• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offset fan vs regular fan

Snowbug778

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Howdy yall, i have a 440 big block and have a regular fan with 6 blades, and i have another regular with 8 blades and then i have an offset fan with five blades, its a hot rod and with that being said what would be the best fan for the car, and what are the differences between all of them and the pros and con of each one? I sadly dont have pictures of them

Go with what was original to the car. Factory knew what they were doing. Sounds to me you have different year fans. List part numbers if you cant load pics.

Go with what was original to the car. Factory knew what they were doing. Sounds to me you have different year fans. List part numbers if you cant load pics.
I will cjekc when i get home, thats why i dont have the pics, i think the offset was off my dads 383 or another 440 and idk where the 8 blade came from some guy at a swap meet wanted to go home and comes up to us and says i have this fan yall can have it and we got a really pretty red fan

I will cjekc when i get home, thats why i dont have the pics, i think the offset was off my dads 383 or another 440 and idk where the 8 blade came from some guy at a swap meet wanted to go home and comes up to us and says i have this fan yall can have it and we got a really pretty red fan
I take it back i have three extra fans laying around
IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

IMG_7275.jpeg

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7280.jpeg

The DC (and later MP) fan and thermo clutch packages used a five blade fan.

Of those three, I would run the stock steel six blade.
IMO.....I would gether up, ALL THE ASSEMBLIES WITH THE FLEXIBLE BLADE ELEMENTS, and deposit them in the round file or dust bin (if you're from U.K.). And purchase a Mopar 7 blade fixed pitch aluminum blade assembly to use with a thermal drive or torque drive clutch assembly. The fan clutch drive assembly will save you some H.P. at high RPM contests, while the 7 blade aluminum fan assembly in conjunction with clutch assembly will provide sufficient air flow thru the radiator to prevent overheating during cruise outings. Tony's Parts is a good source for what to need. Flex fans are dangerous and can disintegrate at any time, without warning........
BOB RENTON

IMO.....I would gether up, ALL THE ASSEMBLIES WITH THE FLEXIBLE BLADE ELEMENTS, and deposit them in the round file or dust bin (if you're from U.K.). And purchase a Mopar 7 blade fixed pitch aluminum blade assembly to use with a thermal drive or torque drive clutch assembly. The fan clutch drive assembly will save you some H.P. at high RPM contests, while the 7 blade aluminum fan assembly in conjunction with clutch assembly will provide sufficient air flow thru the radiator to prevent overheating during cruise outings. Tony's Parts is a good source for what to need. Flex fans are dangerous and can disintegrate at any time, without warning........
BOB RENTON
Good to know right now im using the stock one that works good

That five blade fan looks like it might be for use with a clutch, like forforty said. Better check bolt pattern if your planning on direct drive off the water pump.

The 5 or the 6. Mechanical bolt patterns. I don't like flex fans either.
The 6 blade seems to have weird tips on it, might create more interference fit

The 5 or the 6. Mechanical bolt patterns. I don't like flex fans either.
The 6 blade seems to have weird tips on it, might create more interference fit
so i stuck the 6 in and noticed its a tiny bit smaller, i had to drill the holes to make the bolts fix which wasnt a big deal but its like a tiny tiny bit smaller. will that affect my coolness at all? i figured out i had a flex fan in the car similair to the red one infact it almost was just stronger blades. i stuck it in the back of my car incase i need to change it out (overheat) but do you guys think the tiny bit smaller part will make anything worse?

Are you using a shroud? Fan should be inside 1/3 of the shroud . Fan does not need to be right on top of the radiator.

so i stuck the 6 in and noticed its a tiny bit smaller, i had to drill the holes to make the bolts fix which wasnt a big deal but its like a tiny tiny bit smaller. will that affect my coolness at all? i figured out i had a flex fan in the car similair to the red one infact it almost was just stronger blades. i stuck it in the back of my car incase i need to change it out (overheat) but do you guys think the tiny bit smaller part will make anything worse?
How much smaller is a "tiny bit" smaller. Tiny bit smaller = 1" or 1/2" or ??? Blade dimensions + operating RPM = CFM air flow ......
BOB RENTON

Guess all you can do is run it and find out. What car and engine?

How much smaller is a "tiny bit" smaller. Tiny bit smaller = 1" or 1/2" or ??? Blade dimensions + operating RPM = CFM air flow ......
BOB RENTON
Its about 1/2 an inch smaller blade length and witdh

IMG_7322.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back