhere. The floors, frame rails, wheel wells etc. Once done it was 47 lbs off of the car (now a street/strip car). After, I swept up into plastic shopping bags. I weighed them.

I'm going to try and touch up some spots on my hemi GTX and would like to find something really thick and course textured like the old original style.

I have also used the 3M body schutz to apply and also saturated a nappy coarse house roller for paint with the Schutz and rolled over the applied schutz to make the texture look more coarse and more textured. Came out looking good.

On the other side of things. I heated and scraped off all of the factory undercoating off of my Challenger and wiped off the remaining with mineral spirits. Removed from everywhere. The floors, frame rails, wheel wells etc. Once done it was 47 lbs off of the car (now a street/strip car). After, I swept up into plastic shopping bags. I weighed them.

You should have saved it, mixed it with some mineral spirits, and sold it in gallon jugs as OEM Undercoating. Not NOS but slightly used!

I used resto ricks see link for pics

post #1163

Thanks. This sounds like an option.
I have also used the 3M body schutz to apply and also saturated a nappy coarse house roller for paint with the Schutz and rolled over the applied schutz to make the texture look more coarse and more textured. Came out looking good.

I wonder if that would work on the inside of the quarter panels in the trunk area. Looks like some type of undercoating, but not completely covered, then body color painted.

I have used the 3M Body shutz product on inner quarter panels and it works really well for that area. You need an undercoating gun to shoot it. No spray can . It's just really difficult to lay under a car and try to use the gun to spot in small areas.

Auto Transport Service
Back