• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off to the body & paint shop today

Actually, it looks a little like Mario. @MarPar
:poke:(ducks)

Thanks Dave...

finger.gif

:rofl:

Sorry Mario - LOL
:drinks:

It was just the glasses and the facial hair that made me think of you. Love ya Buddy!:rolleyes:

Mine's about the same color and faded....not sure if I will try anything on it....want to be driving and not worrying when it's parked somewhere besides my driveway !

Yep sure looked good to me. But that is what pic's do for you. To see it in person may be different. Good luck with the paint. :thumbsup:

Yes, there is lead, which surprises me because I thought that vinyl roof cars got that factory cheap-*** bondo.
Mine got the body filler. I ground it out since it was cracked but sprayed epoxy primer and reapplied filler. Some strongly suggest using lead but mine was done right and has not cracked. I drive the car hard but I do have torque boxes and frame connectors.
Glad to see some progress is being made.

For whatever reasons (probably easier on them), the shop that did the fixin' on mine last summer
actually melted out all the lead in the seams and replaced it with filler.
(It had a rash on one side in the paint from the PO in one seam; obviously, Charlie had a few too
many on that prep day before paint :) ).
It kind of ticked me off that they did that without asking beforehand, but the results were fine, so....

Don't know if it is wise or not, but I always melt out the lead and weld the seam solid before spreading Duraglass over it.

That looks like Polyester glazing putty on there. He is just using it to fill minor imperfections, most of it will end up on the floor. It's just to get the panels perfectly straight.

Mine got the body filler. I ground it out since it was cracked but sprayed epoxy primer and reapplied filler. Some strongly suggest using lead but mine was done right and has not cracked. I drive the car hard but I do have torque boxes and frame connectors.
Glad to see some progress is being made.
Used all metal in those weld joint's praying they will hold up. But used the solider on the A pillars where the upper cowl goes on them. Bought it form east wood it was easy to work with. Not a dangerous as lead. Good job looking good.

Some updates. Because the rear window channel had some nasty rot/rust that was poorly fixed, a replacement dutchman panel was installed...

-2916999542336705003.jpg

6574192117982100254.jpg

Lead work repair on the cowl & rockers....

-2413505670451373641.jpg

-6599351204801912638 (1).jpg

5206533544562132412.jpg

Always scary when the paint comes off! Looks like they have it well in hand Mark! When do they pull the glass and interior.. LOL

Always scary when the paint comes off! Looks like they have it well in hand Mark! When do they pull the glass and interior.. LOL

That is true. This previous damage in front of the LR wheel opening had about 1/2" of bondo in it. That was the worst hit that the car has taken, which isn't bad. The bad metal was cut out and new metal welded in.

8531212367295213020.jpg

Even though the car wore most of its original paint (LF fender & LR quarter repainted), there were enough dings, scrapes & buffed-too-thin paint that bothered me. I'm glad that I've gone this route.

Auto Transport Service
Back