• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil heat gurus

Sounds like the burner control failed.

i love throwing electronic parts at a problem...... maybe I'll start with the circuit board, it's cheaper........ I put one in my hotdog heater, so they do go bad

Did you pull it out, use some glass cleaner on it and put it back in?
It didn't energize the pump. That occurs before checking for light so it's almost certainly the burner control.

I had an old one in my shop way back, and it was always the flame sensor in the exhaust pipe

What, he says it lights and then went out....

that was before...... things got progressively worse lol, I pulled things apart checking connections......put it back together, did the reset thing and the light stopped flashing like it should........ but now the controller just hums a little; but nothing else happens

that was before...... things got progressively worse lol, I pulled things apart checking connections......put it back together, did the reset thing and the light stopped flashing like it should........ but now the controller just hums a little; but nothing else happens
When the fire eye went on mine it would only reset a few times,then it wouldn't do anything at all.

Well ya really fawked that up didn't ya! Generally it's something stupid... you did turn up the thermostat again after playing?! Wire marret that you lost a wire on?

a little history..... heater was brand new in 2006, it's in the shop; so it doesn't get the amount of use it would in a house; it's in excellent condidtion

in 2007, I discovered the hard way that a tree branch grew around the wires coming to the house from the pole. We got a storm and somehow wires touched and rubbed together, sending a voltage spike through the house........ everything electronic got fried, even a surge strip melted. Fire company came out, house filled with smoke, it was a fiasco.

I don't remember actually doing it, but that winter when I turned on my heat, nothing happened..... I didn't think about the heater when everything else fried. So I replaced the controller and the circuit board and it has worked ever since. The old parts were still in my heater room. I swapped both the old board and controller in separately and still got nothing....... I been pulling my pud all night with this thing :jackoff:

1706844942634.png

1706844809117.png

IMG_20240201_223710648_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
If the cad cell is shorted(made) before a call for heat, the control won't energize the motor or transformer. Did you ohm it out?

Have you checked the fan limit switch or switches. That turns the burner off if a too high of temperature is observed. Some furnaces have more than one like Olsen's and the second one is hidden behind another components.

fan limit switch.jpg

after looking at things and gaining an understanding, I'm gonna venture out into the cold with my multi meter...... this thing will not defeat me, and I'll have heat by this afternoon........ wish me luck, and thanks fellas :)

Auto Transport Service
Back